* Export Org mode files to (gag, barf) MS Office?
@ 2021-06-26 14:44 Brandon Taylor
                   ` (5 more replies)
From: Brandon Taylor @ 2021-06-26 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

I know we’re not supposed to really even TALK about proprietary software in FOSS communities like this one, but I can’t help but wonder if someone might consider making (an) Emacs plugin(s) that allow(s) a user to export Org mode files to Microsoft Office file formats such as .docx, .xlsx and the like? Or is/are there already (a) plugin(s) in the MELPA that can do this?

Brandon Taylor

* Re: Export Org mode files to (gag, barf) MS Office?
@ 2021-06-26 14:54 ` Bruce D'Arcus
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Bruce D'Arcus @ 2021-06-26 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brandon Taylor; +Cc: org-mode-email

MS Office supports OpenDocument, so that might be better path for org to
support.

I've wondered myself why it doesn't already support it.

@ 2021-06-26 14:56   ` Bruce D'Arcus
From: Bruce D'Arcus @ 2021-06-26 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brandon Taylor; +Cc: org-mode-email

Oops; it does.

https://orgmode.org/manual/OpenDocument-Text-Export.html

@ 2021-06-26 14:57   ` Brandon Taylor
From: Brandon Taylor @ 2021-06-26 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce D'Arcus; +Cc: org-mode-email

Okay. Well, I’m running Emacs on (boo, hiss) Windows, but I can’t seem to get my Org mode file to export to ODT. Emacs is complaining about a missing “zip” executable. How would I go about working around that little issue on a Windows system?

@ 2021-06-26 15:00     ` Bruce D'Arcus
From: Bruce D'Arcus @ 2021-06-26 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brandon Taylor; +Cc: org-mode-email

IDK myself, as I don't use Windows. But this looks helpful?

https://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/53957/how-to-fix-the-error-executable-zip-needed-for-creating-opendocument-files-w

On Sat, Jun 26, 2021 at 10:57 AM Brandon Taylor
<donnie126_2002@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Okay. Well, I’m running Emacs on (boo, hiss) Windows, but I can’t seem to get my Org mode file to export to ODT. Emacs is complaining about a missing “zip” executable. How would I go about working around that little issue on a Windows system?

* Re: Export Org mode files to (gag, barf) MS Office?
@ 2021-06-26 15:04 ` John Kitchin
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: John Kitchin @ 2021-06-26 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brandon Taylor; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

there is some code at
https://github.com/jkitchin/scimax/blob/master/ox-word.el that does an ok
job with pandoc. It isn't perfect though, and I don't think it ever will
be.

John

-----------------------------------
Professor John Kitchin (he/him/his)
Doherty Hall A207F
Department of Chemical Engineering
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
412-268-7803
@johnkitchin
http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu

On Sat, Jun 26, 2021 at 10:48 AM Brandon Taylor <donnie126_2002@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> I know we’re not supposed to really even TALK about proprietary software
> in FOSS communities like this one, but I can’t help but wonder if someone
> might consider making (an) Emacs plugin(s) that allow(s) a user to export
> Org mode files to Microsoft Office file formats such as .docx, .xlsx and
> the like? Or is/are there already (a) plugin(s) in the MELPA that can do
> this?
>

> Brandon Taylor

> Windows 10

* Re: Export Org mode files to (gag, barf) MS Office?
@ 2021-06-26 15:15 ` Juan Manuel Macías
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Juan Manuel Macías @ 2021-06-26 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brandon Taylor; +Cc: orgmode

Hello,

Brandon Taylor writes:

> I know we’re not supposed to really even TALK about proprietary
> software in FOSS communities like this one, but I can’t help but
> wonder if someone might consider making (an) Emacs plugin(s) that
> allow(s) a user to export Org mode files to Microsoft Office file
> formats such as .docx, .xlsx and the like? Or is/are there already (a)
> plugin(s) in the MELPA that can do this?

You may be interested in the variable `org-odt-preferred-output-format'.
According to the docstring:

"[...] Automatically post-process to this format after exporting to
"odt". Command ‘org-odt-export-to-odt’ exports first to "odt" format and
then uses ‘org-odt-convert-process’ to convert the resulting document to
this format. During customization of this variable, the list of valid
values are populated based on ‘org-odt-convert-capabilities’.[...]"

