From: Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl>
To: Samuel Wales <samologist@gmail.com>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: outline-agenda sorting consistency
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2009 12:53:45 +0100	[thread overview]

On Mar 3, 2009, at 5:09 AM, Samuel Wales wrote:

> Hi Carsten,
>
> On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 12:22, Carsten Dominik
> <dominik@science.uva.nl> wrote:
>>> 1) priority faces are settable in the agenda.  perhaps
>>>  they could be so in the outline also.
>>
>> This seems more confusing than useful to me.  In the agenda,
>> all the tasks are together, so it does make some sense to
>> change fonts.  In the outline, I would find it confusing.
>> Are there any other opinions on this?
>
> I'll try to provide more detail for at least my case.
>
> I would not set the face for the whole headline, just the
> priority tag itself.  I actually find the agenda faces,
> which often set the entire headline, to be confusing.[1]
>
> I would not propose to change the default.
>
> For me [#C] and [#A] look alike and it is hard to
> distinguish them based on the single letter.  I basically
> stopped using C because I kept (mis)perceiving it as
> important.  (I don't use B because it is the same as blank.)

> What I would do is set C to show in something like (but not
> the same as) the done todo kw face, and A to show in
> something like the todo face.  This tells me to pay
> attention less and more, respectively.  Others would
> semioticize (so to speak) differently.

Hi Samuel,

you can now et faces for each priority, using the variable
org-priority-faces, in a way similar to the todo-keyword faces,
and the tag faces.  Just note that the car in this alist must be
a character, not a string.

>>> 2) sorting strategy is settable in the agenda.  perhaps it
>>>  could be settable in the outline also.  they could
>>>  share code.
>>
>> To be honest, I never sort the outline, except in rare cases.
>> I would be interested how people use this to get a better case
>> for changing this.
>
> I would use it to keep high urgency and -priority tasks at
> the top and done tasks at the bottom.
>
> Also, I sometimes have a large list of disorganized tasks.
> The tasks need todo state specification, tagging, priority
> setting, refiling, turning into a plain list, etc.; and
> sorting seems the best way to focus the organizing.  I can
> only do a little at a time, and can't predict when I can do
> it, so having it sorted allows me to immediately see gaps.
> Like "this is too urgent to be among the non-urgent tasks".
> Then I can return to it later without having to
> refamiliarize myself with the whole list.
>
> I can more easily isolate the high priority and high urgency
> stuff that isn't done, then organize only that.  After
> dealing with metadata, I can make the hierarchy deeper by
> ontology.
>

> Having it work like org-agenda-sorting-strategy would allow
> the same sorting in both places.
>
> Here is how I might do it, were the facility to exist:
>
>  - done-ish and unimportant stuff at the bottom, important
>    stuff at the top, and uncategorized nodes (i.e. blank
>    todo state, no priority, no urgency) in the middle.
>  - alphabetical order for nodes with the same weight
>  - to calculate the weight of a node:
>    1) priority a is worth +1000
>    2) urgent tag gets +1000
>    3) now tag gets +500
>    4) todo-ish states (todo, next) get +100
>    5) /blank todo state/ gets 0
>    6) zombie states (wait etc.) get -100
>    7) someday tag gets -500
>    8) priority c gets -1000
>    9) done-ish states (done, moot) get -3000
>  - example: an urgent todo would have a weight of 1100.
>    when it is marked done, it would have a weight of -2000.

Outline sorting can be done using a user-defined function,
so in principle this should be possible.....  It is on my list,
but not with high priority....

> This is especially useful for long confusing lists.
>
>> One of the basic principles in Org is that in the notes files,
>> tasks are in context.  In the agenda, things are re-arranged
>> and sorted.  That is why there is a complex sorting strategy
>> in the agenda, but not in the outline.
>
> The agenda is wonderful for other stuff, but for me it is
> not an editing mode per se.  I have never been able to use
> the agenda for full control over the org file, as some
> people are able to do.  For me (at least on my computer) it
> is slow.

What is "slow".  Maybe we can improve things?

> Arbitrary editing is not possible.  The keys that
> work are often different from the ones I use in the outline.
> If I define a key in the outline, I have to figure out how
> to define it in the agenda (haven't yet).

(add-hook 'org-agenda-mode-hook
   (lambda ()
     (define-key org-agenda-mode-map "key" 'command)))

- Carsten