emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
 help / color / mirror / code / Atom feed
* Using est+ with effort estimate range
@ 2020-05-30 12:40 Axel Kielhorn
  2020-06-02 10:17 ` Axel Kielhorn
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 5+ messages in thread
From: Axel Kielhorn @ 2020-05-30 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-Mode Mailing List

Hello,

according to the manual, there is a special column type for column view

‘est+’	Add low-high estimates.

This is explained later:

The ‘est+’ summary type requires further explanation. It is used for combining estimates, expressed as low-high ranges. For example, instead of estimating a particular task will take 5 days, you might estimate it as 5–6 days if you’re fairly confident you know how much work is required, or 1–10 days if you do not really know what needs to be done. Both ranges average at 5.5 days, but the first represents a more predictable delivery.

But I’m not able to define a range.

** Arbeitszeiten planen und erfassen
:PROPERTIES:
    :COLUMNS:  %50ITEM(Aufgabe) %11TODO(Status) %EFFORT{est+} %CLOCKSUM
    :ID: Arbeitszeiten
:END:

*** Aufgabe 2 [0/1]

**** TODO Unteraufgabe 1
:PROPERTIES:
:EFFORT:   3-5 h
:END:

What is the correct format to define a range?

Thanks for your help.

Greetings
Axel




^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: Using est+ with effort estimate range
  2020-05-30 12:40 Using est+ with effort estimate range Axel Kielhorn
@ 2020-06-02 10:17 ` Axel Kielhorn
  2020-09-13 20:37   ` Kyle Meyer
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 5+ messages in thread
From: Axel Kielhorn @ 2020-06-02 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-Mode Mailing List



> Am 30.05.2020 um 14:40 schrieb Axel Kielhorn <org-mode@axelkielhorn.de>:
> 
> Hello,
> 
> according to the manual, there is a special column type for column view
> 
> ‘est+’	Add low-high estimates.
> 
> This is explained later:
> 
> The ‘est+’ summary type requires further explanation. It is used for combining estimates, expressed as low-high ranges. For example, instead of estimating a particular task will take 5 days, you might estimate it as 5–6 days if you’re fairly confident you know how much work is required, or 1–10 days if you do not really know what needs to be done. Both ranges average at 5.5 days, but the first represents a more predictable delivery.

There was a bug report in 2014:

Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2014 11:45:21 -0500
Message-ID: <CAG2CFAaaFUyM5MJRfYxJ=kjnqmS=ub54Rx3NVtsgDMcyHQ-zsQ@mail.gmail.com>
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: [O] Bug: est+ not working,
 or perhaps under-documented [8.2.10 (release_8.2.10 @
 c:/Users/yhluc00/emacs/share/emacs/24.4/lisp/org/)]

With a reply and a patch by Nicolas:

From: Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2014 23:57:48 +0100
Subject: Re: [O] Bug: est+ not working,
	or perhaps under-documented [8.2.10 (release_8.2.10 @
	c:/Users/yhluc00/emacs/share/emacs/24.4/lisp/org/)]
X-BeenThere: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
X-Mailman-Version: 2.1.14

Proper syntax is simply

  :Effort: 4-12

But this gives:
Invalid duration format: "4-12“

Here is the patch:

Fix low-high estimates	c1558d34d	Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr>	16.12.2014, 23:53

Greetings Axel

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: Using est+ with effort estimate range
  2020-06-02 10:17 ` Axel Kielhorn
@ 2020-09-13 20:37   ` Kyle Meyer
  2021-05-15  9:23     ` Bastien
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 5+ messages in thread
From: Kyle Meyer @ 2020-09-13 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Axel Kielhorn; +Cc: Org-Mode Mailing List

Thanks for the report, and sorry for the slow reply.

Axel Kielhorn writes:

>> Am 30.05.2020 um 14:40 schrieb Axel Kielhorn <org-mode@axelkielhorn.de>:
>> 
>> Hello,
>> 
>> according to the manual, there is a special column type for column view
>> 
>> ‘est+’	Add low-high estimates.
>> 
[...]
>
> There was a bug report in 2014:
>
> Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2014 11:45:21 -0500
> Message-ID: <CAG2CFAaaFUyM5MJRfYxJ=kjnqmS=ub54Rx3NVtsgDMcyHQ-zsQ@mail.gmail.com>
> To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
> Subject: [O] Bug: est+ not working,
>  or perhaps under-documented [8.2.10 (release_8.2.10 @
>  c:/Users/yhluc00/emacs/share/emacs/24.4/lisp/org/)]
>
> With a reply and a patch by Nicolas:
[...]
> Proper syntax is simply
>
>   :Effort: 4-12
>
> But this gives:
> Invalid duration format: "4-12“
>
> Here is the patch:
>
> Fix low-high estimates	c1558d34d	Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr>	16.12.2014, 23:53

I see the same thing on my end as well, using your example and the
example from the message you linked to:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
#+COLUMNS: %40ITEM(Task) %12Effort(Estimate){est+}

* Estimate
** Little Thing
   :PROPERTIES:
   :Effort:   1.0-5.5
   :END:
** Big Mess
   :PROPERTIES:
   :Effort:   8.0-30.0
   :END:
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

It looks like the fix from the above commit (c1558d34d) was later broken
by the transition to the org-duration library in Org 9.1, specifically
7e8cf5f4c (Use Org duration library, 2017-02-08).


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: Using est+ with effort estimate range
  2020-09-13 20:37   ` Kyle Meyer
@ 2021-05-15  9:23     ` Bastien
  2021-05-16  5:31       ` Axel Kielhorn
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 5+ messages in thread
From: Bastien @ 2021-05-15  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kyle Meyer; +Cc: Axel Kielhorn, Org-Mode Mailing List

Kyle Meyer <kyle@kyleam.com> writes:

> It looks like the fix from the above commit (c1558d34d) was later broken
> by the transition to the org-duration library in Org 9.1, specifically
> 7e8cf5f4c (Use Org duration library, 2017-02-08).

I'm not able to reproduce this bug from the maint branch, closing it
right now.  Please feel free to re-open it if I've not been testing it
correctly.

Thanks,

-- 
 Bastien


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: Using est+ with effort estimate range
  2021-05-15  9:23     ` Bastien
@ 2021-05-16  5:31       ` Axel Kielhorn
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 5+ messages in thread
From: Axel Kielhorn @ 2021-05-16  5:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-Mode Mailing List



> Am 15.05.2021 um 11:23 schrieb Bastien <bzg@gnu.org>:
> 
> Kyle Meyer <kyle@kyleam.com> writes:
> 
>> It looks like the fix from the above commit (c1558d34d) was later broken
>> by the transition to the org-duration library in Org 9.1, specifically
>> 7e8cf5f4c (Use Org duration library, 2017-02-08).
> 
> I'm not able to reproduce this bug from the maint branch, closing it
> right now.  Please feel free to re-open it if I've not been testing it
> correctly.

It works fine with column view, but I have a different problem now.

Will write a separate message.

Greetings Axel



^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2021-05-16  5:34 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 5+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2020-05-30 12:40 Using est+ with effort estimate range Axel Kielhorn
2020-06-02 10:17 ` Axel Kielhorn
2020-09-13 20:37   ` Kyle Meyer
2021-05-15  9:23     ` Bastien
2021-05-16  5:31       ` Axel Kielhorn

Code repositories for project(s) associated with this inbox:

	https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git

This is a public inbox, see mirroring instructions
for how to clone and mirror all data and code used for this inbox;
as well as URLs for read-only IMAP folder(s) and NNTP newsgroup(s).