* [babel] Writing R-packages the org way?
@ 2010-10-07 14:02 Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2010-10-07 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi

I am about to write an R package, and as I am an org-mode and org-babel
user, I would (obviously) like to use org-mode for that.

Is there a recommended way of writing an R package in org-babel, or do I
have effectively wrap the R code for the documentation etc. into source
blocks in babel?

Any suggestions how to best proceed?

Dream: I would like to have one org file which contains everything
(documentation, code, other relevant files) and if I export or tangle the
file, I have the package ready.

Is there anything like that?

Rainer

--
NEW GERMAN FAX NUMBER!!!

UCT), Dipl. Phys. (Germany)

Natural Sciences Building
Office Suite 2039
Stellenbosch University
Main Campus, Merriman Avenue
Stellenbosch
South Africa

Cell:           +27 - (0)83 9479 042
Fax:            +27 - (0)86 516 2782
Fax:            +49 - (0)321 2125 2244
email:          Rainer@krugs.de

Skype:          RMkrug
Google:         R.M.Krug@gmail.com

* Re: [babel] Writing R-packages the org way?
@ 2010-10-07 14:24 ` Erik Iverson
From: Erik Iverson @ 2010-10-07 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer M Krug; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Rainer M Krug wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am about to write an R package, and as I am an org-mode and org-babel
> user, I would (obviously) like to use org-mode for that.
>
> Is there a recommended way of writing an R package in org-babel, or do I
> have effectively wrap the R code for the documentation etc. into source
> blocks in babel?

That's what I do.  I've looked into converting an org-file to
Roxygen or Rd markup, but never got very far.  My idea at the time
was to do something like:

* function1
** Help
*** Title
     this is function 1 title
*** Description
     function1 does this...
*** Usage
     function1(arg1, arg2, ...)
*** Arguments
     arg1: the first argument
*** Examples
     function1(arg1 = x, arg2 = y)
**Definition
     begin_src R :tangle R/package.R
     function1 <- function(arg1, arg2) {

     }

> Any suggestions how to best proceed?
>
> Dream: I would like to have one org file which contains everything
> (documentation, code, other relevant files) and if I export or tangle
> the file, I have the package ready.

Well, that functionality is essentially present with code blocks
and tangling, except the documentation part.

@ 2010-10-07 14:25 ` Dan Davison
From: Dan Davison @ 2010-10-07 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer M Krug; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi
>
> I am about to write an R package, and as I am an org-mode and org-babel
> user, I would (obviously) like to use org-mode for that.
>
> Is there a recommended way of writing an R package in org-babel, or do I
> have effectively wrap the R code for the documentation etc. into source
> blocks in babel?
>
> Any suggestions how to best proceed?
>
> Dream: I would like to have one org file which contains everything
> (documentation, code, other relevant files) and if I export or tangle the
> file, I have the package ready.
>
> Is there anything like that?

Hi Rainer,

This sounds like a seriously good idea, and I wish it already
existed. However...not as far as I know. I'd be very happy to help in
any way I can if you decide to take this on.

Dan

@ 2010-10-07 15:03   ` Dan Davison
From: Dan Davison @ 2010-10-07 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik Iverson; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Rainer M Krug

Erik Iverson <eriki@ccbr.umn.edu> writes:

> Rainer M Krug wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I am about to write an R package, and as I am an org-mode and
>> org-babel user, I would (obviously) like to use org-mode for that.
>>
>> Is there a recommended way of writing an R package in org-babel, or
>> do I have effectively wrap the R code for the documentation
>> etc. into source blocks in babel?
>
> That's what I do.  I've looked into converting an org-file to
> Roxygen or Rd markup, but never got very far.  My idea at the time
> was to do something like:
>
> * function1
> ** Help
> *** Title
>     this is function 1 title
> *** Description
>     function1 does this...
> *** Usage
>     function1(arg1, arg2, ...)
> *** Arguments
>     arg1: the first argument
> *** Examples
>     function1(arg1 = x, arg2 = y)
> **Definition
>     begin_src R :tangle R/package.R
>     function1 <- function(arg1, arg2) {
>
>     }
>

>> Any suggestions how to best proceed?
>>
>> Dream: I would like to have one org file which contains everything
>> (documentation, code, other relevant files) and if I export or
>> tangle the file, I have the package ready.
>
> Well, that functionality is essentially present with code blocks
> and tangling, except the documentation part.

