From: Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support>
To: pietru@caramail.com
Cc: Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com>, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Org Capture Menu cannot be fully viewed
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2020 12:44:32 +0300	[thread overview]

* pietru@caramail.com <pietru@caramail.com> [2020-12-13 05:09]:
> Here is one version of a template
>
> (setq capture-template-investigation-type '(
>
>  ("a" "Historic Background Research Site Evaluation/Testing" entry
>   (file "~/histr/archaeol.org")
>   "* Site_Type: %?\n %T\n")
>
>  ("b" "Systematic Survey Data Recovery/Excavation" entry
>   (file "~/histr/archaeol.org")
>   "* Site_Type: %?\n %T\n")

Your example is good real world practical example.

The capture menu was designed in the same degraded way as Org agenda
menu. Difference is that Capture menu is customizable and not meant
for users like you who need more than few categories. It is not
expandable.

Would the menu be made as read only Org displayed in a buffer then:

- Emacs interface, such as using other windows during capture process,
  would not be blocked during Capture selection

- User could at least scroll or enlarge the buffer what currently does
  not work

Comparing it to my Hyperscope system if I wish to file or capture
anything I may choose any set where to file it by using completion
function which dwelles below in `hyperscope-select-set'. I am using
semantic or meaning related search.

(defun hyperscope-add-note-to-set ()
  (interactive)
  (let ((parent (hyperscope-select-set)))
    (hlink-add-generic name nil 9 parent nil note)))

When key press is invoked I am capturing a note or some other type of
a node into a set. Could be anything, it could be URL, Action similar
to TODO, note, file, picture, voice note, just anything:

- press key

- type what you think where it should be filed, press ENTER on selection

- edit the note

Description of `org-capture'

org-capture is an autoloaded interactive compiled Lisp function in
‘org-capture.el’.

It is bound to C-c c.

(org-capture &optional GOTO KEYS)

Capture something.

This will let you select a template from ‘org-capture-templates’, and
then file the newly captured information.  The text is immediately
inserted at the target location, and an indirect buffer is shown where
you can edit it.  Pressing ‘C-c C-c’ brings you back to the previous
state of Emacs, so that you can continue your work.

-----------

In your case "This will NOT let you select a template from
org-capture-template". Function org-capture is written more in
structured way of programming than functional way. It wants to do
everything for user at once.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Structured_programming
versus
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Functional_programming

What is here missing is `org-capture-by-completing-read' so that
user may select among many various capture templates.

Compensating for initial bad design is expensive effort.

Jean