Best regards,

Juan Manuel

* Re: Export Org mode files to (gag, barf) MS Office?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2021-06-26 15:18 ` glyn
From: glyn @ 2021-06-26 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brandon Taylor; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Brandon Taylor <donnie126_2002@hotmail.com> writes:

> I know we’re not supposed to really even TALK about proprietary
> software in FOSS communities like this one, but I can’t help but
> wonder if someone might consider making (an) Emacs plugin(s)
> that
> allow(s) a user to export Org mode files to Microsoft Office
> file
> formats such as .docx, .xlsx and the like? Or is/are there
> already (a)
> plugin(s) in the MELPA that can do this?
>

> Brandon Taylor
>

> Sent from Mail for Windows 10

The ox-pandoc package works here for .docx, running on Linux -
here are the settings I use, but you may have to experiment

(use-package ox-pandoc
  :defer 7
  :config
  (setq org-pandoc-options '((standalone . t))
;; cancel above settings only for 'docx' format
   org-pandoc-options-for-docx '((standalone . nil))
;; special settings for beamer-pdf and latex-pdf exporters
   org-pandoc-options-for-beamer-pdf '((pdf-engine . "xelatex"))
  org-pandoc-options-for-latex-pdf '((pdf-engine . "xelatex"))))

atb

Glyn

* RE: Export Org mode files to (gag, barf) MS Office?
@ 2021-06-26 15:29       ` Brandon Taylor
From: Brandon Taylor @ 2021-06-26 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce D'Arcus; +Cc: org-mode-email

Okay, I got that working, but now I’ve run into another error complaining about a missing “soffice.” So that means I need to install either Apache OpenOffice or LibreOffice, correct?

@ 2021-06-26 15:49         ` Rob Sargent
From: Rob Sargent @ 2021-06-26 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brandon Taylor; +Cc: org-mode-email, Bruce D'Arcus

Yes, that’s the place to start (and finish in a FOSSy way)

@ 2021-06-26 16:27           ` Brandon Taylor
From: Brandon Taylor @ 2021-06-26 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rob Sargent; +Cc: org-mode-email, Bruce D'Arcus

I’ve seen that LibreOffice can read and write to those formats, whereas OpenOffice can only read them. Or has OpenOffice overcome that particular barrier?

On Jun 26, 2021, at 9:29 AM, Brandon Taylor <donnie126_2002@hotmail.com<mailto:donnie126_2002@hotmail.com>> wrote:

Okay, I got that working, but now I’ve run into another error complaining about a missing “soffice.” So that means I need to install either Apache OpenOffice or LibreOffice, correct?

* Boo Hiss ;-) [was: Export Org mode files to (gag, barf) MS Office?]
@ 2021-06-26 19:07     ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2021-06-26 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Sat, Jun 26, 2021 at 02:57:17PM +0000, Brandon Taylor wrote:
> Okay. Well, I’m running Emacs on (boo, hiss) [...]

Now we would boo and hiss much less if you could teach your
software to not make such a blatant propaganda of itself:

;-P

Just sayin' and somewhat tongue-in-cheek

Cheers
 - t

* Re: Export Org mode files to (gag, barf) MS Office?
@ 2021-06-26 19:18             ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2021-06-26 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Sat, Jun 26, 2021 at 04:27:19PM +0000, Brandon Taylor wrote:
> I’ve seen that LibreOffice can read and write to those formats, whereas OpenOffice can only read them. Or has OpenOffice overcome that particular barrier?

I think OpenOffice is practically dead. All interesting development
happens in LibreOffice, at least for the last ten years. Heck, it
was practically dead 2015.

It is a long, sad story. Currently I wouldn't even bet on OpenOffice
not having unpatched critical security bugs.

