On Fri, Nov 04, 2022 at 07:39:04AM +0100, Marcin Borkowski wrote: > > On 2022-11-04, at 06:45, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote: [...] > > Ah. Javadoc and their descendants. I tend to call that "illiterate > > programming"... > > I spat my tea. :-) Thanks, that's a nice one! Sorry to hear that ;-P > Though this _may_ work in some cases. For example, imagine you divide > your package into two files – one with user-facing commands and another > one with internal functions. If you order the former one carefully, the > "extract docstrings" might actually work as a documentation. Yes, of course it's just a tool; but that kind of tool all too often seduces people to switch to auto-pilot. How many Doxygen docs have I had which tell me that function so-and- so takes an int as third argument? I can see that by inspecting the source! As a bonus, I don't get that much optical fluff and don't have to go to the browser to look at it. > Still, a "normal" documentation seems a better (even if more > time-consuming) options. Yes, it takes work. > Also, such docstring-based documentation is still better than none. That depends on how much work goes into the docstring. This: /* add 2 to x */ x += 2; is the typical quality you get when you're writing the docs while waist-deep in the code. If you want good docs, you have to take a step back and try to put yourself into the mind of someone else (i.e. "forget" for a moment all the implicit knowledge you have about that code you've been intimate with for weeks, perhaps for years). That's not easy :) Cheers -- t