I'm not a Python expert too but I don't that return statement can be used as is on the fly. So, yes is the expected behavior of Python Try instead #+begin_src python :results output a = (1, 2, 3, 4) print(a) #+end_src #+RESULTS: : (1, 2, 3, 4) On Fri, Jan 31, 2014 at 9:24 PM, Soapy Smith wrote: > Hello- > > I am not a user of Python (yet). During a comparison of code block > behavior between Clojure and Python, I discovered a possible Python > error. > > Here is the code block: > > #+begin_src python :results output > a = (1, 2, 3, 4) > return a > #+end_src > > The evaluation of this block results in this error: > > File "", line 2 > SyntaxError: 'return' outside function > > Could someone please comment if this is expected Python behavior? > > I am using org 8.2.4. > > Regards, > Greg > > > -- Ahmadou H. DICKO statistician economist (Ingénieur Statisticien Économiste) PhD candidate in Climate change economics Faculty of economics and managment - Cheikh Anta Diop University West African Science Service Center on Climate Change and Adaptated Land Use (WASCAL) Center for Development Research (ZEF) - University of Bonn email : ahmadou.dicko@ucad.edu.sn twitter : @dickoah github : github/dickoa tel : +221 33 827 55 16 portable: +221 77 123 81 69