* Export org-mode buffer to dynamic html document (collapse/expand details)
@ 2014-07-31 15:50 Martin Beck
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Martin Beck @ 2014-07-31 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Re: Export org-mode buffer to dynamic html document (collapse/expand details)
@ 2014-07-31 16:50 ` Robert Eckl
From: Robert Eckl @ 2014-07-31 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"Martin Beck" <Elwood151@web.de> writes:

> Hi,
> I'm sorry, if this might be obvious, but I don't have much experience
> with org-mode export up to now and I urgently need to export much
> information from my notes and task lists in org-mode in a way that my
> colleagues (no experience with Emacs / org-mode at all) can use it
> during my absence.
> Therefore I need some advice from you:
> I have a lot of projects (hierarchically structured in headings with
> todo keywords, sub-headings, hyperlinks, notes, etc.)
> I want to export all this information into a text format to make it
> usable for my colleagues.
> However, there is A WHOLE LOT of text and to make it the least
> confusing possible,
> it would be great if the text below headings could be collapsed
> somehow or if there was an overview page listing all projects and some
> important sub-headings or remarks and a hyperlink pointing to the
> detailed notes concerning this project.
> Any hints appreciated

I would recommend a look into
https://github.com/SebastianRose/org-info-js/tree/master

or http://orgmode.org/worg/code/org-info-js/index.org.html

There are described various possible views in html with
folding/unfolding, similar emacs folding.

You can switch between the views with "m", goto (n)ext or (p)revious
item, help with ?

IIRC You can realize this with the follwoing to lines in your org-file
and export this to html with c-c c-e h h (or o):

#+HTML_HEAD_EXTRA: <link rel="stylesheet" href="http://orgmode.org/worg/style/worg.css" type="text/css">
#+INFOJS_OPT: view:info toc:nil ftoc:yes ltoc:above  mouse:underline buttons:0 path:http://orgmode.org/org-info.js

The above lines make the toc flowing like www.orgmode.org/worg.
The most important keys for navigating i would mention at the begin of
the page.

HTH,

Robert

* Re: Export org-mode buffer to dynamic html document (collapse/expand details)
@ 2014-07-31 20:01 ` Daniel Clemente
From: Daniel Clemente @ 2014-07-31 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

I did a custom solution, very simple, with jQuery. You may use it:

Demo:
  http://www.danielclemente.com/hacer/emacs.html
Code:
  http://www.danielclemente.com/pagina/esquemadorg.js
  http://www.danielclemente.com/pagina/esquemadorg.css

- The JS and CSS applies to the normal org export.
- The index of contents is itself collapsable.
- The hyperlinking was tricky because if the link destination is collapsed you have to open it automatically (including its parents).
- There's a button to disable the outline (text: „ver todo seguido“)

El Thu, 31 Jul 2014 17:50:03 +0200 Martin Beck va escriure:

@ 2014-08-01  1:04 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2014-08-01  1:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"Martin Beck" <Elwood151@web.de> writes:

> Hi,
> I'm sorry, if this might be obvious, but I don't have much experience
> with org-mode export up to now and I urgently need to export much
> information from my notes and task lists in org-mode in a way that my
> colleagues (no experience with Emacs / org-mode at all) can use it
> during my absence.
>
> Therefore I need some advice from you:
>
> I have a lot of projects (hierarchically structured in headings with
> todo keywords, sub-headings, hyperlinks, notes, etc.)
> I want to export all this information into a text format to make it
> usable for my colleagues.
> However, there is A WHOLE LOT of text and to make it the least
> confusing possible,
> it would be great if the text below headings could be collapsed
> somehow or if there was an overview page listing all projects and
> some important sub-headings or remarks and a hyperlink pointing to
> the detailed notes concerning this project.

This just sounds like a table of contents -- if you export to a format
that supports hyperlinks, wouldn't a plain old TOC do?

