* bug? org does not seem to sort by prioritiy #A,#B,#C,#D
@ 2010-10-21  7:01 Rainer Stengele
From: Rainer Stengele @ 2010-10-21  7:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

maybe this is a bug: (Org-mode version 7.01trans (release_7.01h.605.gc540)

Having set

Org Enable Priority Commands: Hide Value Toggle  on (non-nil)
   State: STANDARD.
   Non-nil means priority commands are active. Hide Rest
   When nil, these commands will be disabled, so that you never accidentally
   set a priority.

Org Highest Priority: Hide Value A
   State: STANDARD.
   The highest priority of TODO items.  A character like ?A, ?B etc. More

Org Lowest Priority: Hide Value D
   State: SAVED and set.
   The lowest priority of TODO items.  A character like ?A, ?B etc. More

Org Default Priority: Hide Value D
   State: SAVED and set.
   The default priority of TODO items. More

resulting correctly in

(custom-set-variables
 '(org-highest-priority 65)
 '(org-default-priority 68)
 '(org-lowest-priority 68)

the custom agenda command

	("Tp" "all todos sorted by prio"
	 (
	  (alltodo "all todos" ))
	 ((org-agenda-sorting-strategy '(priority-down))))

will sort correctly by priorities #A, #B, #C, descending,
but will then mix up the rest of the todos with "#D" or without priority.
"#D" does not seem to be included in the sorting.

Is this a config error?

Thanks,
Rainer

* Re: bug? org does not seem to sort by prioritiy #A, #B, #C, #D
@ 2010-10-21  7:07 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-10-21  7:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer Stengele; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Oct 21, 2010, at 9:01 AM, Rainer Stengele wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> maybe this is a bug: (Org-mode version 7.01trans (release_7.01h.
> 605.gc540)
>
> Having set
>
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =
> Org Enable Priority Commands: Hide Value Toggle  on (non-nil)
>   State: STANDARD.
>   Non-nil means priority commands are active. Hide Rest
>   When nil, these commands will be disabled, so that you never
> accidentally
>   set a priority.
>
> Org Highest Priority: Hide Value A
>   State: STANDARD.
>   The highest priority of TODO items.  A character like ?A, ?B etc.
> More
>
> Org Lowest Priority: Hide Value D
>   State: SAVED and set.
>   The lowest priority of TODO items.  A character like ?A, ?B etc.
> More
>
> Org Default Priority: Hide Value D
>   State: SAVED and set.
>   The default priority of TODO items. More
>
> resulting correctly in
>
> (custom-set-variables
> '(org-highest-priority 65)
> '(org-default-priority 68)
> '(org-lowest-priority 68)
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =
>
> the custom agenda command
>
> 	("Tp" "all todos sorted by prio"
> 	 (
> 	  (alltodo "all todos" ))
> 	 ((org-agenda-sorting-strategy '(priority-down))))
>
> will sort correctly by priorities #A, #B, #C, descending,
> but will then mix up the rest of the todos with "#D" or without
> priority.
> "#D" does not seem to be included in the sorting.

The meaning of the default priority is that tasks without a priority
do have
the default priority.  If you need 4 priorities all higher than
"normal tasks",
make E your lowest and default priority

- Carsten

* Re: bug? org does not seem to sort by prioritiy #A, #B, #C, #D
@ 2010-10-21  7:12   ` Rainer Stengele
From: Rainer Stengele @ 2010-10-21  7:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Am 21.10.2010 09:07, schrieb Carsten Dominik:

> On Oct 21, 2010, at 9:01 AM, Rainer Stengele wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> maybe this is a bug: (Org-mode version 7.01trans (release_7.01h.605.gc540)
>>
>> Having set

