From: David Masterson <dsmasterson92630@outlook.com>
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Getting Org-Crypt to work (doc bug?)
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2020 17:02:04 -0700	[thread overview]

> Hello,
>
> David Masterson <dsmasterson92630@outlook.com> writes:
>
>> I'm trying to get org-crypt to work, but I'm missing something.
>> Following the Org-Crypt Info page, I've set it up for symmetric
>> encryption and added a :crypt: tag to a header.  When I try to save the
>> file, it reports that no key was specified, so it will do symmetric
>> encryption.  And then it freezes.  C-g will unfreeze, but the buffer is
>> slightly messed up like it started working on something, but waited for
>> an external command? GPG is installed.  What am I missing?
>
> Could you explain more precisely what you did? For example, I encounter
> no problem crypting the following file:
>
> * Test                                                                     :crypt:
>
> This is crypted.
>
> # Local Variables:
> # org-crypt-key: nil
> # End:
>
> Upon saving the file, I type the key twice, and the entry is encrypted.
>
> Note that I evaluated (org-crypt-use-before-save-magic) once beforehand.

I'm setting up Org this way:

(use-package org
  :init (setq
  	 org-tags-exclude-from-inheritance '("crypt")
	 org-crypt-key nil
  	 )
  :config (progn
	    (require 'org-crypt)
	    (org-crypt-use-before-save-magic)
	   )
  )

I did essentially what you did (added :crypt: to a header in one of my
files) and tried to save the file.

Found it!  I started Emacs on Linux via 'xterm -e emacs &' because
something else had done this to me (forget what).  The thing is that GPG
is asking for the passphrase on the xterm window and not in the Emacs.
I didn't notice this because Emacs covered it. Someone else mentioned
the gpg-agent(?) to prevent this (is there another way?).  Both things
should be mentioned in the Org-Mode Info pages for org-crypt.

--
David Masterson