From: Ignacio Casso <ignaciocasso@hotmail.com>
To: Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@gmail.com>
Cc: Samuel Wales <samologist@gmail.com>,
	Daniel Fleischer <danflscr@gmail.com>,
	Fabian <learning@hailmail.net>,
	emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: [BUG] - Statistics cookie is part of the org heading title
Date: Wed, 04 May 2022 08:31:17 +0200	[thread overview]

> Samuel Wales <samologist@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> some code removes it.  for example creating a link to a headline using capture.
>
> Yeah. org-link--normalize-string. But it is internal function, so I would
> not rely on it.
>
> Also, rather than relying on regexps, I would use
> org-element-headline-parser, extract parsed :title property, and filter
> out statistics-cookie objects.
>
> Best,
> Ihor

I replied to this bug report yesterday via the "reply via email to"
button in
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2022-05/msg00058.html,
assuming it would send it to the org-mode list, but now I see that it
was only sent to Fabian. I copy my answer at the end of this email,
although when I wrote it I did not know that statistics cookies can
appear anywhere in the headline and not just at the end before tags, nor
about `org-element-headline-parser', so as a reply it may be no longer
relevant or correct.

Still, I think it might be interesting to compare this topic with the
one I linked in my reply,
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2022-03/msg00293.html,
which it's basically the same bug report but about COMMENT keywords. In
that regard, I have tested that org-capture targets do work regardless
of statistcs cookies. Could not something equivalent be done so that
they also work regardless of COMMENT keywords? Feel free to reply in
that other thread if you feel this is off-topic here.

Regards,

--Ignacio

Original reply:

Hi Fabian,

> I would like to report his behaviour as a bug:
> ----
> Example:
>
> * Some Heading Title [0/1]              ;; cursor in this line when executing
> ** TODO Some Todo Item
>
> -> result is "Some Heading Title [0/1]"
>
> -> desired result would be "Some Heading Title"
> ----

You forgot to say that you use (nth 4 (org-heading-components)) when you
copied the example from emacs.stackexchange.com.

> I don't see any reason why the statistics cookie should be part of the title:
> it should be a separate component.

I agree.

This bug is related with the issue I reported in
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2022-03/msg00293.html. The
problem is that `org-heading-components' uses
`org-complex-heading-regexp', which does not consider statistics
cookies, and neither COMMENT keywords as I reported. I think it should be
updated to consider both.

In the meantime, I was going to suggest that you use the org parser,
with

  (org-element-property :title (org-element-context))

which solves the problem in the case of the COMMENT keywords. But I have
tested it and it does not solve it in the case of statistics cookies, so
I guess the problem should be fixed in org-element.el too.

Regards,

-- Ignacio