Hi Erik,

Would you mind expanding on that -- what are we missing for the
documentation part?

Dan

* Re: [babel] Writing R-packages the org way?
@ 2010-10-07 15:12     ` Erik Iverson
From: Erik Iverson @ 2010-10-07 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Davison; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Rainer M Krug

Dan Davison wrote:
> Erik Iverson <eriki@ccbr.umn.edu> writes:
>
>> Rainer M Krug wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I am about to write an R package, and as I am an org-mode and
>>> org-babel user, I would (obviously) like to use org-mode for that.
>>>
>>> Is there a recommended way of writing an R package in org-babel, or
>>> do I have effectively wrap the R code for the documentation
>>> etc. into source blocks in babel?
>> That's what I do.  I've looked into converting an org-file to
>> Roxygen or Rd markup, but never got very far.  My idea at the time
>> was to do something like:
>>
>> * function1
>> ** Help
>> *** Title
>>     this is function 1 title
>> *** Description
>>     function1 does this...
>> *** Usage
>>     function1(arg1, arg2, ...)
>> *** Arguments
>>     arg1: the first argument
>> *** Examples
>>     function1(arg1 = x, arg2 = y)
>> **Definition
>>     begin_src R :tangle R/package.R
>>     function1 <- function(arg1, arg2) {
>>
>>     }
>>

>>> Any suggestions how to best proceed?
>>>
>>> Dream: I would like to have one org file which contains everything
>>> (documentation, code, other relevant files) and if I export or
>>> tangle the file, I have the package ready.
>> Well, that functionality is essentially present with code blocks
>> and tangling, except the documentation part.
>
> Hi Erik,
>
> Would you mind expanding on that -- what are we missing for the
> documentation part?

Dan, by "except for the documentation part", I meant generating
.Rd files (the LaTeX-like syntax) automatically from some org-syntax
that does *not* depend on code blocks.  I.e., it would be cool to
specify syntax like I have above for documentation.  Using org-mode
headlines for each section like Description, Usage, Arguments, etc.

Just like exporting to LaTeX generates sections, some process would
use these headlines to generate the .Rd sections.

That way, you don't have to use the .Rd syntax yourself.  No big deal,
just a convenience feature.  I don't know how you'd specify to org-mode
that a particular subtree was to generate .Rd syntax, and I don't know
if it would be on export or tangling.

An alternative is simply just to use code blocks of type Rd within
org-mode and then tangle to .Rd files.  That's what I currently do.

Hope that explains it,
Erik

@ 2010-10-07 15:59       ` Dan Davison
From: Dan Davison @ 2010-10-07 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik Iverson; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Rainer M Krug

Erik Iverson <eriki@ccbr.umn.edu> writes:

> Dan Davison wrote:
>> Erik Iverson <eriki@ccbr.umn.edu> writes:

>>> That's what I do.  I've looked into converting an org-file to
>>> Roxygen or Rd markup, but never got very far.  My idea at the time
>>> was to do something like:
>>>
>>> * function1
>>> ** Help
>>> *** Title
>>>     this is function 1 title
>>> *** Description
>>>     function1 does this...
>>> *** Usage
>>>     function1(arg1, arg2, ...)
>>> *** Arguments
>>>     arg1: the first argument
>>> *** Examples
>>>     function1(arg1 = x, arg2 = y)
>>> **Definition
>>>     begin_src R :tangle R/package.R
>>>     function1 <- function(arg1, arg2) {
>>>
>>>     }

>>> Well, that functionality is essentially present with code blocks
>>> and tangling, except the documentation part.
>>
>> Hi Erik,
>>
>> Would you mind expanding on that -- what are we missing for the
>> documentation part?
>>

> Dan, by "except for the documentation part", I meant generating
> .Rd files (the LaTeX-like syntax) automatically from some org-syntax
> that does *not* depend on code blocks.  I.e., it would be cool to
> specify syntax like I have above for documentation.  Using org-mode
> headlines for each section like Description, Usage, Arguments, etc.
>
> Just like exporting to LaTeX generates sections, some process would
> use these headlines to generate the .Rd sections.
>
> That way, you don't have to use the .Rd syntax yourself.  No big deal,
> just a convenience feature.  I don't know how you'd specify to org-mode
> that a particular subtree was to generate .Rd syntax, and I don't know
> if it would be on export or tangling.
>
> An alternative is simply just to use code blocks of type Rd within
> org-mode and then tangle to .Rd files.  That's what I currently do.
>
> Hope that explains it,

Yes perfectly, thanks. I had only thought of the solution you mention
involving writing Rd explicitly; I hadn't thought of Rd as an export
target.