>> Org Enable Priority Commands: Hide Value Toggle  on (non-nil)
>>   State: STANDARD.
>>   Non-nil means priority commands are active. Hide Rest
>>   When nil, these commands will be disabled, so that you never accidentally
>>   set a priority.
>>
>> Org Highest Priority: Hide Value A
>>   State: STANDARD.
>>   The highest priority of TODO items.  A character like ?A, ?B etc. More
>>
>> Org Lowest Priority: Hide Value D
>>   State: SAVED and set.
>>   The lowest priority of TODO items.  A character like ?A, ?B etc. More
>>
>> Org Default Priority: Hide Value D
>>   State: SAVED and set.
>>   The default priority of TODO items. More
>>
>> resulting correctly in
>>
>> (custom-set-variables
>> '(org-highest-priority 65)
>> '(org-default-priority 68)
>> '(org-lowest-priority 68)
>>
>> the custom agenda command
>>
>>     ("Tp" "all todos sorted by prio"
>>      (
>>       (alltodo "all todos" ))
>>      ((org-agenda-sorting-strategy '(priority-down))))
>>
>> will sort correctly by priorities #A, #B, #C, descending,
>> but will then mix up the rest of the todos with "#D" or without priority.
>> "#D" does not seem to be included in the sorting.
>
> The meaning of the default priority is that tasks without a priority do have
> the default priority.  If you need 4 priorities all higher than "normal tasks",
> make E your lowest and default priority
>
> - Carsten

Yes, works now. A bit counterintuitive, isn't it?

@ 2010-10-21  7:21     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-10-21  7:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer Stengele; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Oct 21, 2010, at 9:12 AM, Rainer Stengele wrote:

> Am 21.10.2010 09:07, schrieb Carsten Dominik:
>>
>> On Oct 21, 2010, at 9:01 AM, Rainer Stengele wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> maybe this is a bug: (Org-mode version 7.01trans (release_7.01h.
>>> 605.gc540)
>>>
>>> Having set
>>>
>>> =
>>> =
>>> =
>>> =
>>> =
>>> =
>>> =
>>> =
>>> =
>>> =
>>> ====================================================================
>>> Org Enable Priority Commands: Hide Value Toggle  on (non-nil)
>>>  State: STANDARD.
>>>  Non-nil means priority commands are active. Hide Rest
>>>  When nil, these commands will be disabled, so that you never
>>> accidentally
>>>  set a priority.
>>>
>>> Org Highest Priority: Hide Value A
>>>  State: STANDARD.
>>>  The highest priority of TODO items.  A character like ?A, ?B etc.
>>> More
>>>
>>> Org Lowest Priority: Hide Value D
>>>  State: SAVED and set.
>>>  The lowest priority of TODO items.  A character like ?A, ?B etc.
>>> More
>>>
>>> Org Default Priority: Hide Value D
>>>  State: SAVED and set.
>>>  The default priority of TODO items. More
>>>
>>> resulting correctly in
>>>
>>> (custom-set-variables
>>> '(org-highest-priority 65)
>>> '(org-default-priority 68)
>>> '(org-lowest-priority 68)
>>> =
>>> =
>>> =
>>> =
>>> =
>>> =
>>> =
>>> =
>>> =
>>> =
>>> ====================================================================
>>>
>>> the custom agenda command
>>>
>>>    ("Tp" "all todos sorted by prio"
>>>     (
>>>      (alltodo "all todos" ))
>>>     ((org-agenda-sorting-strategy '(priority-down))))
>>>
>>> will sort correctly by priorities #A, #B, #C, descending,
>>> but will then mix up the rest of the todos with "#D" or without
>>> priority.
>>> "#D" does not seem to be included in the sorting.
>>
>> The meaning of the default priority is that tasks without a
>> priority do have
>> the default priority.  If you need 4 priorities all higher than
>> "normal tasks",
>> make E your lowest and default priority
>>
>> - Carsten
>>
> Yes, works now. A bit counterintuitive, isn't it?

What would be the "intuitive" meaning of default priority then?

- Carsten

* Re: bug? org does not seem to sort by prioritiy #A, #B, #C, #D
@ 2010-10-21  7:30       ` Rainer Stengele
From: Rainer Stengele @ 2010-10-21  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Am 21.10.2010 09:21, schrieb Carsten Dominik:

> On Oct 21, 2010, at 9:12 AM, Rainer Stengele wrote:

>>> The meaning of the default priority is that tasks without a priority do have
>>> the default priority.  If you need 4 priorities all higher than "normal tasks",
>>> make E your lowest and default priority
>>>
>>> - Carsten
>>>
>> Yes, works now. A bit counterintuitive, isn't it?
>
> What would be the "intuitive" meaning of default priority then?
>
> - Carsten
Well, I would have expected that if I define a priority #D as lowest priority it is not excluded from sorting.
The meaning of the default priority is ok und understandable!

