* [new exporter] how can I export drawers?
@ 2013-04-29 19:20 Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2013-04-29 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

I am going a little crazy here!  I have an org document which I need to
export to PDF using latex.  Everything works just fine with the new
exporter except for one thing: I cannot get it to export drawers.  I
have set org-export-with-drawers to t, I have set "d:t" in the OPTIONS
line, I have defined org-latex-format-drawer-function as described in
the documentation.  None of this has made any difference.

Now, having looked at the code, it almost seems that there is no such
functionality?  Grepping for org-export-with-drawers only brings up
three lines in all of lisp/*.el, none of which does anything with this
variable.

Is there any way to export drawers (LOGBOOK in my case)?

Many thanks,
eric

--
: Eric S Fraga, GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D
: in Emacs 24.3.50.1 and Org release_8.0.2-56-g09167e

* Re: [new exporter] how can I export drawers?
@ 2013-04-29 20:15 ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2013-04-29 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> I am going a little crazy here!  I have an org document which I need to
> export to PDF using latex.

[not an answer, but rather a feature request]

I would like to be able to export drawers to ASCII too, although, as
Nicolas mentioned in an earlier thread, the ascii exporter currently
does not handle this. IMO, every exporter should offer the option to
export _all_ the info in an Org file (the backend might possibly able to
digest).

At the moment, when I want to share an Org-file as text with non
Org-users, all I can do is save it as .txt file, which results in a
complete, but rather unreadable output, expecially when there are many
timestamps, tags and drawers involved.

--
cheers,
Thorsten

* Re: [new exporter] how can I export drawers?
@ 2013-04-30  7:33 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2013-04-30  7:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> I am going a little crazy here!  I have an org document which I need to
> export to PDF using latex.  Everything works just fine with the new
> exporter except for one thing: I cannot get it to export drawers.  I
> have set org-export-with-drawers to t, I have set "d:t" in the OPTIONS
> line, I have defined org-latex-format-drawer-function as described in
> the documentation.  None of this has made any difference.
>
> Now, having looked at the code, it almost seems that there is no such
> functionality?  Grepping for org-export-with-drawers only brings up
> three lines in all of lisp/*.el, none of which does anything with this
> variable.
>
> Is there any way to export drawers (LOGBOOK in my case)?

I don't understand your problem. Drawers are correctly exported here.
Could you provided an ECM?

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: [new exporter] how can I export drawers?
@ 2013-04-30  7:34   ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2013-04-30  7:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thorsten Jolitz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@gmail.com> writes:

> I would like to be able to export drawers to ASCII too, although, as
> Nicolas mentioned in an earlier thread, the ascii exporter currently
> does not handle this.

Did I say that?

AFAICT, drawers are correctly exported in ASCII export.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: [new exporter] how can I export drawers?
@ 2013-04-30  8:53     ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2013-04-30  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com> writes:

> Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I would like to be able to export drawers to ASCII too, although, as
>> Nicolas mentioned in an earlier thread, the ascii exporter currently
>> does not handle this.
>
> Did I say that?
>
> AFAICT, drawers are correctly exported in ASCII export.

You are right, that thread was about property-drawers, drawers are
actually exported to ASCII with '#+OPTIONS: d:t'.

--
cheers,
Thorsten

* Re: [new exporter] how can I export drawers?
@ 2013-04-30 10:42   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2013-04-30 10:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com> writes:

[...]

> I don't understand your problem. Drawers are correctly exported here.
> Could you provided an ECM?

Arggghhh.  An ECM I just created works just fine.  There's obviously
something obscurely wrong in my long document that prevents drawers from
being exported.  I will play around more...  sorry for the noise.

thanks,
eric
--
: Eric S Fraga, GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D
: in Emacs 24.3.50.1 and Org release_8.0.1-60-gcb6284

* Re: [new exporter] how can I export drawers?
@ 2013-04-30 15:03   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2013-04-30 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Nicolas,

further on this: I got my original document working.  I had a d:nil line
hidden away in the document which took precedence over my other attempts
to ask for drawers to be exported.  Sorry about bothering everybody with
this.

However, I am still having some strange random behaviour to do with BIND
and multiple invocations of export.  I use BIND to change the formatting
for active and inactive time stamps on latex export and it works
sometimes but is ignored other times.  I've not figured out a
deterministic recipe to have this consistently repeatable yet but, if
and when I do, I will post here.

Thanks again,
eric
--
: Eric S Fraga, GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D
: in Emacs 24.3.50.1 and Org release_8.0-alpha-307-g3a0e55.dirty

* Re: [new exporter] how can I export drawers?
@ 2013-04-30 18:21     ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2013-04-30 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Eric,

I haven't been following closely, so I'm just checking that you're aware
of a new variable org-export-allow-bind-keywords, which could play a
role in the behavior you are seeing.

hth,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye
http://www.tsdye.com

* Re: [new exporter] how can I export drawers?
@ 2013-05-01 12:28       ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2013-05-01 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

"Thomas S. Dye" <tsd@tsdye.com> writes:

> Hi Eric,
>
> I haven't been following closely, so I'm just checking that you're aware
> of a new variable org-export-allow-bind-keywords, which could play a
> role in the behavior you are seeing.

