* avoiding source block prompts
@ 2010-07-26 18:28 Charles C. Berry
From: Charles C. Berry @ 2010-07-26 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I think this is a new feature or perhaps a bug, which I noticed when
upgrading to version 7.01.

The newline and the two prompts '> >' in the results block below did not
show up in the earlier versions I used.

If this is a 'feature', is there a clean way to change this behavior?

If this is a bug, is there a simple patch to fix it?

#+begin_src R :session :results output
### create x
x <- rnorm(1)
### now print the result
#+end_src

#+results:
:
: > > [1] 2.186783

What I would have liked is to have something that looks like this:

#+results:
: [1] 2.186783

Thanks,

Chuck

                                             Dept of Family/Preventive Medicine
E mailto:cberry@tajo.ucsd.edu	            UC San Diego

* Re: avoiding source block prompts
@ 2010-07-27 18:18 ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2010-07-27 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles C. Berry; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Charles,

I just pushed up a fix for the extra prompts in your output.  You will
still have a blank line (the output from "x <- rnorm(1)"), however you
can suppress that line by placing the "x <- rnorm(1)" command in a
previous code block in the same session.

Best -- Eric

@ 2010-07-27 19:40   ` Charles C. Berry
From: Charles C. Berry @ 2010-07-27 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, 27 Jul 2010, Eric Schulte wrote:

> Hi Charles,
>
> I just pushed up a fix for the extra prompts in your output.  You will
> still have a blank line (the output from "x <- rnorm(1)"), however you
> can suppress that line by placing the "x <- rnorm(1)" command in a
> previous code block in the same session.

Eric,

Thanks. That works for me.

Chuck

> Best -- Eric
>
> "Charles C. Berry" <cberry@tajo.ucsd.edu> writes:
>
>> I think this is a new feature or perhaps a bug, which I noticed when
>> upgrading to version 7.01.
>>
>> The newline and the two prompts '> >' in the results block below did
>> not show up in the earlier versions I used.
>>
>> If this is a 'feature', is there a clean way to change this behavior?
>>
>> If this is a bug, is there a simple patch to fix it?
>>
>> #+begin_src R :session :results output
>> ### create x
>> x <- rnorm(1)
>> ### now print the result
>> #+end_src
>>
>> #+results:
>> :
>> : > > [1] 2.186783
>>

>> What I would have liked is to have something that looks like this:
>>
>> #+results:
>> : [1] 2.186783
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Chuck
>>

>> Charles C. Berry                            (858) 534-2098
>>                                             Dept of Family/Preventive Medicine
>> E mailto:cberry@tajo.ucsd.edu	            UC San Diego
>> http://famprevmed.ucsd.edu/faculty/cberry/  La Jolla, San Diego 92093-0901

                                             Dept of Family/Preventive Medicine
E mailto:cberry@tajo.ucsd.edu	            UC San Diego

* Prompts again WAS Re: avoiding source block prompts
@ 2010-07-27 20:15     ` Charles C. Berry
From: Charles C. Berry @ 2010-07-27 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Eric,

I spoke too soon.

Have a look at the following. You'll see that the
prompts show up there. :-(

Chuck

#+begin_src R :session :results output
### create x
x <- data.frame(a=rnorm(2),b=rnorm(2))
### now print the result
#+end_src

#+results:
:
: > >           a          b
: 1 0.2702748 -0.2938296
: 2 1.1095136  0.1769425

On Tue, 27 Jul 2010, Charles C. Berry wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Jul 2010, Eric Schulte wrote:
>
>>  Hi Charles,
>>
>>  I just pushed up a fix for the extra prompts in your output.  You will
>>  still have a blank line (the output from "x <- rnorm(1)"), however you
>>  can suppress that line by placing the "x <- rnorm(1)" command in a
>>  previous code block in the same session.
>
> Eric,
>
> Thanks. That works for me.
>
> Chuck
>

