Ugh, I update my emacs package pretty infrequently and I usually have 30 or more packages updating at a time -- I can't see wading through 30 NEWS files searching for landmines... -- Bill On Mon, Nov 16, 2020 at 9:10 PM Tom Gillespie wrote: > Semver is unlikely to help because the question is what is "broken" by > a change in version. Semver would likely be about breaking changes to > internal org apis, not changes to default behavior that affect users, > so you have two different "semantics" which put us right back where we > are now -- to know what really changed you have to read the NEWS. > Bastien has also talked about hear-ye versioning, which says when a > version changes users need to read the news. Best, > Tom > > > On Mon, Nov 16, 2020 at 1:15 PM gyro funch wrote: > > > > On 11/16/2020 9:26 AM, Tom Gillespie wrote: > > > Would it help if major releases maintained a mini-config that if added > > > to init.el would allow users to retain old behavior? That way they > > > wouldn't have to read the NEWS but could just add the relevant lines, > > > or maybe even just call the org-old-default-behavior-9.1 or > > > org-old-default-behavior-9.4. The workflow during development would be > > > to account for any change to defaults in those functions. Thoughts? > > > Tom > > > > > > > > > > I hate to open a new can of worms, but could semantic versioning be used > > such that it is obvious when there are changes that are not backwards > > compatible? > > > > -gyro > > > > > >