* Unicode (double-byte?) goofs up text table layout
@ 2014-08-01 13:46 John Lusk
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: John Lusk @ 2014-08-01 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 607 bytes --]

Hey, org-mode crew.  Awesome app; I love it.  It's pretty much the only
thing that keeps me in emacs these days (apart from writing Python code :)
).

You probably already know about this problem, but here's a thousand words:

​
(I hope that comes through.)

I'm sorry I only have time to whine and not fix, but, hey: day job and all.

GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7601) of 2013-03-17 on MARVIN
Org-mode version 8.2.5h (8.2.5h-dist @
c:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/)

(Re-attaching pic at full size, since I don't know what gmail is going to
do to that insertion.)

John.

[-- Attachment #1.1.2: Type: text/html, Size: 1009 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #1.2: org-mode-table-with-unicode.PNG --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 9836 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #2: org-mode-table-with-unicode.PNG --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 9836 bytes --]

* Re: Unicode (double-byte?) goofs up text table layout
@ 2014-08-01 16:11 ` Grant Rettke
From: Grant Rettke @ 2014-08-01 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Lusk; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Layout works for ASCII width characters

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2009-02/msg00323.html

The maintainers surely may tell you more, though.

Grant Rettke | ACM, ASA, FSF, IEEE, SIAM
gcr@wisdomandwonder.com | http://www.wisdomandwonder.com/
“Wisdom begins in wonder.” --Socrates
((λ (x) (x x)) (λ (x) (x x)))
“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop
taking it seriously.” --Thompson

@ 2014-08-01 16:32 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2014-08-01 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

John Lusk <johnlusk4@gmail.com> writes:

> Hey, org-mode crew.  Awesome app; I love it.  It's pretty much the
> only thing that keeps me in emacs these days (apart from writing
> Python code :) ).
>
> You probably already know about this problem, but here's a thousand
> words:
>

>     [cid]
>
> ​
> (I hope that comes through.)

A bit of work has gone into keeping double-byte characters from messing
up Org tables, but my guess is what you've got there is just an odd-out
glyph. It looks like the, erm, carrots (I'm not a mathematician) are
getting borrowed from a different font and substituted into your
fixed-width font where they don't quite belong.

[five minutes later]

I just went and did my homework and LOGICAL OR and LOGICAL AND are
in fact single-byte characters. If they look funny, it's just because
few fixed-width fonts come with all the necessaries. I don't think
there's much way around that...

@ 2014-08-01 17:10   ` John Lusk
From: John Lusk @ 2014-08-01 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grant Rettke; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Yeah, constant-width font.  I tried switching to utf-16, but that didn't
help.

@ 2014-08-01 17:51 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2014-08-01 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

John Lusk writes:
> You probably already know about this problem, but here's a thousand
> words:

That has nothing to do with Org.  Your font (or any of the fallback
fonts that are tried instead) doesn't provide a single-width glyph for
the unicode codepoint you're using.  Emacs usually gets this right if
you have at least a fallback font for these glyphs that has the same
width _and_ single-width glyphs, so wither such a font is missing
completely on your system or the fontconfig is slightly messed up.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: Unicode (double-byte?) goofs up text table layout
@ 2014-08-09 10:26   ` Axel Kielhorn
From: Axel Kielhorn @ 2014-08-09 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 01.08.2014 um 18:32 schrieb Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net>:

> John Lusk <johnlusk4@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hey, org-mode crew.  Awesome app; I love it.  It's pretty much the
>> only thing that keeps me in emacs these days (apart from writing
>> Python code :) ).
>>

> A bit of work has gone into keeping double-byte characters from messing
> up Org tables, but my guess is what you've got there is just an odd-out
> glyph. It looks like the, erm, carrots (I'm not a mathematician) are
> getting borrowed from a different font and substituted into your
> fixed-width font where they don't quite belong.
>
> [five minutes later]
>
> I just went and did my homework and LOGICAL OR and LOGICAL AND are
> in fact single-byte characters. If they look funny, it's just because
> few fixed-width fonts come with all the necessaries. I don't think
> there's much way around that...

Both characters are in
DejaVu Sans Mono
Free Monospaced