I am surprised by the level of quoting seemingly required by org-mode to pass a variable to psql in :cmdline The following works: #+PROPERTY: header-args:sql :engine postgresql :dbhost my.host :database mydb :dbuser me #+PROPERTY: header-args:sql+ :tangle no :results table :exports both #+BEGIN_SRC sql :cmdline "-v this=\\'that\\'" select :this as this #+END_SRC #+RESULTS: | this | |------| | that | However, I found no other quote/escape combination to work. At first I expected to work: :cmdline "-v this=\'asdf\'" ... but it is an error. Is this expected and consistent with other emacs behavior? Is there another, perhaps simpler, way to pass variables to postgresql code block in org ob-sql? Thanks, Malcolm