Cheers
-- t

* Re: Export Org mode files to (gag, barf) MS Office?
@ 2021-06-26 19:49               ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2021-06-26 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tomas; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 2021-06-26, at 21:18, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 26, 2021 at 04:27:19PM +0000, Brandon Taylor wrote:
>> I’ve seen that LibreOffice can read and write to those formats, whereas OpenOffice can only read them. Or has OpenOffice overcome that particular barrier?
>
> I think OpenOffice is practically dead. All interesting development
> happens in LibreOffice, at least for the last ten years. Heck, it
> was practically dead 2015.
>
> It is a long, sad story. Currently I wouldn't even bet on OpenOffice
> not having unpatched critical security bugs.

Out of curiosity: why sad? I've been using OpenOffice many years ago
(StarOffice earlier), now I'm using LibreOffice.  Wasn't that basically
a rename?

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski
http://mbork.pl

* Libre vs Open Office [was: Export Org mode files to (gag, barf) MS Office?]
@ 2021-06-26 20:12                 ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2021-06-26 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcin Borkowski; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sat, Jun 26, 2021 at 09:49:02PM +0200, Marcin Borkowski wrote:

> On 2021-06-26, at 21:18, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Jun 26, 2021 at 04:27:19PM +0000, Brandon Taylor wrote:
> >> I’ve seen that LibreOffice can read and write to those formats, whereas OpenOffice can only read them. Or has OpenOffice overcome that particular barrier?
> >
> > I think OpenOffice is practically dead. All interesting development
> > happens in LibreOffice, at least for the last ten years. Heck, it
> > was practically dead 2015.
> >
> > It is a long, sad story. Currently I wouldn't even bet on OpenOffice
> > not having unpatched critical security bugs.
>
> Out of curiosity: why sad? I've been using OpenOffice many years ago
> (StarOffice earlier), now I'm using LibreOffice.  Wasn't that basically
> a rename?

The sad part, in a few words, is that OpenOffice still kept the "brand
recognition", but is basically unmaintained at this point.

Many users (especially in Windows land, the Linus ones seem to know) are
still lured by the brand to download and use unmaintained software.

It is as if Oracle, by donating OpenOffice to the Apache Software Foundation,
wanted to sabotage free office software. But why?

Cheers

[1] https://pctechmag.com/2011/06/oracle-and-openoffice-the-final-insult/

 - t

* Re: Export Org mode files to (gag, barf) MS Office?
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2021-06-26 21:46 ` Tim Cross
From: Tim Cross @ 2021-06-26 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Brandon Taylor <donnie126_2002@hotmail.com> writes:

> I know we’re not supposed to really even TALK about proprietary software in FOSS communities like this one, but I can’t help but wonder if someone
> might consider making (an) Emacs plugin(s) that allow(s) a user to export Org mode files to Microsoft Office file formats such as .docx, .xlsx and the
> like? Or is/are there already (a) plugin(s) in the MELPA that can do this?

I don't think you will ever see full proprietary support for MS Office
file formats. In addition to the philosophical issues, there are also
practical constraints. As these formats are closed proprietary formats
owned by MS, they can be changed at will and without notice by MS, which
creeates maintenance problems, plus there is the risk you may run foul
of MS copyright or patent restrictions and you have the added overhead
of having to work with a format which is not openly documented.

Probably the best you can hope for is support for open standards which
are also supported by MS Office. For example, ODT, CSV and maybe XML.
Unlike native MS formats, such open formats are likely to be even more
accessible (such as by other office like products) and last longer
because they are not based on some version of a proprietary format which
may arbitrarily change in the future.

--
Tim Cross

* Re: Export Org mode files to (gag, barf) MS Office?
@ 2021-06-26 22:30   ` George Mauer
From: George Mauer @ 2021-06-26 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

For anyone who has never tried it, I'll add that the open office formats
are an absolute beast to export to. I can't say for sure about docx but
I've done my time building a PowerPoint exporter (on top of Microsoft
provided ooxml libraries even). It is complex enough that I'm not even sure
such an exporter's maintenance is possible without a full time dedicated
team

@ 2021-06-27  0:25     ` Brandon Taylor
From: Brandon Taylor @ 2021-06-27  0:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gmauer@gmail.com; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Okay. Well, I've gone ahead and installed LibreOffice, which took care of the "missing 'soffice'" problem, but like a frustrating game of Whac-A-Mole, another problem popped up. Now I'm left high and dry as to what might have happened, because after adding the location of soffice.exe in my Windows PATH environment variable, I get the following output:

