* LaTeX export: Theorem with an author
@ 2013-02-07 20:50 Vincent Beffara
From: Vincent Beffara @ 2013-02-07 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode List

Hi,

How to generate latex code for a theorem with an author, like this:

\begin{theorem}[Newton]
Blah.
\end{theorem}

With the old exporter, you could do this:

#+BEGIN_theorem Newton
Blah.
#+END_theorem

(possibly with brackets, not sure) but now the rest of the #+BEGIN_ line is ignored ... This works:

#+BEGIN_theorem
[Newton]
Blah.
#+END_theorem

but it is more by accident than anything else. What would be the right way?

Thanks,

/v

--
Vincent Beffara

* Re: LaTeX export: Theorem with an author
@ 2013-02-08 19:58 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2013-02-08 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vincent Beffara; +Cc: Org Mode List

Hello,

Vincent Beffara <vbeffara+ml@gmail.com> writes:

> How to generate latex code for a theorem with an author, like this:
>
> \begin{theorem}[Newton]
> Blah.
> \end{theorem}
>
> With the old exporter, you could do this:
>

> #+BEGIN_theorem Newton
> Blah.
> #+END_theorem
>

> (possibly with brackets, not sure) but now the rest of the #+BEGIN_ line is ignored ... This works:
>

> #+BEGIN_theorem
> [Newton]
> Blah.
> #+END_theorem
>

> but it is more by accident than anything else. What would be the right
> way?

There's no right way at the moment: I forgot to implement this.

Anyway, since this feature was LaTeX only, what do you think about the
following syntax (which doesn't work yet):

  #+attr_latex: :options [Newton]
  #+begin_theorem
  Blah.
  #+end_theorem

It is heavier but it seems more consistent to me.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: LaTeX export: Theorem with an author
@ 2013-02-09 13:09   ` Andreas Leha
From: Andreas Leha @ 2013-02-09 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Nicolas,

>> How to generate latex code for a theorem with an author, like this:
>>
>> \begin{theorem}[Newton]
>> Blah.
>> \end{theorem}
>>
>> With the old exporter, you could do this:
>>

>> #+BEGIN_theorem Newton
>> Blah.
>> #+END_theorem

[...]

I was not aware of that possibility in the old exporter.  Neat!

> There's no right way at the moment: I forgot to implement this.
>
> Anyway, since this feature was LaTeX only, what do you think about the
> following syntax (which doesn't work yet):
>
>   #+attr_latex: :options [Newton]
>   #+begin_theorem
>   Blah.
>   #+end_theorem
>
> It is heavier but it seems more consistent to me.

Even if it *was* LaTeX only, shouldn't it be up to the backend to
provide translation of such arguments?  I'd vote for the shorter version
to have a (possibly future) backend-agnostic version.

Just my 2ct.

- Andreas

* Re: LaTeX export: Theorem with an author
@ 2013-02-09 13:16     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2013-02-09 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Leha; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Andreas Leha <andreas.leha@med.uni-goettingen.de> writes:

>>   #+attr_latex: :options [Newton]
>>   #+begin_theorem
>>   Blah.
>>   #+end_theorem
>>
>> It is heavier but it seems more consistent to me.
>
> Even if it *was* LaTeX only, shouldn't it be up to the backend to
> provide translation of such arguments?  I'd vote for the shorter version
> to have a (possibly future) backend-agnostic version.

Well, I already have implemented this syntax. We'll see how it goes.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: LaTeX export: Theorem with an author
@ 2013-02-09 13:30       ` Andreas Leha
From: Andreas Leha @ 2013-02-09 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Nicolas,

>>>   #+attr_latex: :options [Newton]
>>>   #+begin_theorem
>>>   Blah.
>>>   #+end_theorem
>>>
>>> It is heavier but it seems more consistent to me.
>>
>> Even if it *was* LaTeX only, shouldn't it be up to the backend to
>> provide translation of such arguments?  I'd vote for the shorter version
>> to have a (possibly future) backend-agnostic version.
>
> Well, I already have implemented this syntax. We'll see how it goes.

Since I go the LaTeX-route most times, I'll be a most-times-happy user
of this.  Thanks for implementing it!

Exporting to multiple backends takes more efforts than I'd like, anyway.
So I try to avoid that and concentrate on one backend per project.  I'd
just rather like to see the differences decrease -- not increase ;-)

- Andreas

* Re: LaTeX export: Theorem with an author
@ 2013-02-10 23:26   ` Vincent Beffara
From: Vincent Beffara @ 2013-02-10 23:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: Org Mode List

Hi,
> There's no right way at the moment: I forgot to implement this.
>
> Anyway, since this feature was LaTeX only, what do you think about the
> following syntax (which doesn't work yet):
>
> #+attr_latex: :options [Newton]
> #+begin_theorem
> Blah.
> #+end_theorem
>
> It is heavier but it seems more consistent to me.
It does seem more consistent with things like fig captions and so on - thanks for implementing! A little bit more verbose but that's fine ... and I agree that the previous "#+begin_theorem Somebody" felt a bit vague. How about a middle ground like this ?

#+begin_theorem :options [Him]
slkdfj
#+end_theorem

@ 2013-02-11  7:02     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2013-02-11  7:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vincent Beffara; +Cc: Org Mode List

Vincent Beffara <vbeffara+ml@gmail.com> writes:

> It does seem more consistent with things like fig captions and so on -
> thanks for implementing! A little bit more verbose but that's fine ...
> and I agree that the previous "#+begin_theorem Somebody" felt a bit
> vague. How about a middle ground like this ?
>
> #+begin_theorem :options [Him]
> slkdfj
> #+end_theorem

This isn't future-proof. If, for example, we need to add options for the
HTML back-end, there will be a syntax conflict. The rule is the
following:

- If the toggle are global, allow them on the block opening string
  (i.e. src-block and code toggles)

- For back-end specific value, use attributes.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: LaTeX export: Theorem with an author
@ 2013-02-11 22:07       ` Vincent Beffara
From: Vincent Beffara @ 2013-02-11 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: Org Mode List

Hi,
> > #+begin_theorem :options [Him]
> > slkdfj
> > #+end_theorem
>
> This isn't future-proof. If, for example, we need to add options for the
> HTML back-end, there will be a syntax conflict. The rule is the
> following:
>
> - If the toggle are global, allow them on the block opening string
> (i.e. src-block and code toggles)
>
> - For back-end specific value, use attributes.
Fair enough. Although as Andreas said, something backend-agnostic to specify meta-data could still make sense at some point, which each backend could choose to implement as reasonable or ignore. You're right that setting LaTeX to add [Author] is probably not one of those cases.

Cheers,

/v