Hi Bruce/John, Thanks for getting back to me. So I guess your notes file would look something like this? #+TITLE: Bradley, J. (1973): Essential Mathematics For Economists * Dynamic models: the consumption function [[cite:bradley1973es][p164]] * Changes in Capital Stock [[cite:bradley1973es][p188]] * The Accelerator-Multiplier Model [[cite:bradley1973es][p200]] So when when it comes time to author your paper, if you run org-store-link on any of these, the description gets stripped off the link, so that only cite:bradley1973es is stored (which obviously defeats the purpose). And if you copy the link over by hand, it maps back to the document bradley197es.org (not the actual note). Am I missing anything? Adam > On 21 Feb 2021, at 12:21, Bruce D'Arcus wrote: > > On Sat, Feb 20, 2021 at 10:31 PM Adam Sneller wrote: > >> I currently use org-ref and helm-bibtex to manage my database of academic sources, with one notes file per source. A lot of my sources are books. So note typically grow over time, as I add multiple headers (each pertaining to a chapter or topic/note taken from that source). >> >> But now I want to produce a citation that references the page numbers where I captured that note... >> >> What is the recommended way to handle this? Are you breaking notes into individual files, each with their own @inbook citation? > > Generally speaking, referencing page numbers and sections of a cited > source is not handled by dedicated citations, but rather by > annotations on the containing citation (book etc.). > > So in the pandoc syntax, for example, [@book, p23]. > > I do the same with notes, and just included the specific citation with > the note if I need to maintain the specific source page. > > Bruce >