On Mar 18, 2009, at 5:48 PM, Peter Jones wrote: > Carsten Dominik writes: >> This is `C-u C-c C-w', it uses the refile command interface >> to go to a location. > > I'm always looking for a faster way to move around my org buffers, so > based on what you said above, I tried setting org-refile-targets like > so: > > (setq org-refile-targets '((nil . (:maxlevel . 2)))) > > And then tried using C-u C-c C-w to move around. Unfortunately, it's > not very practical for moving around since if you want to move > somewhere > in the same tree you get this error: > > Cannot refile to position inside the tree or region This is just a bug. Fixed now. > > It would really be neat if there was a way to jump to a specific > heading, no matter how deep, by just typing a few key strokes. Right > now, I'm using C-s to do this, but the idea of having auto- > completion is > compelling. This is what org-goto is for. You can select the interface to be used with the variable org-goto-interface. Set it to outline-path-completion and it will work like refiling. You can configure the maximum depth for this command with org-goto-max-level. > > How about something like this: > > 1. Using a key binding, you enter a movement mode (ido, mini-buffer) > > 2. You select the first level heading you want (just like C-c C-w) > > 3. Point moves to the heading you selected > > 4. You are prompted for a second level heading > > 5. Either choose a heading, or do C-g to stay where you are > > 6. Continue until you get where you want to be It will not work like this, but I think, in the end, you would find that what you propose might feel slow again. I believe you get the fatest interface by using (setq org-outline-path-complete-in-steps nil) and using ido for doing the completion on the full path. The main difference between org-goto and calling org-refile with a prefix argument is that the former always gives you all headings to a certain depth in the current file, while the latter offer a selection of important headings in potentially many files. I believe that many people only use the refile interface, and then have both agenda targets, and current file targets configured in org-refile-targets. > > Does that sound interesting to anyone? If so, I could put together > something for us to play with. > > -- > Peter Jones, http://pmade.com > pmade inc. Louisville, CO US > > > > _______________________________________________ > Emacs-orgmode mailing list > Remember: use `Reply All' to send replies to the list. > Emacs-orgmode@gnu.org > http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/emacs-orgmode