Apparently it was caused by the following custom function for org-export-before-parsing-hook that I had to remove the subtree with "beameronly" tag: (defun as/delete-ignored-heading (backend) (unless (equal backend 'beamer) ; remove subtree with beameronly tag (org-map-entries (lambda () (progn (org-narrow-to-subtree) (org-cut-subtree) ) ) "+beameronly" 'tree) ) ) (setq org-export-before-parsing-hook '(as/delete-ignored-heading)) What I did wrong to cause this error? It worked for sum subtrees but not for others. From: joon.ro@outlook.com To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2015 14:35:53 -0500 Subject: [O] export fails with "byte-code: Before first headline at position ..." Hi, When I try to export my org files I'm getting this error. For example: byte-code: Before first headline at position 1 in buffer Blog.org<2> I could not find any way to fix this - any help will be very appreciated. Thank you,Joon