Executing soffice --headless --convert-to odt --outdir "c:/Users/donni/OneDrive/Documents/" "c:/Users/donni/OneDrive/Documents/belvoire.odt"

Export to c:/Users/donni/OneDrive/Documents/belvoire.odt failed

with absolutely no rhyme or reason as to what went wrong.
Sent from Mailspring (https://link.getmailspring.com/link/181A65C3-41D8-44CA-A7A3-964E5FF6133F@getmailspring.com/0?redirect=https%3A%2F%2Fgetmailspring.com%2F&recipient=ZW1hY3Mtb3JnbW9kZUBnbnUub3Jn), the best free email app for work

@ 2021-06-27  4:05       ` Tim Cross
From: Tim Cross @ 2021-06-27  4:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Brandon Taylor <donnie126_2002@hotmail.com> writes:

> Okay. Well, I've gone ahead and installed LibreOffice, which took care of the "missing 'soffice'" problem, but like a frustrating game of Whac-A-Mole,
> another problem popped up. Now I'm left high and dry as to what might have happened, because after adding the location of soffice.exe in my
> Windows PATH environment variable, I get the following output:
>
> Executing soffice --headless --convert-to odt --outdir "c:/Users/donni/OneDrive/Documents/" "c:/Users/donni/OneDrive/Documents/belvoire.odt"
>
> Export to c:/Users/donni/OneDrive/Documents/belvoire.odt failed
>
> with absolutely no rhyme or reason as to what went wrong.

You can try turning on debug on error with

M-x toggle-debug-on-error

which might give you a backtrace that will provide more details.

I would also try executing the command

soffice --headless --convert-to odt --outdir "c:/Users/donni/OneDrive/Documents/" "c:/Users/donni/OneDrive/Documents/belvoire.odt"

at a command prompt and see if you get any additonal information. I've
not done odt exports of org files, but that command line looks odd to me
- it looks like it is trying to convert an odt file to odt?

I suspect you will have a hard time getting all this to work on Windows.
It is possible, but as Windows is not a 'preferred' platform, you have a
significant amount of configuration/customisation to do to get it
working.

I never use Windows, so cannot provide much help of any real substance.
I do wonder if it might be easier if you use WSL?

--
Tim Cross

* Export Org mode files to (gag, barf) MS Office?
@ 2021-06-27 16:13 emanuel.charpentier
From: emanuel.charpentier @ 2021-06-27 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: donnie126_2002; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I know we’re not supposed to really even TALK about proprietary
software in FOSS communities like this one, but I can’t help but wonder
if someone might consider making (an) Emacs plugin(s) that allow(s) a
user to export Org mode files to Microsoft Office file formats such as
.docx, .xlsx and the like? Or is/are there already (a) plugin(s) in the
MELPA that can do this?

FWIW, someone calling himself "kawabata" on github has written this
pandoc-based exporter, which does an okay job for some documents.

The fly in the ointment is that this person seems to have dropped off
the 'Net : his code hasn't been maintained for three years and 35
issues are currently open. Maintaining it might be an "interesting"
project...

Getting "good" results in ODT seems easier. You have to pay attention
to some details (e. g. the "right" value to set the symbol used to
export code fragments, etc...), but at least, LibreOffice supports
vector graphics... The most important point may be to create a "good"
template document for your needs.

I have been able to create documents exporting citations, Sagemath-
generated LaTeX  math, figures, tables, listings and cross-references
to these elements to ODT, LaTeX/PDF and HTML with not much hassle
(though the ability to create a list of figures is sorely lacking...)
using the built-in ODT exporter and org-ref or citeproc-org. As already
mentioned, LibreOffice can easily convert from ODT to DOCX (with often
results superior to Word's interpretation of ODT...).

I have great expectations on the upcoming citation/bibliography system
discussed here a short while ago.

