Ihor Radchenko writes: > David Masterson writes: >> To assist project planning, TODO items can be labeled with a date >> -and/or a time. The specially formatted string carrying the date and >> +and/or a time for purposes like a timestamp on an event, a deadline >> +for a task, or clocking time on a task as described in later sections >> +of this chapter. The specially formatted string carrying the date and >> time information is called a /timestamp/ in Org mode. > > IMHO, this is just creating confusion. > Remember that this manual/guide is going to be read by people who are > not yet familiar with Org mode terminology. What is "timestamp on an > event"? What if you put a timestamp on a non-event? What is "clocking > time"? Ok. I did use "like". ;-) I don't want to get too in the weeds (because I don't know it all), so how about: ... purposes like when an event happens, a deadline for a task, or tracking time spent on a task ... >> A simple timestamp just assigns a date/time to an item. This is >> just like writing down an appointment or event in a paper agenda. >> + There can be multiple timestamps in an event. > > Why event? What about tasks? Can just use more general "heading" or "entry". Good point. The paragraph already used 'item' -- would that be better? New patch file attached: Change log: ================ Doc change to explain timestamps better doc/org-guide.org (Dates and Times): purpose of timestamp + examples doc/org-manual.org (Dates and Times): purpose of timestamp + examples ================