On Tue, Feb 20, 2024 at 10:28:06AM +0000, Ihor Radchenko wrote: > Matt writes: > > > The blub implementation has the same shortcomings, at least for shells, as the current shell implementation. It has a few ideas, such as everything being asynchronous and completely removing the prompt, that may prove useful for improving Babel generally. The blub implementation is also simpler than related parts of Babel and may be useful for figuring out ways to solve the currently known shortcomings. If you run into an error during execution, you will need to call (setq my-org-babel-comint--async-uuid nil). > > Doing everything asynchronously is not always desired. > Consider, for example, > > #+begin_src bash > echo "Contents" > /tmp/tmpfile > #+end_src bash > > #+begin_src bash > cat /tmp/tmpfile # I must run after /tmp/tmpfile is created! > #+end_src You "just" [1] need a way of stating dependencies :-) Cheers [1] In quotes, because this opens a vast space of interesting and strange worlds. The functional folks have their monads, the compiler backend builders have their dependency graphs. Definitely doable, but treading with care will be helpful to not step into a mess :-) Cheers -- t