* How to install contributions to org-mode such as org-contacts?
@ 2011-10-28 12:07 Marius Hofert
From: Marius Hofert @ 2011-10-28 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs help

Hi,

I downloaded and successfully installed the latest version org-mode (M-x org-version shows 7.7). I was hoping to get org-contacts with it, too, but when putting (require 'org-contacs) in .emacs, I obtain:

Warning (initialization): An error occurred while loading `/Users/mhofert/.emacs':

File error: Cannot open load file, org-contacts

To ensure normal operation, you should investigate and remove the
cause of the error in your initialization file.  Start Emacs with
the `--debug-init' option to view a complete error backtrace.

Org-contacts is one of the contributions and can be found in org-7.7/contrib.
How can I install this org-mode contribution (on Mac OS X 10.7.2 with GNU Emacs 23.3 (9.0))?

I installed the latest org-mode version by setting (in ./Makefile):

 EMACS=/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS//emacs
 lispdir=/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/
 infodir=/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/info

I checked the contribution README, but that didn't tell  me how to install org-mode ocntributions.

Cheers,

Marius

* Re: How to install contributions to org-mode such as org-contacts?
@ 2011-10-28 12:23 ` Brian van den Broek
From: Brian van den Broek @ 2011-10-28 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marius Hofert; +Cc: Emacs help

On 28 October 2011 14:07, Marius Hofert <marius.hofert@math.ethz.ch> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I downloaded and successfully installed the latest version org-mode (M-x org-version shows 7.7). I was hoping to get org-contacts with it, too, but when putting (require 'org-contacs) in .emacs, I obtain:
>
> Warning (initialization): An error occurred while loading `/Users/mhofert/.emacs':
>
> File error: Cannot open load file, org-contacts
>
> To ensure normal operation, you should investigate and remove the
> cause of the error in your initialization file.  Start Emacs with
> the `--debug-init' option to view a complete error backtrace.
>
> Org-contacts is one of the contributions and can be found in org-7.7/contrib.
> How can I install this org-mode contribution (on Mac OS X 10.7.2 with GNU Emacs 23.3 (9.0))?
>
> I installed the latest org-mode version by setting (in ./Makefile):
>
>  EMACS=/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS//emacs
>  lispdir=/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/
>  infodir=/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/info
>
> I checked the contribution README, but that didn't tell  me how to install org-mode ocntributions.
>

> Cheers,
>
> Marius

Marius,

Do you do what the fine manual suggests?:

If you plan to use code from the contrib subdirectory, do a similar
step for this directory:

     (setq load-path (cons "~/path/to/orgdir/contrib/lisp" load-path))

http://orgmode.org/manual/Installation.html#Installation

Best,

Brian vdB

* Re: How to install contributions to org-mode such as org-contacts?
@ 2011-10-28 12:58   ` Marius Hofert
From: Marius Hofert @ 2011-10-28 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian van den Broek; +Cc: Emacs help

Dear Brian,

thanks a lot. It's working now.

I followed the instructions, but (erroneously) thought that the copying to some folder and using load-path is not required.

Cheers,

Marius