* Is is possible to summarize contents of a task in the agenda headings?
@ 2019-04-21 17:55 joakim
From: joakim @ 2019-04-21 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Say I have a bunch of tasks like this:

* TODO task with many subtasks
** TODO subtask 1
** TODO subtask 2
* TODO another task with many subtasks
** TODO another subtask 1
** TODO another subtask 2

And so on.

Now, in the agenda, I would like some kind of summarizing, perhaps like:

* TODO task with many subtasks, subtask 1, subtask 2
* TODO another task with many subtasks, another subtask 1, another subtask 2

Is this possible?

The reason is that I have many "tasks with many subtasks", so I have
used the setting to hide them in the Agenda. Still, I would like to know
something about the contents of such grouping tasks in the agenda, if
possible.

--
Joakim Verona
joakim@verona.se

* Re: Is is possible to summarize contents of a task in the agenda headings?
@ 2019-04-22  6:20 ` David Masterson
From: David Masterson @ 2019-04-22  6:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: joakim@verona.se; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

<joakim@verona.se> writes:

> Say I have a bunch of tasks like this:
>
> * TODO task with many subtasks
> ** TODO subtask 1
> ** TODO subtask 2
> * TODO another task with many subtasks
> ** TODO another subtask 1
> ** TODO another subtask 2
>
> And so on.
>
> Now, in the agenda, I would like some kind of summarizing, perhaps like:
>
> * TODO task with many subtasks, subtask 1, subtask 2
> * TODO another task with many subtasks, another subtask 1, another subtask 2
>
> Is this possible?
>
> The reason is that I have many "tasks with many subtasks", so I have
> used the setting to hide them in the Agenda. Still, I would like to know
> something about the contents of such grouping tasks in the agenda, if
> possible.

Maybe you want the 'org-agenda-todo-list-sublevels' variable?

Another more complicated option that I've just begun looking at is the
:agenda-group capability in the org-super-agenda package on MELPA.  The
documentation is interesting on the website, but I haven't quite figured
out the trick to make it work for me.  You can find it here:

https://github.com/alphapapa/org-super-agenda

--
David Masterson

* Re: Is is possible to summarize contents of a task in the agenda headings?
@ 2019-04-23 19:35   ` joakim
From: joakim @ 2019-04-23 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Masterson; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

David Masterson <dsmasterson@outlook.com> writes:

> <joakim@verona.se> writes:
>
>> Say I have a bunch of tasks like this:
>>
>> * TODO task with many subtasks
>> ** TODO subtask 1
>> ** TODO subtask 2
>> * TODO another task with many subtasks
>> ** TODO another subtask 1
>> ** TODO another subtask 2
>>
>> And so on.
>>
>> Now, in the agenda, I would like some kind of summarizing, perhaps like:
>>
>> * TODO task with many subtasks, subtask 1, subtask 2
>> * TODO another task with many subtasks, another subtask 1, another subtask 2
>>
>> Is this possible?
>>
>> The reason is that I have many "tasks with many subtasks", so I have
>> used the setting to hide them in the Agenda. Still, I would like to know
>> something about the contents of such grouping tasks in the agenda, if
>> possible.
>
> Maybe you want the 'org-agenda-todo-list-sublevels' variable?
>
> Another more complicated option that I've just begun looking at is the
> :agenda-group capability in the org-super-agenda package on MELPA.  The
> documentation is interesting on the website, but I haven't quite figured
> out the trick to make it work for me.  You can find it here:
>
> https://github.com/alphapapa/org-super-agenda

Thanks, I'm already using (setq org-agenda-todo-list-sublevels nil) and
org-super-agenda. Both reduce clutter which is good. OTOH I now lack
information about subtasks that has been removed from the agenda
view. It is this concern i would like to address.

--

@ 2019-04-26  3:39     ` David Masterson
From: David Masterson @ 2019-04-26  3:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: joakim@verona.se; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

<joakim@verona.se> writes:

> Thanks, I'm already using (setq org-agenda-todo-list-sublevels nil) and
> org-super-agenda. Both reduce clutter which is good. OTOH I now lack
> information about subtasks that has been removed from the agenda
> view. It is this concern i would like to address.

A bit of work, but, if you set a property name of (say) PARENT on each
parent project and gave it the value of that parent project name, each
child of the parent would pick up the property and then should show up
in an :auto-property group under org-super-agenda-mode (I think).  That
might get a bit cluttered, though, if you're doing a deep hierarchy of
projects.

--
David

* Re: Is is possible to summarize contents of a task in the agenda headings?
@ 2019-05-06  8:09       ` joakim
From: joakim @ 2019-05-06  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Masterson; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hello,

I made some progress. I can generate agendas where each todo shows how
many sub-tasks it has:

 Emacs ideas
  <  3> Emacs:              TODO [#0] show context of subtasks in agenda
  <  1> Emacs:              TODO [#0] fixate gnus structure
  <  1> Emacs:              TODO [#2] kungsgetens org-brain
  < 11> Emacs:              TODO [#3] emslaved (make initial repo)

The number inside the initial brackets < num > indicate number of open subtasks.

I'm also using org-super-agenda here.

This is the code, a little bit messy still.

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp :tangle yes

  (defun jv-todoinfo()
    (let
        ((numchilds 0))

      (save-mark-and-excursion
        (org-narrow-to-subtree)
        (setq numchilds (length
                         (--filter (eq 'todo it)
                                   (progn
                                     (let ((parsetree (org-element-parse-buffer 'headline)))
                                       (org-element-map parsetree 'headline
                                         (lambda (hl) (org-element-property :todo-type hl))))))))
        ;;im not sure why the widen is needed, but otherwise agenda generating breaks
        (widen))
      numchilds))

  (setq org-agenda-prefix-format
        '((agenda . " %i %-20:c%?-12t% s")
          (timeline . "  % s")
          (todo . " %i <%3(jv-todoinfo)> %-20:c")
          (tags . " %i %-12:c")
          (search . " %i %-12:c"))
        )

#+END_SRC

--

@ 2019-05-08 23:46         ` Adrian Bradd
From: Adrian Bradd @ 2019-05-08 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: joakim; +Cc: David Masterson, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

This post doesn't seem to be exactly what you want, but it might
have some details to help you modify the org-agenda view to your
liking.

https://www.reddit.com/r/emacs/comments/8wohqz/completely_custom_orgagenda_with_support_for_gtd/

Cheers,

--