* Feature request: inherited priorities
@ 2009-04-29 14:40 Peter Westlake
From: Peter Westlake @ 2009-04-29 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I would like to suggest that priorities should be inherited. After all,
if a task is high priority, then doing the individual parts of it must
be too.

There are 250 items in my agenda TODO list at the moment, and that's
with dependencies on, ordered subtasks, and missing all the less
important stuff out altogether. I rarely look beyond the first dozen or
so lines. With priorities not being inherited, adding a subtask to an
important job can cause it to plunge hundreds of lines down the list and
be overlooked. I have to add priorities to everything by hand.

Hope this is a reasonable idea,

Peter.

* Re: Feature request: inherited priorities
@ 2009-04-29 15:34 ` Matthew Lundin
From: Matthew Lundin @ 2009-04-29 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Westlake; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

"Peter Westlake" <peter.westlake@pobox.com> writes:

> I would like to suggest that priorities should be inherited. After all,
> if a task is high priority, then doing the individual parts of it must
> be too.
>
> There are 250 items in my agenda TODO list at the moment, and that's
> with dependencies on, ordered subtasks, and missing all the less
> important stuff out altogether. I rarely look beyond the first dozen or
> so lines. With priorities not being inherited, adding a subtask to an
> important job can cause it to plunge hundreds of lines down the list and
> be overlooked. I have to add priorities to everything by hand.

Have you checked out the variable org-use-property-inheritance?

Also see this section of the manual:

http://orgmode.org/manual/Property-inheritance.html#Property-inheritance

- Matt

* Re: Feature request: inherited priorities
@ 2009-04-29 16:10   ` Peter Westlake
From: Peter Westlake @ 2009-04-29 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Lundin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 10:34:37 -0500, "Matthew Lundin"
<mdl@imapmail.org> said:
> "Peter Westlake" <peter.westlake@pobox.com> writes:
>
> > I would like to suggest that priorities should be inherited. After
> > all, if a task is high priority, then doing the individual parts of
> > it must be too.

> Have you checked out the variable org-use-property-inheritance?
>
> Also see this section of the manual:
>
> http://orgmode.org/manual/Property-inheritance.html#Property-inheritance

Matt,

Thanks for the suggestion, but priority isn't defined by a property in
the usual way, so this doesn't work.

Regards,

@ 2009-04-29 18:13     ` Matthew Lundin
From: Matthew Lundin @ 2009-04-29 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Westlake; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

"Peter Westlake" <peter.westlake@pobox.com> writes:

> On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 10:34:37 -0500, "Matthew Lundin"
> <mdl@imapmail.org> said:
>> "Peter Westlake" <peter.westlake@pobox.com> writes:
>>
>> > I would like to suggest that priorities should be inherited. After
>> > all, if a task is high priority, then doing the individual parts of
>> > it must be too.

>> Have you checked out the variable org-use-property-inheritance?
>>
>> Also see this section of the manual:
>>
>> http://orgmode.org/manual/Property-inheritance.html#Property-inheritance
>
> Matt,
>
> Thanks for the suggestion, but priority isn't defined by a property in
> the usual way, so this doesn't work.

Oops, sorry. I read "priorities" in your email as properties.

If the only issue is tag searches, the following works for me - i.e.,
subtrees inherit PRIORITY:

(setq org-use-property-inheritance '("PRIORITY"))

I haven't tested to see what happens with sorting - my guess is that
this only applies to searches.

Regards,
Matt

* Re: Feature request: inherited priorities
@ 2009-05-03 16:14 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-05-03 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Westlake; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Peter, Matt,

priorities cannot be inherited.

- Carsten

@ 2009-05-05 13:12   ` Peter Westlake
From: Peter Westlake @ 2009-05-05 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sun, 3 May 2009 18:14:38 +0200, "Carsten Dominik"
<carsten.dominik@gmail.com> said:
> Hi Peter, Matt,
>
> priorities cannot be inherited.

Fair enough!

In that case, would it be possible to take the default priority for a
new task from the parent task?

Peter.

@ 2009-05-05 13:22     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-05-05 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Westlake; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On May 5, 2009, at 3:12 PM, Peter Westlake wrote:

> On Sun, 3 May 2009 18:14:38 +0200, "Carsten Dominik"
> <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> said:
>> Hi Peter, Matt,
>>
>> priorities cannot be inherited.
>
> Fair enough!
>
> In that case, would it be possible to take the default priority for a
> new task from the parent task?

I think that any kind of priority inheritance would be defeating
the purpose of priorities, by inflation.

I think what you are trying to do is to assign a whole project
subtree high importance, and I would suggest to use tags for
this purpose, which also support inheritance, and which allow
very flexible filtering.

HTH

- Carsten

@ 2009-05-07 15:20       ` Peter Westlake
From: Peter Westlake @ 2009-05-07 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, 5 May 2009 15:22:04 +0200, "Carsten Dominik"
<carsten.dominik@gmail.com> said:
> I think that any kind of priority inheritance would be defeating the
> purpose of priorities, by inflation.
>
> I think what you are trying to do is to assign a whole project subtree
> high importance, and I would suggest to use tags for this purpose,
> which also support inheritance, and which allow very flexible
> filtering.

That is what I'm trying to do, yes. And since there are so many
things like tags and categories that are inherited, and allow
sorting, it's reasonable for there to be something else that
isn't inherited. I'll have a look at the agenda commands.

Thank you,

Peter.