I have looked at the problem that citations cannot be inserted as 1st items in footnotes once again more closely. It has become obvious for me that this is indeed a bug of org-cite or rather a default setting which was deliberately introduced, although it is not really user-friendly or practical to my mind. I modified the function org-cite--allowed-p in oc.el and inserted 'footnote-definition' in the following lines: ;; Paragraphs and blank lines at top of document are fine. ((memq type '(nil paragraph footnote-definition))) (I leave the comment in its original form to make the passage easier to identify.) 'footnote-definition' by the way does not appear anywhere in org-cite--allowed-p in its current form. After this I can easily insert footnotes as 1st items in citations, and I do not get Org's warning "Cannot insert citation here". Am Sa., 18. Sept. 2021 um 22:39 Uhr schrieb Bruce D'Arcus : > Elias - do you mean org-cite-insert won't allow this? > > [fn:1] [cite:@doe2019]. > > If yes, I don't see that; it inserts fine. > > I'm using bibtex-actions for the insert processor, but I don't think > that should make any difference, since it's org-cite that's handling > that. > > On Sat, Sep 18, 2021 at 4:23 PM Elias Bounatirou > wrote: > > > > Hi, > > When I try to insert a citation as the first item into a > non-inline-definition footnote, org-ref-cite refuses to insert the citation > returning in the minibuffer "Cannot insert citation here". The same problem > does not occur if the footnote has an inline definition. As for > non-inline-definition footnotes, if I copy the citation into the footnote, > no problem occurs, either. The citation is also properly exported to LaTeX. > > Is this a problem of org-cite/org-mode in general or rather of > org-ref-cite? > > > > Best regards, > > Elias >