Hello, I found this recent thread researching why my strategy for staying abreast with org head had started failing with invalid-function "org-assert-version" My strategy had been to build org initially with ` cd ~/.emacs.d && git clone https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/emacs/org-mode.git && cd org-mode && make autoloads && make` and ensure this clone of org was picked up in my "~/.emacs.d/org-mode/lisp by including the following in my .init.el very early (right after bootstrapping the package system and use-package): (use-package :pin manual :load-path "~/.emacs.d/org-mode/lisp" ) Then, when I occasionally wished to update org, I would `cd ~/.emacs.d/org-mode && git pull && make autoloads && make` Recently I started getting errors invalid-function "org-assert-version". Upon cursory reading of this thread I guessed that I could fix them by adding a `make clean` to my update mantra. It worked. Am I advised to do otherwise? Is there a best/better practice? Thanks, ~Malcolm