* Mention outli, and h speed-key
@ 2023-03-10  4:00 JD Smith
From: JD Smith @ 2023-03-10  4:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Outli <https://github.com/jdtsmith/outli> is a small mode I wrote which very closely follows org in style and uses the same speed-keys on comments-as-headlines.  Basically if you know org, outli will be usable “out of the box”.  It might be good to mention outli in the Worg page <https://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-outside-org.html> on org capabilities outside of org.

To quote from the README:

> • How does this relate to outline-minor-mode?
>
> outli is mostly a convenient wrapper around functionality that is already built-in to outline, adding a few things like narrow-to-subtree and insert-heading-respect-content (ala org). And of course the speed-key bindings, automatic comments-as-header patterns, and styling.

One speed key I added to outli I really miss in org, so I added it:

(if-let ((pos (cl-position '("Outline Visibility") org-speed-commands :test #'equal)))
      (cl-pushnew '("h" . outline-hide-sublevels) (nthcdr (1+ pos) org-speed-commands)))

Basically h=outline-hide-sublevels.  This allows you to quickly collapse the entire tree to the level [h]ere.  It’s a wonderful, fast compromise between the ease of Shift-Tab and org’s more targeted folding capabilities.

Thanks for your work on org!

* Re: Mention outli, and h speed-key
@ 2023-03-24  9:11 ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2023-03-24  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: JD Smith; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

* JD Smith <jdtsmith@gmail.com> [2023-03-10 07:03]:
> One speed key I added to outli I really miss in org, so I added it:
>
> (if-let ((pos (cl-position '("Outline Visibility") org-speed-commands :test #'equal)))
>       (cl-pushnew '("h" . outline-hide-sublevels) (nthcdr (1+ pos) org-speed-commands)))
>
> Basically h=outline-hide-sublevels.  This allows you to quickly
> collapse the entire tree to the level [h]ere.  It’s a wonderful,
> fast compromise between the ease of Shift-Tab and org’s more
> targeted folding capabilities.

It is more visible, but I am trying to understand what o you consider
better then outline-minor-mode

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman
https://stallmansupport.org/

* Re: Mention outli, and h speed-key
@ 2023-03-25  2:21   ` JD Smith
From: JD Smith @ 2023-03-25  2:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean Louis, emacs-orgmode

> It is more visible, but I am trying to understand what o you consider better then outline-minor-mode

It sets up headline regexps automatically and consistently, and adds configurable styling and org-inspired speed keys on headings.  At core it is still outline mode.  Think of it like org-ified outshine-light.

* Re: Mention outli, and h speed-key
@ 2023-03-25 14:36     ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2023-03-25 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: JD Smith; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

* JD Smith <jdtsmith@gmail.com> [2023-03-25 05:22]:
> > It is more visible, but I am trying to understand what o you consider better then outline-minor-mode
>
> It sets up headline regexps automatically and consistently, and adds
> configurable styling and org-inspired speed keys on headings.  At
> core it is still outline mode.  Think of it like org-ified
> outshine-light.

I have tried this in fundamental mode:

>> Ok here

Hello there

>>> And Ok here

Then I was M-x outli-mode and I was thinking headlines will now appear
automatically, but nothing appeared there.

I don't get it though I find it fancy and nice.