* Re: Export org-mode buffer to dynamic html document (collapse/expand details)
@ 2014-08-02 22:23   ` M
From: M @ 2014-08-02 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: Robert Eckl

> Von: Robert Eckl <eckl.r@gmx.de>
> Datum: Thu, 31 Jul 2014 18:50:21 +0200
> An: <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
> Betreff: Re: [O] Export org-mode buffer to dynamic html document
> (collapse/expand details)

> I would recommend a look into
> https://github.com/SebastianRose/org-info-js/tree/master
>
> or http://orgmode.org/worg/code/org-info-js/index.org.html
>
> There are described various possible views in html with
> folding/unfolding, similar emacs folding.
>
> You can switch between the views with "m", goto (n)ext or (p)revious
> item, help with ?
>
> IIRC You can realize this with the follwoing to lines in your org-file
> and export this to html with c-c c-e h h (or o):
>
> #+HTML_HEAD_EXTRA: <link rel="stylesheet"
> href="http://orgmode.org/worg/style/worg.css" type="text/css">
> #+INFOJS_OPT: view:info toc:nil ftoc:yes ltoc:above  mouse:underline buttons:0
> path:http://orgmode.org/org-info.js

Thanks Robert (and to those who developed those features) - that's just
awesome!
I'll have to figure out the best setting for me, but the results I got in
first tests (thanks to your suggested settings) are already very promising!

One question: what's the difference between Exporting and Publishing in
org-mode?
I assume that exporting can be done only for one org file at a time (or for
a region in it), while publishing normally acts on multiple files at once -
is that true?

One second question:
is it also possible to export or publish agenda views with hyperlinks
pointing to the details of each task/heading?

Kind regards

Martin

* Re: Export org-mode buffer to dynamic html document (collapse/expand details)
@ 2014-08-02 22:25   ` M
From: M @ 2014-08-02 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Von: Daniel Clemente <n142857@gmail.com>
> Datum: Fri, 01 Aug 2014 03:01:31 +0700
> An: Martin Beck <Elwood151@web.de>
> Betreff: Re: [O] Export org-mode buffer to dynamic html document
> (collapse/expand details)
>

> I did a custom solution, very simple, with jQuery. You may use it:
>
> Demo:
>   http://www.danielclemente.com/hacer/emacs.html
> Code:
>   http://www.danielclemente.com/pagina/esquemadorg.js
>   http://www.danielclemente.com/pagina/esquemadorg.css
>

> - The JS and CSS applies to the normal org export.
> - The index of contents is itself collapsable.
> - The hyperlinking was tricky because if the link destination is collapsed you
> have to open it automatically (including its parents).
> - There's a button to disable the outline (text: „ver todo seguido“)

Hi Daniel,

thanks a lot for this - really good work and it also looks great.
Firstly, I'll discover the standard exporting/publishing features in
org-mode, but I'll definitely get back to your great solution later.

Martin

* Re: Export org-mode buffer to dynamic html document (collapse/expand details)
@ 2014-08-02 22:29   ` M
From: M @ 2014-08-02 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: Eric Abrahamsen

> Von: Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net>
> Datum: Fri, 01 Aug 2014 09:04:07 +0800
> An: <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
> Betreff: Re: [O] Export org-mode buffer to dynamic html document
> (collapse/expand details)
>
> "Martin Beck" <Elwood151@web.de> writes:
>

>> it would be great if the text below headings could be collapsed
>> somehow or if there was an overview page listing all projects and
>> some important sub-headings or remarks and a hyperlink pointing to
>> the detailed notes concerning this project.
>
> This just sounds like a table of contents -- if you export to a format
> that supports hyperlinks, wouldn't a plain old TOC do?

Eric, thanks for your comment!
Indeed a TOC is a good start as it would give an overview of the projects.
I just discovered that if I export a todo tree in "visible only"

C-c / t
C-c C-e
C-v
C-h C-o

(with Rober Eckl's HTML export settings suggested in the same thread here)

the generated TOC only contains those headings from the TODO tree.. :-)

Kind regards

Martin