* ascii export of url part of links possible?
@ 2009-02-24 20:18 Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2009-02-24 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I didn't find a way to have export as ASCII export the URL
of links.

With a link whose URL is google's and whose label is
"google main page", org exports:

  try [google main page].

I prefer this:

  try http://google.com (google main page).

Did I miss a variable?

Thanks.

--
Myalgic encephalomyelitis denialism is causing death (decades early;
Jason et al. 2006) and severe suffering, pain, and disability (worse

* Re: ascii export of url part of links possible?
@ 2009-02-25 12:51 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-02-25 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Feb 24, 2009, at 9:18 PM, Samuel Wales wrote:

> I didn't find a way to have export as ASCII export the URL
> of links.
>
> With a link whose URL is google's and whose label is
> "google main page", org exports:
>
>  try [google main page].
>
> I prefer this:
>
>  try http://google.com (google main page).

I agree, and this would be easy to to.  However, a problem is that
it would make lines potentially very long, as ASCII export does not
fill paragraphs.

I have been thinking that it might be better to force links into
footnotes for ascii export.....

What do you think?

- Carsten

* Re: ascii export of url part of links possible?
@ 2009-02-26  8:16   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2009-02-26  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 2009-02-25, Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> wrote:
> [...]
> I have been thinking that it might be better to force links into
> footnotes for ascii export.....
>
> What do you think?

I, for one, would find this very attractive.  And it's in line with
what some of the text based web browsers generate in ascii dumps of
web pages.

--
Eric S Fraga, UCL
BF >++++++++++[>++++++++++>+++++++++++[<]>-]>++.>++++.<-----.++++++.------.

* Re: Re: ascii export of url part of links possible?
@ 2009-02-26 15:53     ` Jason F. McBrayer
From: Jason F. McBrayer @ 2009-02-26 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> On 2009-02-25, Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> wrote:
>> [...]
>> I have been thinking that it might be better to force links into
>> footnotes for ascii export.....
>>
>> What do you think?
>
> I, for one, would find this very attractive.  And it's in line with
> what some of the text based web browsers generate in ascii dumps of
> web pages.

I think that's a good idea, as well.  It might even be particularly
nice to format the links and the footnotes in such a way that a
[Markdown][1] processor could understand them.

[1]: http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/

| Jason F. McBrayer                    jmcbray@carcosa.net  |
| If someone conquers a thousand times a thousand others in |
| battle, and someone else conquers himself, the latter one |
| is the greatest of all conquerors.  --- The Dhammapada    |

* Re: ascii export of url part of links possible?
@ 2009-02-26 18:08   ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2009-02-26 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 05:51, Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> wrote:
> I have been thinking that it might be better to force links into
> footnotes for ascii export.....
>
> What do you think?

Yes.  :)

When there is both label and url: "[label]" then url in footnote.

When there is only url: maybe just "url" to keep formatting nice.

--
Myalgic encephalomyelitis denialism is causing death (decades early;
Jason et al. 2006) and severe suffering, pain, and disability (worse
than nearly all other serious diseases studied; Schweitzer et al.
1995) and grossly corrupting science.  Anybody can get the disease at
any time.  http://www.meactionuk.org.uk/What_Is_ME_What_Is_CFS.htm

* Re: Re: ascii export of url part of links possible?
@ 2009-02-26 20:21       ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-02-26 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason F. McBrayer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Feb 26, 2009, at 4:53 PM, Jason F. McBrayer wrote:

> Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> writes:
>
>> On 2009-02-25, Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> wrote:
>>> [...]
>>> I have been thinking that it might be better to force links into
>>> footnotes for ascii export.....
>>>
>>> What do you think?
>>
>> I, for one, would find this very attractive.  And it's in line with
>> what some of the text based web browsers generate in ascii dumps of
>> web pages.
>
> I think that's a good idea, as well.  It might even be particularly
> nice to format the links and the footnotes in such a way that a
> [Markdown][1] processor could understand them.
>
> [1]: http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/

Hmmm, I see what you mean - but I don't think that is a realistic
use case.  If you have an org document, would you then want to go
through ASCII and then markdown for HTML instead of using the direct
route?

And I think that

    I get 10 times more traffic from [Google] than from
    [Yahoo] or [MSN].

is still easier to read than

    I get 10 times more traffic from [Google][] than from
    [Yahoo][] or [MSN][].

So I would need a convincing argument to make it exactly
markdown format.

- Carsten

* Re: ascii export of url part of links possible?
@ 2009-02-26 20:33     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-02-26 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

This is implemented now.

- Carsten

@ 2009-02-27 18:43         ` Jason F. McBrayer
From: Jason F. McBrayer @ 2009-02-27 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

> Hmmm, I see what you mean - but I don't think that is a realistic use
> case.  If you have an org document, would you then want to go through
> ASCII and then markdown for HTML instead of using the direct route?

It would be marginally useful for me.  I'm using blog software that
accepts article titles and bodies in Markdown format.  I used to just
write the Markdown, but these days I do most of my article drafting in
org-mode, and then export to html.  Since Markdown files can contain
arbitrary html, it's fine with the blog that I do that.  But now I have
my article files in HTML rather than Markdown, which makes them very
marginally more work to search, maintain, and so forth.  Of course, I
could just keep the org-mode source somewhere, or write a plugin to let
the blog handle basic org formatting...

> And I think that
>
>    I get 10 times more traffic from [Google] than from
>    [Yahoo] or [MSN].
>
> is still easier to read than
>
>    I get 10 times more traffic from [Google][] than from
>    [Yahoo][] or [MSN][].

Assuming:

> I get 10 times more traffic from [Google][1] than from
>    [Yahoo][2] or [MSN][3].

That's true; I hadn't realized that Emacs' footnote-mode handled that
style of footnote.  I was assuming numeric footnotes, at which point
there's no further cost to making it Markdown compatible.