From: Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com>
To: Paul R <paul.r.ml@gmail.com>
Cc: Org-mode Org-Mode <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Re: Languages again
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 21:44:31 +0100	[thread overview]

On Nov 10, 2008, at 12:28 PM, Paul R wrote:

> Carsten> Dear foreign friends, Since the coding system issues in Emacs
> Carsten> drive me mad, I have decided to switch to HTML entities for
> Carsten> writing foreign characters in the few special words we need.
>
> French is ok, thank you Carsten.
>
> Could you be more specific on the coding system issues you face with
> emacs ? It might be worth a bug report, since emacs even in it stable
> version, should not cause trouble with internationalization to a
> skilled
> developper.

Hi Paul,

the problem is this:

The different words I am using for different languages are defined in
an Emacs lisp file.  That file has a certain coding system, and since
I want to be compatible with older versions of Emacs, I do not want
this file in a modern utf-8 encoding, but simply in plain ASCII.

Now, when I publish HTML files, I need to insert into these files
something that is compatible with the coding system of that HTML
file.  All the possible combinations here drive me crazy and I find
this boring, so that is why I am settling for HTML entities.  Path of
lowest resistance.

If the whole world was using Emacs 23, this probably would not be an
issue, but another decade at least will pass until we are there.

- Carsten