Here's a hyperbole-org integration that lets you use org-mode tables outside of org-mode files. Shift-middle-click a "recalc" button and it will recalculate the table right under it (this idea is from an old version of the Oberon environment I wrote in Java, by the way). Here's the code: (defun bill/calc (end) (goto-char end) (re-search-forward "\n") (when (org-at-table-p) (org-table-analyze) (let* ((table-start (point)) (rows (1- (length org-table-dlines))) (table-end (re-search-forward "\n" nil t rows)) (inside (<= table-start action-key-depress-prev-point table-end))) (when inside (goto-char action-key-depress-prev-point) (org-table-maybe-eval-formula)) (goto-char table-start) (call-interactively 'org-table-recalculate) (org-table-align)))) (defib recalc () "recalculate a table" (save-excursion (let* ((pos (point)) (eol (progn (re-search-forward "\n") (point))) (bol (progn (re-search-backward "\n" nil t 2) (1+ (point)))) (start (progn (goto-char pos) (re-search-backward "<" bol t))) (end (progn (goto-char pos) (re-search-forward ">" eol t)))) ;;(message "pos: %s, prev: %s" (point) action-key-depress-prev-point) (and start end (string-match " ].*" (buffer-substring start end)) (hact 'bill/calc end))))) Here's an example table you can put anywhere. Just shift-middle-click on it to recalculate the org-mode table. Also, if you type a formula (and keep the cursor on the same line) and then shift-click recalc, it'll handle the formula: | a | 12 | | a | 5 | #+TBLFM: @1$2=3*4::@2$2=2+3 -- Bill On Wed, Jun 22, 2022 at 1:38 PM Juan Manuel MacĂ­as wrote: > Hi David, > > David Masterson writes: > > > I haven't touched Hyperbole in ...decades...? Even then, it was > > complicated and full-featured (but I still keep it in my .emacs file). > > My discussions with Bob Weiner were interesting at the time and I really > > wanted to make use of it. > > > > As you've discovered, it integrates a lot of what Org has in, perhaps, a > > tighter fashion (which makes it more complicated, but the pain might be > > useful). The Smart Keys and Buttons are very similar to Org. The > > outliner (KOutline) is more powerful than Org, but not integrated with > > export capabilities to other formats (I think there is a way of > > exporting an outline to Org). Something that Org does not have is > > browsing capabilities for Object Oriented languages. This is an add-on > > (for C++ ?) in Hyperbole (search for OO-Browser). Since I retired, I > > don't do much programming, so Org's project management has been more > > interesting to me. > > > > It's nice to see that it's actually still being developed by Bob. > > Thanks for all the interesting facts about hyperbole. I hadn't looked at > the package source code info yet, and didn't know that this is all the > work of one person. I also thought hyperbole was more recent... > > It certainly has some interesting stuff. In what way is KOutline more > powerful than Org? Do you think there is any useful feature of KOutline > that could be incorporated into Org? > > So far I've been able to find a couple of practical uses for this > package in my workflow. The whole window control system is very > powerful, although it would have been better if it had been a single > separate package, IMHO. > > Implicit links have a lot of potential. For example, I've managed to > define some buttons for LaTeX, which recognize LaTeX commands and > environments and lead to the local TeX live documentation or > tex.stackexchange.org. It's like giving a LaTeX document a sort of hover > help. This could also be done in Org, by defining some patterns as > implicit buttons to lead to Org info pages. > > Best regards, > > Juan Manuel > >