HTH,

--
Emmanuel Charpentier

* Re: Export Org mode files to (gag, barf) MS Office?
@ 2021-06-27 16:17 ` Samuel Banya
From: Samuel Banya @ 2021-06-27 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Berry

The reason why someone would want to do this is that most corporate environments literally force you to use products like the MS Office Suite.

I can only see that as a benefit to be able to export to whatever you want.

is it perfect?

Probably not, but at least the option exists.

I feel that the people who like to gravitate towards the FOSS side of things though should probably move their careers to only being able to utilize FOSS type stuff anyway.

Ex: Use Pandoc as a crutch for now, and slowly move towards jobs where you no longer need MS Office Suite, etc.

On Sun, Jun 27, 2021, at 4:13 PM, emanuel.charpentier@gmail.com wrote:
> I know we’re not supposed to really even TALK about proprietary software in FOSS communities like this one, but I can’t help but wonder if someone might consider making (an) Emacs plugin(s) that allow(s) a user to export Org mode files to Microsoft Office file formats such as .docx, .xlsx and the like? Or is/are there already (a) plugin(s) in the MELPA that can do this?
>
> FWIW, someone calling himself "kawabata" on github has written this pandoc-based exporter, <https://github.com/kawabata/ox-pandoc> which does an okay job for some documents.
>
> The fly in the ointment is that this person seems to have dropped off the 'Net : his code hasn't been maintained for three years and 35 issues are currently open. Maintaining it might be an "interesting" project...
>
> Getting "good" results in ODT seems easier. You have to pay attention to some details (e. g. the "right" value to set the symbol used to export code fragments, etc...), but at least, LibreOffice supports vector graphics... The most important point may be to create a "good" template document for your needs.
>
> I have been able to create documents exporting citations, Sagemath-generated LaTeX  math, figures, tables, listings and cross-references to these elements to ODT, LaTeX/PDF and HTML with not much hassle (though the ability to create a list of figures is sorely lacking...) using the built-in ODT exporter and org-ref <https://github.com/jkitchin/org-ref/blob/master/org-ref.org> or citeproc-org. <https://github.com/andras-simonyi/citeproc-org> As already mentioned, LibreOffice can easily convert from ODT to DOCX (with often results superior to Word's interpretation of ODT...).
>
> I have great expectations on the upcoming citation/bibliography system discussed here a short while ago.
>
> HTH,
>
> --
> Emmanuel Charpentier

* Re: Libre vs Open Office [was: Export Org mode files to (gag, barf) MS Office?]
@ 2021-06-27 19:38                   ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2021-06-27 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tomas; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 2021-06-26, at 22:12, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 26, 2021 at 09:49:02PM +0200, Marcin Borkowski wrote:

>> > I think OpenOffice is practically dead. All interesting development
>> > happens in LibreOffice, at least for the last ten years. Heck, it
>> > was practically dead 2015.
>> >
>> > It is a long, sad story. Currently I wouldn't even bet on OpenOffice
>> > not having unpatched critical security bugs.
>>
>> Out of curiosity: why sad? I've been using OpenOffice many years ago
>> (StarOffice earlier), now I'm using LibreOffice.  Wasn't that basically
>> a rename?
>
> The sad part, in a few words, is that OpenOffice still kept the "brand
> recognition", but is basically unmaintained at this point.
>
> Many users (especially in Windows land, the Linus ones seem to know) are
> still lured by the brand to download and use unmaintained software.
>
> It is as if Oracle, by donating OpenOffice to the Apache Software Foundation,
> wanted to sabotage free office software. But why?

Sad indeed.  Didn't know that.  I just noticed at some point that LO was
what I should use from now on to deal with those pesky (doc|xls)x? files
and that was it.  I also installed it on my daughter's Windoze laptop
etc.  I just thought there is no more OO...

Thanks,
mbork

--
Marcin Borkowski
http://mbork.pl

* Re: Export Org mode files to (gag, barf) MS Office?
@ 2021-06-27 21:08         ` Brandon Taylor
From: Brandon Taylor @ 2021-06-27 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Cross; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Here's the generated backtrace after doing M-x toggle-debug-on-error and then trying to do export on Windows.

