* `org-fill-paragraph' (`M-q') in Org Mode source blocks
@ 2022-01-09 17:03 Fabio Natali
From: Fabio Natali @ 2022-01-09 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

I'm having some issues with `M-q' (`org-fill-paragraph') within a Org
Mode source block.

Consider, for instance, a Org Mode file that contains the following
source block.

┌────
│ #+BEGIN_SRC elisp
│ ;; A comment
│ (+ 2 2)
│ #+END_SRC
└────

What happens: when calling `M-q' from within the block, the content is
handled like generic text and transformed as follows.

┌────
│ #+BEGIN_SRC elisp
│   ;; A comment (+ 2 2)
│ #+END_SRC
└────

What I'd be ideally expecting: the code to be potentially transformed
the same way it'd be in Emacs Lisp major mode.

What I'm actually expecting: the above might be too much of a high
expectation (i.e. for Org Mode to be aware of different `fill-paragraph'
mechanisms for different languages). As a second best, I'd be expecting
Org Mode to simply ignore my `M-q' command.

Here are some further considerations:

• Things work as expected when editing the block with the relevant major
  mode, e.g. Emacs Lisp; I know that this can be easily activated with
  `org-edit-special' (`C-c '').
• This can be replicated over different languages, i.e. it doesn't seem
  to be related to Emacs Lisp code in any way.
• I was able to reproduce this with a minimal `init.el' that only
  contains `(org-babel-do-load-languages 'org-babel-load-languages
  '((emacs-lisp . t)))'.
• I've been testing this with GNU Emacs 27.2 and Org Mode 9.5.1.

Also, I can see `M-q' is bound to `org-fill-paragraph'. The [source
code] for that function says:

      This function only applies to comment blocks, comments,
      example blocks and paragraphs.

This would seem to confirm my expectation, i.e. that the command
shouldn't be doing anything within a source block. Instead,
`org-fill-paragraph' seems to be calling `org-fill-element' and then
ultimately `fill-paragraph', [here].

This might be a relevant section:

┌────
│ (cl-case (org-element-type element)
│   ;; Use major mode filling function is source blocks.
│   (src-block (org-babel-do-in-edit-buffer
│ 	      (push-mark (point-min))
│ 	      (goto-char (point-max))
│ 	      (setq mark-active t)
│ 	      (funcall-interactively #'fill-paragraph justify 'region)))
└────

In order to honour its promise of only applying "to comment blocks,
comments, example blocks and paragraphs", shouldn't rather the function
do nothing in this case?

Is there anything obvious that you think I'm missing here? Is anyone
able to replicate the above behaviour and, if so, do you also find it
slightly problematic? Any thoughts and feedback on the above will be
greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks, best, F.

[source code]
<https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git/tree/lisp/org.el#n19850>

[here]
<https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git/tree/lisp/org.el#n19757>

* Re: `org-fill-paragraph' (`M-q') in Org Mode source blocks
@ 2022-01-10 19:50 ` Sébastien Miquel
From: Sébastien Miquel @ 2022-01-10 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fabio Natali, emacs-orgmode

Hi,

Fabio Natali writes:
> Is there anything obvious that you think I'm missing here? Is anyone
> able to replicate the above behaviour and, if so, do you also find it
> slightly problematic? Any thoughts and feedback on the above will be
> greatly appreciated.:)

It's not just you. I think org-fill-paragraph should try to act
natively if called from inside a src block.

As it happens, I've recently added the following advice to my init
file.

(defun my-org-fill-paragraph-natively-maybe ()
   (let* ((element (save-excursion (beginning-of-line)
(org-element-at-point-no-context)))
          (type (org-element-type element)))
     (if (and (eq type 'src-block)
              (> (line-beginning-position)
                 (org-element-property :post-affiliated element))
              (< (line-beginning-position)
                 (org-with-point-at (org-element-property :end element)
                   (skip-chars-backward " \t\n")
                   (line-beginning-position))))
         (progn
           (org-babel-do-in-edit-buffer (fill-paragraph))
           nil) t)))
(advice-add 'org-fill-paragraph :before-while
#'my-org-fill-paragraph-natively-maybe)

Regards,

--
Sébastien Miquel

* Re: `org-fill-paragraph' (`M-q') in Org Mode source blocks
@ 2022-01-11 13:30   ` Fabio Natali
From: Fabio Natali @ 2022-01-11 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sébastien Miquel, emacs-orgmode

On 2022-01-10 19:50:59 +0000, Sébastien Miquel
<sebastien.miquel@posteo.eu> wrote:
[...]
> It's not just you. I think org-fill-paragraph should try to act
> natively if called from inside a src block.

Hi Sébastien,

Thanks for getting back to me and thank you very much for the code
snippet, which I think I'm going to integrate in my configuration.

I'd be curious to hear from other fellow Org Moders. If this is a
relatively common problem and there's interest around it, maybe we could
think of a fix directly in the code base.

Thanks, best wishes, F.

* Re: `org-fill-paragraph' (`M-q') in Org Mode source blocks
@ 2022-01-11 19:32     ` Rudolf Adamkovič
From: Rudolf Adamkovič @ 2022-01-11 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fabio Natali, Sébastien Miquel, emacs-orgmode

Fabio Natali <me@fabionatali.com> writes:

> I'd be curious to hear from other fellow Org Moders.

Thank you!  I wanted to report this exact bug sometime soon.  What I
would like to do (every day):

1. select the entire buffer with "C-x h" and
2. fill all content with "C-q".

As of now, Org has issues with source blocks, plain lists, and more.  I
reported the bug with plain lists here:

https://list.orgmode.org/87ee5z6wa7.fsf@kyleam.com/

In practice, when I ask Org to fill a complicated buffer, it almost
always screws up its content, and often without the ability to undo, or
it freezes the entire Emacs in some infinite loop or something.

Rudy
--
"'Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, 'if it was so, it might be; and
if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'"

Rudolf Adamkovič <salutis@me.com> [he/him]
Studenohorská 25
84103 Bratislava
Slovakia

* Re: `org-fill-paragraph' (`M-q') in Org Mode source blocks
@ 2022-01-11 20:09     ` Sébastien Miquel
From: Sébastien Miquel @ 2022-01-11 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fabio Natali, emacs-orgmode

Fabio Natali writes:
> Thanks for getting back to me and thank you very much for the code
> snippet, which I think I'm going to integrate in my configuration.

Thank you for the report. With regard to the snippet, It seems the
advice function needs ~(&optional justify region)~ as arguments rather
than ().

> I'd be curious to hear from other fellow Org Moders. If this is a
> relatively common problem and there's interest around it, maybe we could
> think of a fix directly in the code base.
The best way to get it done is to post a patch to the list. If it
doesn't break a legitimate existing behaviour, It should get applied.
I'll probably do so eventually, or you could, if you feel so inclined.
Perhaps one difficulty is to deal with the case where the org-babel
call errors out, say if there's no mode to edit the src code in.

--
Sébastien Miquel