On Fri, Dec 24, 2021 at 04:21:58PM -0500, Robert Nikander wrote: > I started reading about “blocks" in the manual. I wanted a chunk of text that I could hide, so I tried this: > > * Test > Some text > #+BEGIN > Hide this > #+END > > Hitting TAB on the BEGIN line does nothing. But if I add a blank line before it, then hitting TAB hides and shows the block. Is that a bug? Or am I doing it wrong? Seems like it should work without the blank line. > > * Test > Some text > > #+BEGIN > Hide this > #+END > > M-x org-version => 9.5.1. Ah. You have to decide on a concrete /kind/ of block. So try: #+begin_example This is a small example with two lines #+end_example (BTW. I seem to remember that Org prefers to spell those things in lower case these days, as in my example). There are some block kinds which Org "knows about" and treats specially, like _example, _quote, _center, _src and so on. Cheers -- t