* Default fold state of property drawers?
@ 2020-10-28  9:57 Gustav Wikström
From: Gustav Wikström @ 2020-10-28  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hi,

This may be a stupid question but I didn't find anything conclusive in the manual or online after a (albeit fairly quick) scan.

Is there currently a way to declare that property drawers (and the file level property drawer in particular) should be hidden when opening a new Org file, no matter the startup keyword setting? I.e is it possible to control the open/closed state of the property drawer separate from the outline folding?

Thanks and best regards
Gustav

* Re: Default fold state of property drawers?
@ 2020-10-29  2:45 ` Kyle Meyer
From: Kyle Meyer @ 2020-10-29  2:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gustav Wikström; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Gustav Wikström writes:

> Hi,
>
> This may be a stupid question but I didn't find anything conclusive in
> the manual or online after a (albeit fairly quick) scan.
>
> Is there currently a way to declare that property drawers (and the
> file level property drawer in particular) should be hidden when
> opening a new Org file, no matter the startup keyword setting? I.e is
> it possible to control the open/closed state of the property drawer
> separate from the outline folding?

I may be missing something too, but I'm not aware of a way to do this
that's distinct from setting org-startup-folded and friends.  But
doesn't org-startup-folded's showall/showeverything distinction cover
your usecase?

* Re: Default fold state of property drawers?
@ 2020-10-29 12:25   ` Gustav Wikström
From: Gustav Wikström @ 2020-10-29 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kyle Meyer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hmm, maybe.. Didn't consider that one.

But maybe my issue rather lies in how the visibility toggling with S-TAB functions. The file property drawer is open in OVERVIEW and CONTENT but hidden in SHOW ALL. My intuition says that the file-property drawer should be closed for all toggle-states. Thoughts?

/Gustav

@ 2020-11-01 18:21     ` Kyle Meyer
From: Kyle Meyer @ 2020-11-01 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gustav Wikström; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Gustav Wikström writes:

> But maybe my issue rather lies in how the visibility toggling with
> S-TAB functions. The file property drawer is open in OVERVIEW and
> CONTENT but hidden in SHOW ALL. My intuition says that the
> file-property drawer should be closed for all toggle-states. Thoughts?

I agree.  While I've never used file-level property drawers, my
expectation would be for them to behave in the same way a heading's
would.

FWIW when you introduced file-level property drawers in 1bdff9f73 (Org
document property-drawers, 2019-05-26), it looks like cycling wasn't
considered and S-TAB would just ignore these drawers, preserving their
current state.

The cycling behavior you described above appears to come with 1aa095ccf
(Fix drawer invisibility, 2020-06-06).  I think that was in response to
<https://orgmode.org/list/87a71thwp2.fsf@fastmail.fm/T/#u>.  While I
haven't taken a close look, my guess is that the effect on file-level
property drawers was unintended, and that improvements here would be
welcomed.

* Re: Default fold state of property drawers?
@ 2020-11-04 23:55       ` Gustav Wikström
From: Gustav Wikström @ 2020-11-04 23:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kyle Meyer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hi Kyle,

And thanks for a second pair of eyes on this!

I've pushed a patch to the repo that should fix it.

--- commit 8d7a9b4ce
Hide drawers before first headline properly when cycling visibility

* lisp/org.el (org--hide-drawers): New internal function consolidating
  logic from two places currently.

  (org-cycle-hide-drawers): Hide drawers before first headline at
  appropriate times.  Refactor to use new internal function
  `org--hide-drawers'.

  (org-hide-drawer-all): Refactor to use new internal function
  `org--hide-drawers'.

Kind regards
Gustav