Thanks Tom.  I am indeed aware of this variable.  And it usually
works.  For some reason, some times the bindings are ignored but not in
any consistent manner.  I am going to keep trying to see if I can come
up with an example that is reproducible but so far no luck!

I should add that, generally, the new exporter is excellent.

My problem has been that I have so many documents on the go (from slides
to papers, memos, minutes and notes) that the conversion process from
old to new exporter is causing me a bit of stress.  Typically, when I
re-visit a document that was prepared with the old exporter, it's
because I need it *now* and I rush into making the changes that are
needed for the new exporter... :( Obviously, I need to use org more
effectively for my time management ;-)

Anyway, I have just submitted a paper for publication, written entirely
in org (+babel), including all the data processing, figure generation,
etc.  Org is a brilliant tool all around!

Thanks again,
eric

--

@ 2013-05-02  7:55         ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2013-05-02  7:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Thomas S. Dye

On 1.5.2013, at 14:28, Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:

> "Thomas S. Dye" <tsd@tsdye.com> writes:
>
>> Hi Eric,
>>
>> I haven't been following closely, so I'm just checking that you're aware
>> of a new variable org-export-allow-bind-keywords, which could play a
>> role in the behavior you are seeing.
>
> Thanks Tom.  I am indeed aware of this variable.  And it usually
> works.  For some reason, some times the bindings are ignored but not in
> any consistent manner.  I am going to keep trying to see if I can come
> up with an example that is reproducible but so far no luck!
>
> I should add that, generally, the new exporter is excellent.
>
> My problem has been that I have so many documents on the go (from slides
> to papers, memos, minutes and notes) that the conversion process from
> old to new exporter is causing me a bit of stress.  Typically, when I
> re-visit a document that was prepared with the old exporter, it's
> because I need it *now* and I rush into making the changes that are
> needed for the new exporter... :( Obviously, I need to use org more
> effectively for my time management ;-)

Hi Eric,

I can see that this must be painful, so you are one of the
people who suffer from this more that others.  On the other
hand, this also makes you an asset for Org-mode, because
you keep testing the exporter in many different ways.

I hope that you can stay patient and keep reporting problems
- by the end of this you will have your complete environment
working and the exporter will have gotten better.

Thanks!

- Carsten

@ 2013-05-02 19:28           ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2013-05-02 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Thomas S. Dye

[...]

> Hi Eric,
>
> I can see that this must be painful, so you are one of the
> people who suffer from this more that others.  On the other
> hand, this also makes you an asset for Org-mode, because
> you keep testing the exporter in many different ways.
>
> I hope that you can stay patient and keep reporting problems
> - by the end of this you will have your complete environment
> working and the exporter will have gotten better.

Hi Carsten,

Sorry!  I did not mean to come across as complaining at all.  I have
been stressed every so often lately because of the move to the new
exporter but *nobody* forced me to move over when I did.  I am obviously
a masochist at heart ;-)  I track the git version to make life
interesting...

To be clear: yes, the move to the new exporter has caused me a few
problems but none of the problems has been to the point that I have
regretted basing so much of my work on org.  Org has transformed, in a
very positive way, quite a few aspects of both my work and personal
lives and I owe much to you and everybody else that has contributed to
org.

If I can contribute by testing at the bleeding edge, I am happy that at
least I am making some contribution.  I wish I had the time and
expertise (in Emacs Lisp) to contribute more.

Thanks again,
eric

--
: Eric S Fraga, GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D
: in Emacs 24.3.50.1 and Org release_8.0.2-60-g713208

* Re: [new exporter] how can I export drawers?
@ 2013-05-03  7:16             ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2013-05-03  7:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Thomas S. Dye

On 2.5.2013, at 21:28, Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:

> Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> writes:
>
> [...]
>
>> Hi Eric,
>>
>> I can see that this must be painful, so you are one of the
>> people who suffer from this more that others.  On the other
>> hand, this also makes you an asset for Org-mode, because
>> you keep testing the exporter in many different ways.
>>
>> I hope that you can stay patient and keep reporting problems
>> - by the end of this you will have your complete environment
>> working and the exporter will have gotten better.
>
> Hi Carsten,
>
> Sorry!  I did not mean to come across as complaining at all.

You did not, I wanted to tell you that your input is appreciated.

Cheers

- Carsten

@ 2013-05-03 14:30               ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2013-05-03 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Thomas S. Dye

> You did not, I wanted to tell you that your input is appreciated.

Thanks!

--
: Eric S Fraga, GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D
: in Emacs 24.3.50.1 and Org release_8.0.2-67-gc36435