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (rng-uri-error "Bad escapes in URI ‘file:///c:/Program%20Files/Ema...")
signal(rng-uri-error ("Bad escapes in URI ‘file:///c:/Program%20Files/Ema..."))
rng-uri-error("Bad escapes in URI `%s'" "file:///c:/Program%20Files/Emacs/x86_64/share/emac...")
rng-uri-file-name-1("file:///c:/Program%20Files/Emacs/x86_64/share/emac..." nil)
rng-uri-file-name("file:///c:/Program%20Files/Emacs/x86_64/share/emac...")
rng-locate-schema-file()
rng-auto-set-schema(t)
rng-validate-mode(1)
rng-nxml-mode-init()
xml-mode()
set-auto-mode-0(xml-mode nil)
set-auto-mode()
normal-mode(t)
after-find-file(nil nil)
find-file-noselect-1(#<buffer styles.xml> "c:/Users/donni/AppData/Local/Temp/odt-s6F4yN/style..." t nil "c:/Users/donni/AppData/Local/Temp/odt-s6F4yN/style..." (6755399441121385 3391104951))
find-file-noselect("c:/Users/donni/AppData/Local/Temp/odt-s6F4yN/style..." t)
org-odt-template(#("\n\n<text:h text:style-name=..." 186 203 (:parent (headline ... ...)) 304 509 (:parent (paragraph ... ...)) 704 714 (:parent (headline ... ...)) 815 987 (:parent (paragraph ... ...)) 995 1044 (:parent (paragraph ... ...)) 1052 1083 (:parent (paragraph ... ...)) 1278 1289 (:parent (headline ... ...)) 1390 1489 (:parent (paragraph ... ...)) ...) (:export-options nil :back-end #s(org-export-backend :name odt :parent nil :transcoders (... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...) :options (... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...) :filters (...) :blocks nil :menu (111 "Export to ODT" ...)) :translate-alist ((bold . org-odt-bold) (center-block . org-odt-center-block) (clock . org-odt-clock) (code . org-odt-code) (drawer . org-odt-drawer) (dynamic-block . org-odt-dynamic-block) (entity . org-odt-entity) (example-block . org-odt-example-block) (export-block . org-odt-export-block) (export-snippet . org-odt-export-snippet) (fixed-width . org-odt-fixed-width) (footnote-definition . org-odt-footnote-definition) (footnote-reference . org-odt-footnote-reference) (headline . org-odt-headline) (horizontal-rule . org-odt-horizontal-rule) (inline-src-block . org-odt-inline-src-block) (inlinetask . org-odt-inlinetask) (italic . org-odt-italic) (item . org-odt-item) (keyword . org-odt-keyword) (latex-environment . org-odt-latex-environment) (latex-fragment . org-odt-latex-fragment) (line-break . org-odt-line-break) (link . org-odt-link) (node-property . org-odt-node-property) (paragraph . org-odt-paragraph) ...) :exported-data #<hash-table eq 34/4001 0x26f5845> :input-buffer "belvoire.org" :input-file "c:/Users/donni/OneDrive/Do..." :odt-styles-file nil :description nil :keywords nil :subtitle nil :odt-content-template-file nil :odt-display-outline-level 2 :odt-fontify-srcblocks t ...))
org-export-as(odt nil nil nil nil)
org-odt-export-to-odt(nil nil nil nil)
org-export-dispatch(nil)
funcall-interactively(org-export-dispatch nil)
call-interactively(org-export-dispatch nil nil)
command-execute(org-export-dispatch)

Sent from Mailspring (https://link.getmailspring.com/link/2D4DFACA-A01A-4F4C-9162-46E73035B8BA@getmailspring.com/0?redirect=https%3A%2F%2Fgetmailspring.com%2F&recipient=ZW1hY3Mtb3JnbW9kZUBnbnUub3Jn), the best free email app for work

@ 2021-06-27 22:38           ` Tim Cross
From: Tim Cross @ 2021-06-27 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

That error would tend to indicate there is a problem with the way the
file uri is being encoded. This could either be a bug or it could be due
to an error in your configuration or possibly the original org file your
trying to encode. Unfortunately, in that backtrace output, I cannot see
the full uri. I would start by looking at the full uri and seeing if you
can spot what is wrong with the encoding and identify where that uri is
coming from (i.e. your config, a link in the org file your trying to
export etc).

