* using org mode and git efficiently
@ 2013-01-03 13:20 Luca Ferrari
From: Luca Ferrari @ 2013-01-03 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,
I'm using Org mode to manage my coding projects, that are all based on
git. I was wondering if there are tips and tricks to use the two
efficiently, for instance storing the current head when a task is
marched as completed in org mode, so that the task can "link" to the
commit that completed a feature. Also having the commit text being
based on the org task one (or viceversa?) could be useful.
Anyone has an hint on how to achieve a more org-to-git integration?
I'm using magit to what it matters.

Thanks,
Luca

* Re: using org mode and git efficiently
@ 2013-01-03 13:48 ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2013-01-03 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luca Ferrari; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Luca Ferrari <fluca1978@infinito.it> writes:

> Hi all,
> I'm using Org mode to manage my coding projects, that are all based on
> git. I was wondering if there are tips and tricks to use the two
> efficiently, for instance storing the current head when a task is
> marched as completed in org mode, so that the task can "link" to the
> commit that completed a feature. Also having the commit text being
> based on the org task one (or viceversa?) could be useful.
> Anyone has an hint on how to achieve a more org-to-git integration?
> I'm using magit to what it matters.

Try
        C-x v g and/or C-x v l

in your version controlled Org file.

In conventional prog-modes, while preparing a ChangeLog entry
        C-x 4 a

can identify the function where the change was made.  I don't whether in
Org-mode the nearest headline (which qualifies as 'nearest function')
gets picked up.  If not, you can make a feature request.

See also
        (info "(org) Attachments")

@ 2013-01-03 15:20   ` Torsten Wagner
From: Torsten Wagner @ 2013-01-03 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luca Ferrari; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

there exist a contrib
http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/org-git-link.html
which allows you to link to specific versions of a file under git control.
Thus, you can describe a error/feature/behavior in a file and make sure the
description remains valid even if you change the file in the mean time.
E.g. you can document your bug fixing with ¨before¨ and ¨after¨ links.

I believe that this is a very important feature if you work with git and org

Greetings

Torsten

@ 2013-01-03 15:26     ` Luca Ferrari
From: Luca Ferrari @ 2013-01-03 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Thanks,
this is really close to what I was searching for (I believe that using
the bare metal mode with the commit object is what I need to track
which commit closed the task.
I'll try it.

Thanks,
Luca