>>  Best -- Eric
>>
>>  "Charles C. Berry" <cberry@tajo.ucsd.edu> writes:
>>
>> >  I think this is a new feature or perhaps a bug, which I noticed when
>> >  upgrading to version 7.01.
>> >
>> >  The newline and the two prompts '> >' in the results block below did
>> >  not show up in the earlier versions I used.
>> >
>> >  If this is a 'feature', is there a clean way to change this behavior?
>> >
>> >  If this is a bug, is there a simple patch to fix it?
>> >
>> >  #+begin_src R :session :results output
>> >  ### create x
>> >  x <- rnorm(1)
>> >  ### now print the result
>> >  #+end_src
>> >
>> >  #+results:
>> >  :
>> > : > >  [1] 2.186783
>> >

>> >  What I would have liked is to have something that looks like this:
>> >
>> >  #+results:
>> > :  [1] 2.186783
>> >
>> >  Thanks,
>> >
>> >  Chuck
>> >

>> >  Charles C. Berry                            (858) 534-2098
>> >                                              Dept of Family/Preventive
>> >  Medicine
>> >  E mailto:cberry@tajo.ucsd.edu	            UC San Diego
>> >  http://famprevmed.ucsd.edu/faculty/cberry/  La Jolla, San Diego
>> >  92093-0901

> Charles C. Berry                            (858) 534-2098
>                                            Dept of Family/Preventive
> Medicine
> E mailto:cberry@tajo.ucsd.edu	            UC San Diego
> http://famprevmed.ucsd.edu/faculty/cberry/  La Jolla, San Diego 92093-0901

                                             Dept of Family/Preventive Medicine
E mailto:cberry@tajo.ucsd.edu	            UC San Diego

* Re: Prompts again WAS Re: avoiding source block prompts
@ 2010-07-27 22:31       ` Charles C. Berry
From: Charles C. Berry @ 2010-07-27 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Eric,

In ob-R.el, changing this

 	  (if (string-match "^\\([ >]+\\)\\[[0-9]+\\]" line)

to this

 	  (if (string-match "^\\([ ]*[>+][ ]?\\)+\\([[0-9]+\\|[ ]\\)" line)

seems to fix things (note I added plus sign which is the continuation
prompt in R).

I tried it on a bunch of varied source blocks and it seems to work OK, but
I worry that there may be case where it will fail.

Chuck

@ 2010-07-28 14:03         ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2010-07-28 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles C. Berry; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Thanks Chuck,

I've just swapped in your new and improved regexp.

I share your concern both that there could be cases where prompts aren't
matched, or more seriously where the actual output looks like a prompt
(e.g. user returns a prompt-like string).

Before taking this explicit prompt removal approach I tried
automatically removing comment lines from the input before passing it to
the inferior R process, however that ran into similar problems of users
potentially inputting valid strings which look like comments -- which
would be hard to catch without implementing a fairly sophisticated R
parser as part of Babel.

This new regexp looks like the best option for now.

Thanks! -- Eric

@ 2010-08-05  3:09           ` Charles C. Berry
From: Charles C. Berry @ 2010-08-05  3:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Wed, 28 Jul 2010, Eric Schulte wrote:

> Thanks Chuck,
>
> I've just swapped in your new and improved regexp.
>
> I share your concern both that there could be cases where prompts aren't
> matched, or more seriously where the actual output looks like a prompt
> (e.g. user returns a prompt-like string).
>
> Before taking this explicit prompt removal approach I tried
> automatically removing comment lines from the input before passing it to
> the inferior R process, however that ran into similar problems of users
> potentially inputting valid strings which look like comments -- which
> would be hard to catch without implementing a fairly sophisticated R
> parser as part of Babel.
>
> This new regexp looks like the best option for now.
>
> Thanks! -- Eric

Eric (and anyone else listening in),

I've put together a revised org-babel-R-evaluate.

With "R :session :results ouput" it  will gracefully handle commands like:

 	cat("\n > > + > \n")

leaving the output in place, but trimming out the prompts and gratuitous
lines.

The code appears below along with a couple of test cases.

I did not touch anything in org-babel-R-evaluate above the second
'(output'; it looks like the ':session :results value' case
will  have trouble when a block ends with something like this

 	cat( "no newline" );invisible(1+1)

(say) and (inferior-ess-send-input) does not result in a newline, but
I am not sure how to engineer that. Maybe just
eval( parse( text=..ob.body ) ), but I don't know how to get the text in
body sent to R as ..ob.body.