Well, anyone who wants to put Bastien's new export machinery to the
test, I'll have a texinfo and an Rd backend please.

:)

Dan

@ 2010-10-07 16:04       ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2010-10-07 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik Iverson; +Cc: Dan Davison, emacs-orgmode

On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 5:12 PM, Erik Iverson <eriki@ccbr.umn.edu> wrote:

> Dan Davison wrote:
>
>> Erik Iverson <eriki@ccbr.umn.edu> writes:

>>> That's what I do.  I've looked into converting an org-file to
>>> Roxygen or Rd markup, but never got very far.  My idea at the time
>>> was to do something like:
>>>
>>> * function1
>>> ** Help
>>> *** Title
>>>    this is function 1 title
>>> *** Description
>>>    function1 does this...
>>> *** Usage
>>>    function1(arg1, arg2, ...)
>>> *** Arguments
>>>    arg1: the first argument
>>> *** Examples
>>>    function1(arg1 = x, arg2 = y)
>>> **Definition
>>>    begin_src R :tangle R/package.R
>>>    function1 <- function(arg1, arg2) {
>>>
>>>    }

I like the idea of a kind of template, which takes the function name as a
parameter and expands it to the above described structure, but also
including one section for tests.
That would definitely be a starting point from which one could look into the
"problem" of the .Rd files. As I am not an emacs / elisp expert, how could
that be done (the template)?

>>>  Any suggestions how to best proceed?

>>> Well, that functionality is essentially present with code blocks
>>> and tangling, except the documentation part.

Exactly - and that is the part I would like to have.

--

@ 2010-10-07 16:18         ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2010-10-07 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Davison; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 5:59 PM, Dan Davison <davison@stats.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

> Erik Iverson <eriki@ccbr.umn.edu> writes:
>
> > Dan Davison wrote:

> >> Hi Erik,
> >>
> >> Would you mind expanding on that -- what are we missing for the
> >> documentation part?
> >>

> > Dan, by "except for the documentation part", I meant generating
> > .Rd files (the LaTeX-like syntax) automatically from some org-syntax
> > that does *not* depend on code blocks.  I.e., it would be cool to
> > specify syntax like I have above for documentation.  Using org-mode
> > headlines for each section like Description, Usage, Arguments, etc.
> >
> > Just like exporting to LaTeX generates sections, some process would
> > use these headlines to generate the .Rd sections.
> >
> > That way, you don't have to use the .Rd syntax yourself.  No big deal,
> > just a convenience feature.  I don't know how you'd specify to org-mode
> > that a particular subtree was to generate .Rd syntax, and I don't know
> > if it would be on export or tangling.
> >
> > An alternative is simply just to use code blocks of type Rd within
> > org-mode and then tangle to .Rd files.  That's what I currently do.
> >
> > Hope that explains it,
>
> Yes perfectly, thanks. I had only thought of the solution you mention
> involving writing Rd explicitly; I hadn't thought of Rd as an export
> target.

I would not say that an Rd export target would be the solution, as only
parts of the document have to exported to .Rd format, and others (the code)
has to be tangled --- well, I guess one could do it in a two step process:
first exporting to .Rd based on the headers, and then tangling the code
blocks (which were not exported) into the same structure.

> Well, anyone who wants to put Bastien's new export machinery to the
> test, I'll have a texinfo and an Rd backend please.

Agreed.

@ 2010-10-07 17:16         ` Dan Davison
From: Dan Davison @ 2010-10-07 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer M Krug; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug@gmail.com> writes:

> On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 5:12 PM, Erik Iverson <eriki@ccbr.umn.edu> wrote:
>> Dan Davison wrote:
>>> Erik Iverson <eriki@ccbr.umn.edu> writes:

> I like the idea of a kind of template, which takes the function name as a
> parameter and expands it to the above described structure, but also
> including one section for tests.
> That would definitely be a starting point from which one could look into the
> "problem" of the .Rd files. As I am not an emacs / elisp expert, how could
> that be done (the template)?

