* Fix to property inheritance
@ 2012-12-16  6:24 Bill Wishon
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Bill Wishon @ 2012-12-16  6:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

This is my first major org-mode contribution, and I'm new to git, so if
there is something I haven't got quite right in terms of how to contribute
please advise.

org-entry-get with inherit set didn't work for sub-heading additions or
overrides to properties found in parent headings as of Org-mode version
7.9.2 (release_7.9.2-738-g442b2a-git @ org-loaddefs.el can not be found!).

An example test org-mode file is attached (modified from the
testing/examples directory and also updated in my git repository).

My public git repository info is: git clone git@bitbucket.org:
mrvwman/wishon-org-mode.git
branch name: fix-property-inheritance

I've submitted my request to assign@gnu.org, but have not yet received a
reply.

Best,
~>Bill

[-- Attachment #2: my-property-inheritance.org --]

#+property: var  foo=1
#+property: var+ bar=2

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
  (+ foo bar)
#+end_src

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
  (org-entry-get (point) "var" t)
#+end_src

* overwriting a file-wide property
  :PROPERTIES:
  :var:      foo=7
  :END:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
  foo
#+end_src

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
  (org-entry-get (point) "var" t)
#+end_src
* appending to a file-wide property
  :PROPERTIES:
  :var+:      baz=3
  :END:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
  (+ foo bar baz)
#+end_src

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
  (org-entry-get (point) "var" t)
#+end_src
* hierarchy test
:PROPERTIES:
:var+: boo=2.5
:END:
** appending to a parent property
  :PROPERTIES:
  :var+:      baz=3
  :END:

The result should be 8.5
with Org-mode version 7.9.2 the result is that boo is undefined.
#+begin_src emacs-lisp
  (+ foo bar boo baz)
#+end_src

The result should be "foo=1 bar=2 boo=2.5 baz=3"
with Org-mode version 7.9.2 the result is "foo=1 bar=2 baz=3"
#+begin_src emacs-lisp
  (org-entry-get (point) "var" t)
#+end_src

** resetting a parent property
  :PROPERTIES:
  :var+:       nil
  :END:
The result should be "nil"
with Org-mode version 7.9.2 the result is an error
#+begin_src emacs-lisp
  (org-entry-get (point) "var" t t)
#+end_src

*** setting a new property value
:PROPERTIES:
:var+: bat=4
:END:
The result should be "bat=4"
with Org-mode version 7.9.2 the result is "foo=1 bar=2 bat=4"
#+begin_src emacs-lisp
  (org-entry-get (point) "var" t)
#+end_src

* Re: Fix to property inheritance
@ 2012-12-24  0:45 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-12-24  0:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Wishon; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Bill,

Bill Wishon <bill@wishon.org> writes:

> This is my first major org-mode contribution, and I'm new to git, so
> if there is something I haven't got quite right in terms of how to
> contribute please advise.

Thanks for contributing.

> org-entry-get with inherit set didn't work for sub-heading additions
> or overrides to properties found in parent headings as of Org-mode
> version 7.9.2 (release_7.9.2-738-g442b2a-git @ org-loaddefs.el can
> not be found!).
>
> An example test org-mode file is attached (modified from the testing/
> examples directory and also updated in my git repository).

Yes, I see the problem.

> My public git repository info is: git clone git@bitbucket.org:mrvwman
> /wishon-org-mode.git
> branch name: fix-property-inheritance

Unless this is a big serie of patches (e.g. >5) can you send the
patch to the mailing list?  We use a patchwork instance to store
patches and be able to review them later.  Make sure to read
this :

  http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contribute.html#sec-4

> I've submitted my request to assign@gnu.org, but have not yet
> received a reply.

I've added you to Worg:
http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contribute.html#sec-6-2

Thanks in advance for the patch!

--
 Bastien

* Re: Fix to property inheritance
@ 2012-12-25  3:28 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-12-25  3:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Wishon; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Bill,

Bill Wishon <bill@wishon.org> writes:

> My public git repository info is: git clone git@bitbucket.org:mrvwman
> /wishon-org-mode.git
> branch name: fix-property-inheritance

I could not clone this repository, apparently I don't have enough
rights.  Can you send a patch?

 Bastien

* Re: Fix to property inheritance
@ 2012-12-26  1:00   ` Bill Wishon
From: Bill Wishon @ 2012-12-26  1:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

While I'm figuring out how to create the patch and email it in the right
format (I don't think I can with gmail), I've tried to make my
bitbucket.orgrepository as public as possible.  Perhaps give it
another shot in the
meantime.

https://bitbucket.org/mrvwman/wishon-org-mode.git

~>Bill

@ 2012-12-30 10:39     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-12-30 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Wishon; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Bill,

Bill Wishon <bill@wishon.org> writes:

> While I'm figuring out how to create the patch and email it in the
> right format (I don't think I can with gmail), I've tried to make my
> bitbucket.org repository as public as possible.  Perhaps give it
> another shot in the meantime.
>
> https://bitbucket.org/mrvwman/wishon-org-mode.git

I confirm I can pull the repo correctly, thanks.

--
 Bastien

* Re: Fix to property inheritance
@ 2013-01-07 17:35 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-01-07 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Wishon, schulte eric; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Bill,

sorry for the late (and probably disappointing) reply.

Bill Wishon <bill@wishon.org> writes:

> This is my first major org-mode contribution, and I'm new to git, so
> if there is something I haven't got quite right in terms of how to
> contribute please advise.
>
> org-entry-get with inherit set didn't work for sub-heading additions
> or overrides to properties found in parent headings as of Org-mode
> version 7.9.2 (release_7.9.2-738-g442b2a-git @ org-loaddefs.el can
> not be found!).
>
> An example test org-mode file is attached (modified from the testing/
> examples directory and also updated in my git repository).

Thanks for providing such a file with tests and examples.

As far as I understand, problems are for cumulative properties,
right?

Eric, do you have time to check Bill's tests and see what's
wrong with cumulative properties and inheritance?  I'm not familiar
enough with this part of the code to *enjoy* fixing this :)

As for the patch themselves...

1) I did not receive confirmation from the FSF copyright clerk that
   your assignment is processed -- let me know if it is;

2) Please shrink commit messages and code lines to < 75 characters
   when possible.  See org.el: we avoid long lines.  This is not only
   for code readability, but also - and importantly here - for patch
   readability...

If I overlooked a bug about something else than cumulative props,
please let me know and let's have a separate fix for it.

Thanks!

--
 Bastien

* Re: Fix to property inheritance
@ 2013-01-07 19:57   ` Bill Wishon
From: Bill Wishon @ 2013-01-07 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, schulte eric

Hi Bastien,

I'll edit the code and commit messages so they're < 75 chars.

I'll check in again to see where the FSF process is at.

And yes this is about property inheritance with accumulation.

~>Bill

@ 2013-01-07 20:10     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-01-07 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Wishon; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, schulte eric

Hi Bill,

Bill Wishon <bill@wishon.org> writes:

> I'll edit the code and commit messages so they're < 75 chars.
>
> I'll check in again to see where the FSF process is at.
>
> And yes this is about property inheritance with accumulation.

Great, *thanks*!

--
 Bastien