From: "Thomas S. Dye" <tsd@tsdye.com>
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: checkbox problem
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 08:54:16 -1000	[thread overview]

Aloha all,

First, org-mode is really useful.  The more I use it, the more useful
it gets and the more I appreciate its flexibility.  I've been using it
for several months but still feel like a newbie.  Perhaps the problem
I'm having stems from this.

I use the checkbox feature a lot, with good effect, like this:

*** Task 1 [/]
	- [ ] Step 1
	- [ ] Step 2
	- [ ] Step 3

Recently, I received via email comments from 4 reviewers on a paper
I'd submitted for publication.  The editor asked me to keep track of
how I'd responded to all of the comments, so I tried this:

*** Reviewer 1 [/]
	- [ ] Comment 1
	- [ ] Comment 2
etc.

I cut the comments out of the email message and pasted them directly
into the org file in Aquamacs Emacs.  Some of the comments are quite
lengthy, others are short.

My problem is that midway down a list of comments org-mode ceases to
recognize that the comment checkboxes are associated with the
heading.  In each case, the last comment checkbox that is correctly
associated with the heading formats differently (with Esc-Q) than the
comments above it.  The comment checkboxes that are associated
correctly format as indented blocks with the second and subsequent
lines of text left justified on the "[" of the first line.  The last
associated checkbox justifies the second and subsequent lines two
characters left of the "-" of the first line.  Subsequent,
unassociated checkboxes align the "-" of the first line with last line
of the item above it.  Here is an example:

*** Reviewer 3 [2/6]

... (Several items omitted)

     - [X] p. 7 In 1779, Kamehameha was a young man on his way up as a
       favored nephew of Kalaniopu`u, but isn't it a little early to
       refer to his dynasty?
     - [X] p. 7 It is true Kamehameha benefited greatly from Western
   advice and weapons, but the tradition of conquest was well
   established by the time he embarked on his career as a conqueror by
   chiefs including Kalaniopu`u, and especially Kahekili.
   - [X] p. 7 According to traditions 'Umi's father had been recognized
     as paramount of the island.  `Umi regained his father's status by
     putting down a rebellion of the five districts other than Hamakua
     and reunited the polity.  I think of this as a civil war rather
     than the capture of territory to which he had no previous claim.

In this case the first two items are counted in the headline, but the
last one isn't.

If someone could point out what might be going wrong, I'll appreciate
it.

All the best,
Tom

Thomas S. Dye, Ph.D.
T. S. Dye & Colleagues, Archaeologists, Inc.
Phone: (808) 529-0866 Fax: (808) 529-0884
http://www.tsdye.com