@ 2010-10-21  7:39         ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-10-21  7:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer Stengele; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Oct 21, 2010, at 9:30 AM, Rainer Stengele wrote:

> Am 21.10.2010 09:21, schrieb Carsten Dominik:

>>> Yes, works now. A bit counterintuitive, isn't it?
>>
>> What would be the "intuitive" meaning of default priority then?
>>
>> - Carsten
> Well, I would have expected that if I define a priority #D as lowest
> priority it is not excluded from sorting.

It *is* included in the sorting. All #D's come after the #A's, #B's,
and #C's.  Only that "all #D's" includes all entries that have no
specified priority.  Within each main priority, the precise order of
the entries is determined by other factors well, like if it is a
deadline or an overdue scheduled item.....  That make the D's look
random and the other not - but the same is going on everywhere.

You can look at the computed priority (which is used for sorting) by
pressing (I think) "P" on every item.

Would you like to make a proposal for a paragraph in the manual to
clarify this?  Or are you proposing to change how this works?

- Carsten

* Re: bug? org does not seem to sort by prioritiy #A, #B, #C, #D
@ 2010-10-21  8:52           ` Rainer Stengele
From: Rainer Stengele @ 2010-10-21  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Am 21.10.2010 09:39, schrieb Carsten Dominik:

> On Oct 21, 2010, at 9:30 AM, Rainer Stengele wrote:

>>> What would be the "intuitive" meaning of default priority then?
>>>
>>> - Carsten
>> Well, I would have expected that if I define a priority #D as lowest priority it is not excluded from sorting.
>

> It *is* included in the sorting. All #D's come after the #A's, #B's, and #C's.  Only that "all #D's" includes all entries that have no specified priority.  Within each main priority, the precise order of the entries is determined by other
> factors well, like if it is a deadline or an overdue scheduled item.....  That make the D's look random and the other not - but the same is going on everywhere.
>
> You can look at the computed priority (which is used for sorting) by pressing (I think) "P" on every item.
>
> Would you like to make a proposal for a paragraph in the manual to clarify this?  Or are you proposing to change how this works?
>

> - Carsten

My guessing is that a naive user (like me ...) does expect any defined priority (like #D in this case) to have a higher priority than a "non" priority item.
If more users see it this way I would propose a change, if not I would suggest a short hint in the manual.

@ 2010-10-21  9:01             ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-10-21  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer Stengele; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Oct 21, 2010, at 10:52 AM, Rainer Stengele wrote:

> Am 21.10.2010 09:39, schrieb Carsten Dominik:

>>> Well, I would have expected that if I define a priority #D as
>>> lowest priority it is not excluded from sorting.
>>

>> It *is* included in the sorting. All #D's come after the #A's,
>> #B's, and #C's.  Only that "all #D's" includes all entries that
>> have no specified priority.  Within each main priority, the precise
>> order of the entries is determined by other
>> factors well, like if it is a deadline or an overdue scheduled
>> item.....  That make the D's look random and the other not - but
>> the same is going on everywhere.
>>
>> You can look at the computed priority (which is used for sorting)
>> by pressing (I think) "P" on every item.
>>
>> Would you like to make a proposal for a paragraph in the manual to
>> clarify this?  Or are you proposing to change how this works?
>>

>> - Carsten
>>
> My guessing is that a naive user (like me ...) does expect any
> defined priority (like #D in this case) to have a higher priority
> than a "non" priority item.

I see how that makes sense.  However, the other use case is this:

Use #A to make something higher priority.  Use #C to make it lower
than any normal stuff.  All the rest mingles in #B.

So your proposal makes the assumption that any priority means more
than no priority.