If the elisp looks peculiar, it is because I am just picking it up.
Criticism and pointers welcome.

Chuck

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
   (setq org-babel-R-initiate-sink
        "..ob.tcon <- textConnection(\"..ob.tcon.txt\",\"w\")
        ..ob.eol <- \"\n\"
         sink( ..ob.tcon ) \n")

   (setq org-babel-R-finish-sink
        "\nsink()
         close( ..ob.tcon )
         cat( ..ob.eol )
         cat(..ob.tcon.txt, sep=..ob.eol)
         rm( ..ob.tcon.txt )")

(defmacro sinkout (bd)
   (list 'concat org-babel-R-initiate-sink bd org-babel-R-finish-sink))

(defun drop-two-lines (linestring)
   "Search for second '\\n' and delete all characters up to an including it."
   (substring  linestring
               (progn (string-match "\n.*\n" linestring)
                      (match-end 0))))

(defun org-babel-R-evaluate
   (session body result-type column-names-p row-names-p)
   "Pass BODY to the R process in SESSION.
   If RESULT-TYPE equals 'output then return a list of the outputs
   of the statements in BODY, if RESULT-TYPE equals 'value then
   return the value of the last statement in BODY, as elisp."
   (if (not session)
       ;; external process evaluation
       (case result-type
         (output (org-babel-eval org-babel-R-command body))
         (value
          (let ((tmp-file (make-temp-file "org-babel-R-results-")))
            (org-babel-eval org-babel-R-command
                            (format org-babel-R-wrapper-method
                                    body tmp-file
                                    (if row-names-p "TRUE" "FALSE")
                                    (if column-names-p
                                        (if row-names-p "NA" "TRUE")
                                      "FALSE")))
            (org-babel-R-process-value-result
             (org-babel-import-elisp-from-file
              (org-babel-maybe-remote-file tmp-file)) column-names-p))))
     ;; comint session evaluation
     (case result-type
       (value
        (let ((tmp-file (make-temp-file "org-babel-R"))
              broke)
          (org-babel-comint-with-output (session org-babel-R-eoe-output)
            (insert (mapconcat
                     #'org-babel-chomp
                     (list
                      body
                      (format org-babel-R-wrapper-lastvar
                              tmp-file
                              (if row-names-p "TRUE" "FALSE")
                              (if column-names-p
                                  (if row-names-p "NA" "TRUE")
                                "FALSE"))
                      org-babel-R-eoe-indicator) "\n"))
            (inferior-ess-send-input))
          (org-babel-R-process-value-result
           (org-babel-import-elisp-from-file
            (org-babel-maybe-remote-file tmp-file))  column-names-p)))
       (output
        (drop-two-lines
         (mapconcat
          #'org-babel-chomp
          (butlast
           (delq nil
                 (mapcar
                  #'identity
                  (org-babel-comint-with-output (session org-babel-R-eoe-output)
                    (insert (mapconcat #'org-babel-chomp
                                       (list (sinkout body) org-babel-R-eoe-indicator)
                                       "\n"))
                    (inferior-ess-send-input)))) 2) "\n"))))))
#+end_src

#+results:
: org-babel-R-evaluate

#+begin_src R :session :results output
cat(" >\n")
1+1
#+end_src

#+results:
:  >
: [1] 2

#+begin_src R :session :results output
   cat(" > start of block < \n" )
   x <-
       rnorm(3)
   y <- as.data.frame(diag(2))
   y+x
   cat(" >end of block< ") # no newline
#+end_src

#+results:
:  > start of block <
: [1] -1.4569661  0.1888919 -0.3685594
:           V1         V2
: 1 -0.4569661 -0.3685594
: 2  0.1888919 -0.4569661
:  >end of block<

Add an extra newline for :session :results value ?

#+begin_src R :sesison :results value
## use C-g to return after C-c C-c
## a user might do this by mistake:
cat("no newline")