From: Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com>
To: Cameron Horsburgh <cammo@netcall.com.au>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Possible bug with tag inheritance
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 15:54:29 +0200	[thread overview]

On Apr 24, 2009, at 12:43 PM, Cameron Horsburgh wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Today I stumbled across an instance where tag inheritance doesn't seem
> to work as I expected it to.
>
> I'm using GNU Emacs 23.0.92.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.14.7)
> of 2009-04-12 on elegiac, modified by Debian, and Org-mode version
> 6.26trans.
>
> Let's say I have an org file that records all the information for a
> particular part of my life. Different parts of the file record
> meetings, track projects and record notes and other
> information. Here's what it might look like:
>

> * Meetings
> ** Lunch with John						 :Restaurant:
>   <2009-04-27 Mon 12:30>
> ** Meeting with Fred						     :Office:
>   <2009-04-27 Mon 13:00>
> * Projects
> ** Find Higgs Boson						 :Laboratory:
>   DEADLINE: <2009-04-27 Mon>
> ** Achieve World domination				  :Office:Laboratory:
>   SCHEDULED: <2009-04-28 Tue>
> ** Cook dinner							    :Kitchen:
> * Notes								       :Info:
> ** Mary's phone numbers
>   - 1234-5678
>   - 0412-345-678
> ** Jenny's web page
>   - [[http://www.somewebpage.com][Jenny's web page]]
>
> I have customised org-stuck-projects[fn:1] to ignore entries tagged
> with the tag `Info'. org-use-tag-inheritance is set to `t'.
>
> If I hit C-a # to list stuck projects I would only expect to see the
> entry about cooking dinner listed. The `Notes' headline should be
> ignored, as should the notes about Mary's phone number and Jenny's web
> page, because they inherit the `Info' tag.
>
> In practice, the `Notes' headline is ignored as expected. However, the
> children are listed as stuck projects.
>
> After all this I have realised it's probably more appropriate to use
> properties rather than tags to do this sort of thing. Still, the
> behaviour puzzles me a bit, so I thought it was worth asking about.
>
> Is this behaviour incorrect? Or am I expecting the wrong thing?

The tags in org-stuck-projects must be present explicitly in the
subtree, because the subtree is searched with a regula expression that
does not know about inheritance.

However, you can include this into your definition of a project:

(setq org-stuck-projects
    (quote ("+LEVEL=2-Info/-DONE" ("TODO" "NEXT" "NEXTACTION") nil "")))

HTH

> * Footnotes
>
> [fn:1] I had some trouble customising this variable in the usual way,
> because the explanation at the end of the customize buffer somehow got
> included in the sexp recorded in my .emacs. I deleted that line, reset
> the customize buffer and started again, but with exactly the same
> result.

There seems to be a bug in customize.  Can anyone please submit a but
report to Emacs, after verifying that this still occurs in the latest
update of emacs 23?