On 26.9.2013, at 14:16, Adam Spiers wrote: > Hi Carsten, > > On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 01:15:56PM +0200, Carsten Dominik wrote: >> Hi Adam, >> >> EXPORT_OPTIONS are for the special case that you only export that >> specific subtree, by restricting the export to a tree using C-s in >> the dispatcher. They do not modify the behavior of a tree in a >> larger export of the document, and they also should not do so IMO. > > Thanks a lot for the reply. However, what you say seems to directly > contradict this sentence in the manual: > > Options set at a specific level override options set at a more > general level. > > which is why this confused me. I guess that sentence was intended to > refer only to subtree exports, not whole document exports, but that > meaning was not clear to me. I think it means this in general, but I also think that toc creation is done at a global level, and not recursive in the tree. Maybe Nicolas has an authoritative answer on this one. - Carsten > Perhaps it can be clarified via a small > tweak? > >> Generating a single document should follow one set of rules, not >> many. > > I agree that KISS is valuable when designing the rules. However, it > also seems a perfectly reasonable requirement to be able to control > the toc: level per subtree during a whole document export, since in an > arbitrary document there's no guarantee that every headline has the > same depth. E.g. one chapter may have a few deep subsections, whereas > another may contain lots of shallow subsections. In these scenarios > it is clearly beneficial to allow the author to choose which > subsections appear in the ToC. > > So is there a way of achieving this? If not, please consider this a > feature request ;-) > > Thanks! > Adam >