- Carsten

* Re: bug? org does not seem to sort by prioritiy #A, #B, #C, #D
@ 2010-10-21  9:38               ` Rainer Stengele
From: Rainer Stengele @ 2010-10-21  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Am 21.10.2010 11:01, schrieb Carsten Dominik:

> On Oct 21, 2010, at 10:52 AM, Rainer Stengele wrote:

>>> It *is* included in the sorting. All #D's come after the #A's, #B's, and #C's.  Only that "all #D's" includes all entries that have no specified priority.  Within each main priority, the precise order of the entries is determined by other
>>> factors well, like if it is a deadline or an overdue scheduled item.....  That make the D's look random and the other not - but the same is going on everywhere.
>>>
>>> You can look at the computed priority (which is used for sorting) by pressing (I think) "P" on every item.
>>>
>>> Would you like to make a proposal for a paragraph in the manual to clarify this?  Or are you proposing to change how this works?
>>>

>>> - Carsten
>>>
>> My guessing is that a naive user (like me ...) does expect any defined priority (like #D in this case) to have a higher priority than a "non" priority item.
>
> I see how that makes sense.  However, the other use case is this:
>
> Use #A to make something higher priority.  Use #C to make it lower than any normal stuff.  All the rest mingles in #B.
>
> So your proposal makes the assumption that any priority means more than no priority.
>
> - Carsten

I see what you mean.
Maybe some orgees could indicate which use case they think is preferred.

@ 2010-10-21 12:41               ` Greg Troxel
From: Greg Troxel @ 2010-10-21 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Rainer Stengele

> On Oct 21, 2010, at 10:52 AM, Rainer Stengele wrote:
>
>> My guessing is that a naive user (like me ...) does expect any
>> defined priority (like #D in this case) to have a higher priority
>> than a "non" priority item.
>
> I see how that makes sense.  However, the other use case is this:
>
> Use #A to make something higher priority.  Use #C to make it lower
> than any normal stuff.  All the rest mingles in #B.
>
> So your proposal makes the assumption that any priority means more
> than no priority.

The default aBc settings were easily understandable to me and I use A to
mark things high and C low and leave most things in the middle.

So maybe all that's needed is a "You might expect tasks with an explicit
priority to all be considered higher priority than tasks without an
explicit priority, but in fact unlabeled tasks inherit the default
priority."  Or maybe that's redundant.

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 194 bytes --]

* Re: bug? org does not seem to sort by prioritiy #A, #B, #C, #D
@ 2010-10-21 17:38                 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-10-21 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Troxel; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Rainer Stengele

On Oct 21, 2010, at 2:41 PM, Greg Troxel wrote:

> Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Oct 21, 2010, at 10:52 AM, Rainer Stengele wrote:
>>
>>> My guessing is that a naive user (like me ...) does expect any
>>> defined priority (like #D in this case) to have a higher priority
>>> than a "non" priority item.
>>
>> I see how that makes sense.  However, the other use case is this:
>>
>> Use #A to make something higher priority.  Use #C to make it lower
>> than any normal stuff.  All the rest mingles in #B.
>>
>> So your proposal makes the assumption that any priority means more
>> than no priority.
>
> The default aBc settings were easily understandable to me and I use
> A to
> mark things high and C low and leave most things in the middle.
>
> So maybe all that's needed is a "You might expect tasks with an
> explicit
> priority to all be considered higher priority than tasks without an
> explicit priority, but in fact unlabeled tasks inherit the default
> priority."  Or maybe that's redundant.

I just re-read the manual section.  As far as I can see, all necessary
information is there.

- Carsten

* Re: bug? org does not seem to sort by prioritiy #A, #B, #C, #D
@ 2010-10-21 18:07                 ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2010-10-21 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer Stengele; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Carsten Dominik

Perhaps it would help to eliminate the default priority for cycling,
because it is confusing to have both the default priority and blank
meaning the same thing.

For example, a B c would become a blank c when cycling.

Samuel

* Re: bug? org does not seem to sort by prioritiy #A, #B, #C, #D
@ 2010-10-21 20:26                   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-10-21 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Rainer Stengele

On Oct 21, 2010, at 8:07 PM, Samuel Wales wrote:

> Perhaps it would help to eliminate the default priority for cycling,
> because it is confusing to have both the default priority and blank
> meaning the same thing.

No, I don't think this is good - because sometimes it is nice
to have the #B explicitly there.

- Carsten