Something like this?

#+function: R-pkg-template(function_name)
#+begin_src sh :results output org
cat << EOF
* $function_name
** Help
*** Title
    this is $function_name title
*** Description
    $function_name does this...
*** Usage
    $function_name(arg1, arg2, ...)
*** Arguments
    arg1: the first argument
*** Examples
    $function_name(arg1 = x, arg2 = y)
** Definition
    begin_src R :tangle R/package.R
    $function_name <- function(arg1, arg2) {

    }
EOF
#+end_src

Then, to insert a template, you can use

#+call: R-pkg-template(function_name="do.something") :results output org raw

which should give something like this:

#+results: R-pkg-template(function_name="do.something")
* do.something
** Help
*** Title
    this is do.something title
*** Description
    do.something does this...
*** Usage
    do.something(arg1, arg2, ...)
*** Arguments
    arg1: the first argument
*** Examples
    do.something(arg1 = x, arg2 = y)
** Definition
    begin_src R :tangle R/package.R
    do.something <- function(arg1, arg2) {

    }

While playing about you may want to get rid of the "raw" directive so
that the results will automatically be replaced on repeated evaluations.

Dan

> Exactly - and that is the part I would like to have.
>

>>> Hi Erik,
>>>
>>> Would you mind expanding on that -- what are we missing for the
>>> documentation part?
>>>

>> Dan, by "except for the documentation part", I meant generating
>> .Rd files (the LaTeX-like syntax) automatically from some org-syntax
>> that does *not* depend on code blocks.  I.e., it would be cool to
>> specify syntax like I have above for documentation.  Using org-mode
>> headlines for each section like Description, Usage, Arguments, etc.
>>
>> Just like exporting to LaTeX generates sections, some process would
>> use these headlines to generate the .Rd sections.
>>
>> That way, you don't have to use the .Rd syntax yourself.  No big deal,
>> just a convenience feature.  I don't know how you'd specify to org-mode
>> that a particular subtree was to generate .Rd syntax, and I don't know
>> if it would be on export or tangling.
>>
>> An alternative is simply just to use code blocks of type Rd within
>> org-mode and then tangle to .Rd files.  That's what I currently do.
>>
>> Hope that explains it,
>> Erik
>>

>>  Dan

* Re: Re: [babel] Writing R-packages the org way?
@ 2010-10-08  4:29           ` Charles C. Berry
From: Charles C. Berry @ 2010-10-08  4:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Davison; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Rainer M Krug

On Thu, 7 Oct 2010, Dan Davison wrote:

> Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug@gmail.com> writes:

>> I like the idea of a kind of template, which takes the function name as a
>> parameter and expands it to the above described structure, but also
>> including one section for tests.
>> That would definitely be a starting point from which one could look into the
>> "problem" of the .Rd files. As I am not an emacs / elisp expert, how could
>> that be done (the template)?
>
> Something like this?

> #+function: R-pkg-template(function_name)
> #+begin_src sh :results output org
> cat << EOF
> * $function_name
> ** Help
> *** Title
>    this is $function_name title
> *** Description
>    $function_name does this...
> *** Usage
>    $function_name(arg1, arg2, ...)
> *** Arguments
>    arg1: the first argument
> *** Examples
>    $function_name(arg1 = x, arg2 = y)
> ** Definition
>    begin_src R :tangle R/package.R
>    $function_name <- function(arg1, arg2) {
>
>    },

> EOF
> #+end_src

I'm late to this party, but thought I might add a few bits. I think
keeping package maintenance and development in emacs makes perfect
sense, but I am less certain about using a single org file.

ESS already has Rd-mode, which has helpful functions like

     Rd-mode-insert-skeleton
and
     Rd-preview-help

Rather than store the Rd markup or something that gets translated to
it (BTW, see http://developer.r-project.org/parseRd.pdf) in a src
block, I'd make a skeleton package directory and just store links to
the man/*.Rd files within my *.org file and visit them from there.

