I use Unison for settings like dotfiles, since with unison you don't have to put files into a specific folder or use symlinks. I miss versioning of Dropbox, but it is okay since settings do not change that frequently. I just back up everything every day. I use AeroFS for sensitive data and Dropbox for other things. Best,Joon > From: torys.anderson@gmail.com > To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org > Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2015 09:25:19 -0600 > Subject: Re: [O] Favorite way of syncing? > > At the moment I'm using a self-hosted OwnCloud to do syncing; it's > super easy (takes care of itself), but sometimes conflicts are a > problem (particularly when I forget to save my buffers before > leaving work); if you notice it, though, it provides a conflict > version (and has automatic versioning a la Dropbox). > > Eric Abrahamsen writes: > > > jorge.alfaro-murillo@yale.edu (Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo) writes: > > > >> Tobias Frischholz writes: > >> > >>> I was wondering what is your favorite way of syncing your org > >>> files > >>> and everything. > >> [...] > >>> I’ve also read about org-sync and magit (git is an option for > >>> me). > >>> And now I’m starting the get confused. > >> > >> magit is just the emacs mode for git, if you don't have it and > >> use git > >> you should really install it. But it does not sync anything you > >> still > >> have to M-x magit F F and M-x magit P P, for > >> pull and > >> push. > >> > >> I have several computers and synchronize my org files with > >> git. I > >> think it is the best option because I do not have to worry > >> about the > >> sync not working (for example when I do not have a connection) > >> and > >> conflicts in the files. > > > > I do this, too. I don't think Magit helps much, in fact I'd be > > better > > off writing functions for `emacs-startup-hook' and > > `kill-emacs-hook' > > that do my pushes and pulls for me. > > > > But for now, I just try to remember to commit and push before I > > leave a > > machine. > > > > This way, you also really learn to appreciate using "git fetch" > > and "git > > status", rather than doing a blind "git pull". > > > > Eric > > > > > > > > -- > Tory S. Anderson > Computational Cognitive Narratologist > http://toryanderson.com >