On Sat, Jan 14, 2023 at 02:38:05PM +0000, Ihor Radchenko wrote: [...] > > Or to put it in another way - currently, it is well understood where org > > timestamps fall down. However, once you add TZ and provide the > > expectation TZ data will be respected correctly, all bets are off. > > I think I need to clarify. > Emacs currently relies on glibc time zone support on Linux. > I am not sure if glibc is 100% accurate, but it should be good enough. > At least, there is no way we can do better ourselves. TBH, this is the only way which makes sense. The OS keeps the Olson database up to date and all applications rely on that. Anything else would be madness. Now there's still enough work for the applications to do: presentation, parsing, disambiguation, if necessary asking the user for help. Someone mentioned PostgreSQL -- this is a nice example of what can be done beyond the (comparatively!) boring details of time zone management :-) Cheers -- t