From: Russell Adams <RLAdams@adamsinfoserv.com>
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Regarding arbitrary Org blocks
Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 20:39:45 +0200	[thread overview]

On Wed, May 11, 2022 at 09:23:27PM +0300, Daniel Fleischer wrote:
> Russell Adams [2022-05-11 Wed 18:14] wrote:
>
> > Could I add some minor mode to say text-mode with auto-fill-mode and
> > aspell somewhere when opening those blocks?
>
> Hi! If you're editing text why do you need a special buffer? You can
> edit them in the orgmode buffer and enjoy all its textual features.

First up, it's because it used to work and now it doesn't. ;]

Second it can be very useful to work on a sub-buffer, or indirect
buffer for some content. Why shouldn't I be able to edit the contents
of that block inside an indirect buffer where my beginning-of-buffer,
end-of-buffer, word wrap, or global find and replace are constrained
to that block of text?

This works for example blocks, but no longer for verse and quote
blocks. These are native Org block types and not my fanciful made up
ones. Why should the popup work for example blocks, but not the
others? That borders on a bug, where my question was considered as a
configuration question.

Finally when you edit in the popup buffer, the results are indented
which makes the document more legible. Regular text tools do that
inconsistently.

> The special buffer is for major modes which are not orgmode such as
> programming languages or latex which use different
> completions/highlighting/minor-modes and editing them in orgmode is
> a hassle.

I think what I am using were once called "special blocks". You're
referring to source blocks. They have many more features but are
outside the question.

https://orgmode.org/manual/Special-blocks-in-LaTeX-export.html

Thanks.

                                    https://www.adamsinfoserv.com/