In the *.org file I'd put src blocks to run R CMD check and R CMD
INSTALL like this:

#+begin_src sh :results outout
    R_ARCH=/x86_64
    export R_ARCH
    R CMD check  makeSitesDF/  | sed 's/^/ /'
  #+end_src

for example which helps me keep track of my progress and keeps me from
accumulating junk in a terminal window. R src blocks can be used to
run test code or to develop and try out a function before moving it to
R/*.R. I've done just enough of this kind of stuff to feel that
starting with an org file and a package directory skeleton that is
slowly populated works for me as a way to get off the ground with new
packages.

However, my $0.02 is that a lot of functionality would need to be
added to make a single org file serve as an all purpose package
development and maintenance environment.

If you do decide to go all in for a 'one org file makes one package'
approach, you might try to get Rd language support added, so you can
edit Rd directly in an Org Src buffer in Rd-mode. And get
org-babel-Rd-evaluate to run Rd-preview-help or call Rd2HTML or
whatnot.

HTH,

Chuck

> Then, to insert a template, you can use
>
> #+call: R-pkg-template(function_name="do.something") :results output org raw
>
> which should give something like this:

> #+results: R-pkg-template(function_name="do.something")
> * do.something
> ** Help
> *** Title
>    this is do.something title
> *** Description
>    do.something does this...
> *** Usage
>    do.something(arg1, arg2, ...)
> *** Arguments
>    arg1: the first argument
> *** Examples
>    do.something(arg1 = x, arg2 = y)
> ** Definition
>    begin_src R :tangle R/package.R
>    do.something <- function(arg1, arg2) {
>
>    }
>
> While playing about you may want to get rid of the "raw" directive so
> that the results will automatically be replaced on repeated evaluations.
>
> Dan

>> Exactly - and that is the part I would like to have.

>>> Dan, by "except for the documentation part", I meant generating
>>> .Rd files (the LaTeX-like syntax) automatically from some org-syntax
>>> that does *not* depend on code blocks.  I.e., it would be cool to
>>> specify syntax like I have above for documentation.  Using org-mode
>>> headlines for each section like Description, Usage, Arguments, etc.
>>>
>>> Just like exporting to LaTeX generates sections, some process would
>>> use these headlines to generate the .Rd sections.
>>>
>>> That way, you don't have to use the .Rd syntax yourself.  No big deal,
>>> just a convenience feature.  I don't know how you'd specify to org-mode
>>> that a particular subtree was to generate .Rd syntax, and I don't know
>>> if it would be on export or tangling.
>>>
>>> An alternative is simply just to use code blocks of type Rd within
>>> org-mode and then tangle to .Rd files.  That's what I currently do.
>>>
>>> Hope that explains it,
>>> Erik
>>>

>>>  Dan

                                             Dept of Family/Preventive Medicine
E mailto:cberry@tajo.ucsd.edu	            UC San Diego

* Re: [babel] Writing R-packages the org way?
@ 2010-10-08 12:10             ` Dan Davison
From: Dan Davison @ 2010-10-08 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles C. Berry; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Rainer M Krug

Hi Chuck,

I agree about making use of existing ESS tools and that a more
traditional Org approach might be appropriate.

> If you do decide to go all in for a 'one org file makes one package'
> approach, you might try to get Rd language support added, so you can
> edit Rd directly in an Org Src buffer in Rd-mode.

No extra code is needed to get editing support for languages.

#+begin_src XXX

provides an edit buffer in XXX-mode automatically, with no special
customization. Also fontification in the org buffer works automatically
if `org-src-fontify-natively' is set.

Dan

@ 2010-10-08 13:09               ` Stephen Eglen
From: Stephen Eglen @ 2010-10-08 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: S.J.Eglen

Dan Davison <davison@stats.ox.ac.uk> writes:

> Hi Chuck,
>
> I agree about making use of existing ESS tools and that a more
> traditional Org approach might be appropriate.

this may be slightly off-topic, but another way of adding documentation
is to the 'roxygen' markup.
  http://roxygen.org/

ESS has some support for editing roxygen comment chunks within ESS
buffers,

Stephen

* Re: [babel] Writing R-packages the org way?
@ 2010-10-08 15:35               ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2010-10-08 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Davison; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Charles C. Berry