Hi, can you confirm the issue only appears when the first line of the buffer isn't an outline heading? I think it's easy enough to fix then, and if you like you might want to try the patch I've attached. It's bugged me for a while that `org-back-to-heading' et al throw errors when they're used before the first heading, but I haven't really come up with a better solution. On 8/18/15, Andreas Leha wrote: > Hi Bastien, > > Bastien writes: >> Hi Andreas, >> >> Andreas Leha writes: >> >>> For quite some time now, I have to disable outshine/outorg [1] as it >>> does give me "Before first heading" (complete backtrace [2]) whenever I >>> open an org file followed by more issues actually using org mode. >> >> Copying Thorsten as the author of outshine.el, hopefully he's be able >> to dig deeper. > > Thanks, but my hopes are low. Quoting from the top of outshine's github > readme [1]: > > ,---- > | events in my life forced me away from Emacs and [...] I won't have the > | time to fix issues or code new features (though I will apply patches) > `---- > > Regards, > Andreas > > [1] https://github.com/tj64/outshine > > >