Aloha all, First, org-mode is really useful. The more I use it, the more useful it gets and the more I appreciate its flexibility. I've been using it for several months but still feel like a newbie. Perhaps the problem I'm having stems from this. I use the checkbox feature a lot, with good effect, like this: *** Task 1 [/] - [ ] Step 1 - [ ] Step 2 - [ ] Step 3 Recently, I received via email comments from 4 reviewers on a paper I'd submitted for publication. The editor asked me to keep track of how I'd responded to all of the comments, so I tried this: *** Reviewer 1 [/] - [ ] Comment 1 - [ ] Comment 2 etc. I cut the comments out of the email message and pasted them directly into the org file in Aquamacs Emacs. Some of the comments are quite lengthy, others are short. My problem is that midway down a list of comments org-mode ceases to recognize that the comment checkboxes are associated with the heading. In each case, the last comment checkbox that is correctly associated with the heading formats differently (with Esc-Q) than the comments above it. The comment checkboxes that are associated correctly format as indented blocks with the second and subsequent lines of text left justified on the "[" of the first line. The last associated checkbox justifies the second and subsequent lines two characters left of the "-" of the first line. Subsequent, unassociated checkboxes align the "-" of the first line with last line of the item above it. Here is an example: *** Reviewer 3 [2/6] ... (Several items omitted) - [X] p. 7 In 1779, Kamehameha was a young man on his way up as a favored nephew of Kalaniopu`u, but isn't it a little early to refer to his dynasty? - [X] p. 7 It is true Kamehameha benefited greatly from Western advice and weapons, but the tradition of conquest was well established by the time he embarked on his career as a conqueror by chiefs including Kalaniopu`u, and especially Kahekili. - [X] p. 7 According to traditions 'Umi's father had been recognized as paramount of the island. `Umi regained his father's status by putting down a rebellion of the five districts other than Hamakua and reunited the polity. I think of this as a civil war rather than the capture of territory to which he had no previous claim. In this case the first two items are counted in the headline, but the last one isn't. If someone could point out what might be going wrong, I'll appreciate it. All the best, Tom Thomas S. Dye, Ph.D. T. S. Dye & Colleagues, Archaeologists, Inc. Phone: (808) 529-0866 Fax: (808) 529-0884 http://www.tsdye.com