* Is this a bug in orgstruct-mode
@ 2009-08-16 11:02 Leo
From: Leo @ 2009-08-16 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Carsten,

I find the following M-RET behaviour a bit strange.

For example, in an empty buffer with orgstruct-mode on. A list like this
can be created with 1 at the beginning of buffer and using M-RET to
insert the second item.
--------------------------------
1. one
2. two

However, if there is an empty line preceding '1. one', M-RET also
inserts a blank line between items, like this:
--------------------------------

1. one

2. two

Do you know if this is a bug?

[Tested in GNU Emacs 23.1.50.1 (i386-apple-darwin9.8.0, NS
apple-appkit-949.54) of 2009-08-10]

Best wishes,

Leo

--
Emacs uptime: 5 days, 20 hours, 34 minutes, 4 seconds

* Re: Is this a bug in orgstruct-mode
@ 2009-08-18 17:43 ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2009-08-18 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Any comment on this bug?

--
Emacs uptime: 1 day, 3 hours, 27 minutes, 29 seconds

* Re: Re: Is this a bug in orgstruct-mode
@ 2009-08-18 18:59   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-08-18 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Leo,

this is actually in the FAQ:

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.php#blank-line-after-headlines-and-list-items

- Carsten

@ 2009-08-18 22:02     ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2009-08-18 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 2009-08-18 19:59 +0100, Carsten Dominik wrote:
> Hi Leo,
>
> this is actually in the FAQ:
>
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.php#blank-line-after-headlines-and-list-items
>
> - Carsten

The bug I am reporting is that when there is a blank line preceding the
FIRST heading or list item, the second one will have a blank line. The
FAQ seems to address when there is a blank line preceding the second
heading or list item, the third one will have a blank line. The
behaviour in the FAQ is smart and desirable.

In my view the blank line preceding the FIRST heading or list item is
not part of that heading or list item and base behaviour on that is
wrong.

Do you still think this is a non-bug?

Thanks.

Leo

--
Emacs uptime: 1 day, 7 hours, 39 minutes, 7 seconds

* Re: Is this a bug in orgstruct-mode
@ 2009-08-19  9:31       ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-08-19  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Aug 18, 2009, at 11:02 PM, Leo wrote:

> On 2009-08-18 19:59 +0100, Carsten Dominik wrote:
>> Hi Leo,
>>
>> this is actually in the FAQ:
>>
>> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.php#blank-line-after-headlines-and-list-items
>>
>> - Carsten
>
> The bug I am reporting is that when there is a blank line preceding
> the
> FIRST heading or list item, the second one will have a blank line. The
> FAQ seems to address when there is a blank line preceding the second
> heading or list item, the third one will have a blank line. The
> behaviour in the FAQ is smart and desirable.
>
> In my view the blank line preceding the FIRST heading or list item is
> not part of that heading or list item and base behaviour on that is
> wrong.

I don't think it is either wrong or right.  When creating the second
headline, Org has no way of guessing what you want, to it makes a
choice, and I opted for a simple algorithm that looks only above
the previous sibling, in this case the first list item.

I don't see why the other choice would be any better.
Anyone else want to weigh in on tis issue?

- Carsten

@ 2009-08-19 10:02         ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2009-08-19 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 2009-08-19 10:31 +0100, Carsten Dominik wrote:
>> The bug I am reporting is that when there is a blank line preceding
>> the FIRST heading or list item, the second one will have a blank
>> line. The FAQ seems to address when there is a blank line preceding
>> the second heading or list item, the third one will have a blank
>> line. The behaviour in the FAQ is smart and desirable.
>>
>> In my view the blank line preceding the FIRST heading or list item is
>> not part of that heading or list item and base behaviour on that is
>> wrong.
>
> I don't think it is either wrong or right. When creating the second
> headline, Org has no way of guessing what you want, to it makes a
> choice, and I opted for a simple algorithm that looks only above the
> previous sibling, in this case the first list item.
>
> I don't see why the other choice would be any better. Anyone else want
> to weigh in on tis issue?

I think it is completely fine to leave it as it is.

--
Emacs uptime: 1 day, 19 hours, 42 minutes, 30 seconds