From: Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support>
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: contact management in emacs
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2021 01:57:43 +0300	[thread overview]

* Russell Adams <RLAdams@AdamsInfoServ.Com> [2021-02-28 12:07]:
> The only reason I don't use BBDB is I want to use Org to allow me to
> maintain notes about contacts (ie: CRM). Yes, I get that I could have
> a CRM file and link in BBDB contacts, but that feels like adding
> layers.

I have replaced using Org file as the central system with the `people`
database as the central system. This may sound confusing. Instead of
using exclusively Org file, I am using the database and addint notes
to people in the database. A note can have any major or minor mode,
thus it could be text or Org file or markdown file, enriched mode or
restructured text, asciidoc, or similar.

My workflow is to find the person first, then press N to see notes, or
M-n to create a new note. Concepts I am explaining may serve some
people to create their own workflows.

Using database for that allows easily collaboration in real time with
other team members and inclusion or insertion of new contacts during
marketing activities without interruption. Org files are not suitable
for such collaborative updates.

> The stumbling point for me has been exporting to my mobile phone. I'm
> fine with a one way sync from my BBDB/Org solution to the phone, but
> I feel like I never found a good option.

bbdb-vcard package is here:
https://melpa.org/packages/bbdb-vcard-20201016.1902.tar

Jean