From: Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com>
To: Matt Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org, Herbert Sitz <hesitz@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Update on Org-mode clone in Vim
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 15:58:24 +0100	[thread overview]

On Nov 29, 2010, at 3:00 PM, Matt Lundin wrote:

> Herbert Sitz <hesitz@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Matt Lundin <mdl <at> imapmail.org> writes:
>>>
>>> I'm curious to see how hyperlinks and capture might work in a vim
>>> environment. Being able to call org-capture from anywhere in my
>>> Emacs
>>> ecosystem (or should I say operating system) has spoiled me. :)
>>
>> Matt -- Regarding the hyperlinks there's a Vim plugin that already
>> seems to have pretty complete hyperlinking functionality.  Just put
>> it in your plugin folder and you're good to go with it.  You
>> can find it here:
>>
>> http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=293
>>
>> I haven't done any checking to see what needs to be done to make
>> it compatible with Org-mode hyperlinking markup.  I don't think it
>> should be too bad.
>
> The syntax does indeed seem similar at points:
>
> http://mars.iti.pk.edu.pl/doc/vim-scripts/html/plugin_utl.vim.html
>

>> At least before 'conceal text' was available in Vim73 I don't
>> think there's any good way to hide link details and have just
>> the link text appear in the document.  I haven't used Vim73
>> or looked at conceal text much, but it seems that feature
>> might make it possible to closely replicate the way
>> Emacs does things.  I'd be happy to hear suggestions from
>> people who know more about this. . .
>
> This is a very interesting development in Vim. I remember that the
> ability to hide text (in Org-mode and auctex) was one of the things
> that
> drew me to Emacs in the first place.
>
>> I think there are some other existing Vim plugins that can
>> be made use of.  There's a footnoting plugin that I want
>> to look into adopting at some point.
>>
>> Also, I have done
>> nothing at all to implement any of Org's table editing
>> functionality.  This is pretty much independent of Org
>> itself, and I was hoping there was an existing Vim plugin
>> that would be somewhere along lines of what's in Org,
>> but I haven't found anything close yet.
>
> I'd agree. I remember wishing for a self-aligning table editor in Vim
> (let alone a spreadsheet). Then again, it took Carsten's genius to
> bring
> that particular bit of magic to Emacs, so who knows what is possible
> in
> Vim. The Vim/Unix philosophy (which I admire just as much as I admire
> the all-in-one "second OS" philosophy behind Emacs) seems to be that
> such things are better handled by external programs

This reminds me:  Almost 10 years ago, I did write such
a tool for table formatting:

http://staff.science.uva.nl/~dominik/Tools/tfmt/index.html

The man page even mentions that it can be used as a filter for
vi and Emacs.  And it implements computations of columns using
Perl syntax :)

- Carsten

> and that scripting
> and integration should take place in the shell, not the editor.[1] All
> of which makes an Org-mode clone in Vim a particularly impressive
> accomplishment!
>
> Thanks again. I look forward to following your progress.
>
> Best,
> Matt
>
> Footnotes:
> [1] And why not enjoy the best of both worlds, right?

- Carsten