Here is what I would do -

- Create a minimal basic org file which generates the error when you try
to export to odt

- Post that minimal org file, together with details on your Emacs
version, org-mode version to the list. You might be lucky and someone
else on Windows will be able to use your test org file to see if they
get the same error when exporting to odt. Maybe someone not on windows
can also try exporting it to verify it is not a platform independent
bug. See M-x org-submit-bug-report for a straight-forward way to
generate the email.

- Try running emacs -Q and then adding a minimal config to get org odt
export to work and verify you still get the error. This may help
identify bad local config, bad org installation/update or issue with org
version you have.

The objective here is to provide all the information necessary for
someone else to try and reproduce your issue. This will help in
determining whether you have a real org or emacs bug, a local
setup/config error or a problem in your org file.

BTW it probably would be worth running org-lint on the org file your
trying to export, just to verify it has good org syntax etc.

--
Tim Cross

* Re: Export Org mode files to (gag, barf) MS Office?
@ 2021-06-28  1:48             ` Brandon Taylor
From: Brandon Taylor @ 2021-06-28  1:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Cross; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Actually, I've decided to go with your earlier recommendation of using WSL now that it supports GUI apps like Emacs. Doing the export act gives me a very elegant (albeit somewhat crowded) ODT file, like this -- https://www.dropbox.com/s/16dhity67rtdwyp/belvoire.odt?dl=0 (https://link.getmailspring.com/link/FD55DA87-8B2D-4D8A-A92F-FA98BAFDB18B@getmailspring.com/0?redirect=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.dropbox.com%2Fs%2F16dhity67rtdwyp%2Fbelvoire.odt%3Fdl%3D0&recipient=ZW1hY3Mtb3JnbW9kZUBnbnUub3Jn)

Sent from Mailspring (https://link.getmailspring.com/link/FD55DA87-8B2D-4D8A-A92F-FA98BAFDB18B@getmailspring.com/1?redirect=https%3A%2F%2Fgetmailspring.com%2F&recipient=ZW1hY3Mtb3JnbW9kZUBnbnUub3Jn), the best free email app for work
On Jun 27 2021, at 5:38 pm, Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > at a command prompt and see if you get any additonal information. I've
> > not done odt exports of org files, but that command line looks odd to me
> > - it looks like it is trying to convert an odt file to odt?
> >
> > I suspect you will have a hard time getting all this to work on Windows.
> > It is possible, but as Windows is not a 'preferred' platform, you have a
> > significant amount of configuration/customisation to do to get it
> > working.
> >
> > I never use Windows, so cannot provide much help of any real substance.
> > I do wonder if it might be easier if you use WSL?
> >
> > --
> > Tim Cross
>

> --
> Tim Cross

* Re: Export Org mode files to (gag, barf) MS Office?
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2021-07-01  8:28 ` Karl Voit
From: Karl Voit @ 2021-07-01  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Brandon,

* Brandon Taylor <donnie126_2002@hotmail.com> wrote:
> --_000_SA1PR13MB4799DBE017BDC4DA869BA10BA2059SA1PR13MB4799namp_
>
> I know we=92re not supposed to really even TALK about proprietary software =
> in FOSS communities like this one, but I can=92t help but wonder if someone=
>  might consider making (an) Emacs plugin(s) that allow(s) a user to export =
> Org mode files to Microsoft Office file formats such as .docx, .xlsx and th=
> e like? Or is/are there already (a) plugin(s) in the MELPA that can do this=
> ?

If you go down the pandoc path and you need to comply with company
templates and such, you might want to read
https://karl-voit.at/2017/12/17/pandoc-docx-reference/ where you can
place a docx file at a specific path and you end up with nice end
results.

--
get mail|git|SVN|photos|postings|SMS|phonecalls|RSS|CSV|XML into Org-mode:
Personal Information Management > http://Karl-Voit.at/tags/pim/
Emacs-related > http://Karl-Voit.at/tags/emacs/