From: Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl>
To: Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Can't make TODO dependencies work
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2009 20:38:21 +0100	[thread overview]

In fact, we need a FAQ about this issue:

Several variables in Org must already be set a load time.
This is one of the reasons why you should not use (require 'org)
in your setup, but better only (require 'org-install).

However, org.el will also get loaded when you require some
other org-... file, for example an add-on from the contrib
directory.

The right way is therefore *always* this (a general Emacs truth).

First, set all your variables.  Then load the package.

In this particular example, the problem is the following:
Setting the variables for the todo dependencies triggers
adding functions to org-blocker-hook, at load time for org.el.

I *could* do a different implementation, where the functions
are always in the blocker hook, but are only active when the
variables are set.  However, the problem is then that it is
difficult to see from the outside if the hook is doing something,
and I want to use that knowledge to avoid overhead in the
agenda for people who do not use todo dependencies.

- Carsten