* Babel-R vs. ESS
@ 2014-06-25  7:08 Shiyuan
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Shiyuan @ 2014-06-25  7:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,
    I am learning R and  use Emacs to work with R. I googled around and I
found two options: ESS and Org-R/Org-Babel.
Babel speaks multiple languages( Any languages?-if we write some sort of
parser, which I assume is not terribly difficult under Babel?).

But if R is the primary language I would use, which option (Babel-R vs ESS)
is more advisable? I do want a nice integration of graphics/source code
into a paper/slides.

Any suggestions/options are appreciated.

Shiyuan

* Re: Babel-R vs. ESS
@ 2014-06-25  9:33 ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2014-06-25  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Shiyuan <gshy2014@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi all,
> I am learning R and use Emacs to work with R. I googled around and I
> found two options: ESS and Org-R/Org-Babel.
> Babel speaks multiple languages( Any languages?-if we write some sort
> of parser, which I assume is not terribly difficult under Babel?).
>
> But if R is the primary language I would use, which option (Babel-R vs
> ESS) is more advisable? I do want a nice integration of
> graphics/source code into a paper/slides.
>
> Any suggestions/options are appreciated.

When you write a paper or slides Org(-Babel) is your best friend, I
would say. When its more about R programming with some sophisticated
documentation you could use outshine.el + outorg.el alternatively.

With Org, you are in a text-mode and have your (multi-language) code
'hidden' in source-blocks. For editing code, you switch to temporary
buffers in the programming-language mode.

With Outshine&Outorg, you are in a programming-mode (ESS[R]) and have
your documentation 'hidden' as comments. For editing (comment-) text,
you switch to a temporary edit buffer in org-mode.

I think there is even a third option, i.e. just using ESS[R] and nothing
else, I remember reading it has some multi-mode capabilities for
literate programming with sweave, but I'm not sure.

--
cheers,
Thorsten

* Re: Babel-R vs. ESS
@ 2014-06-25 14:31 ` Ista Zahn
From: Ista Zahn @ 2014-06-25 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Shiyuan,

On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 3:08 AM, Shiyuan <gshy2014@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>     I am learning R and  use Emacs to work with R. I googled around and I
> found two options: ESS and Org-R/Org-Babel.

Org-Babel and ESS are not really alternatives; in fact the complement
each other nicely. Org gives you a lightweight markup language, and a
way to embed source code blocks. You can edit/evaluate/test R source
code blocks using ESS.

> Babel speaks multiple languages( Any languages?-if we write some sort of
> parser, which I assume is not terribly difficult under Babel?).
>
> But if R is the primary language I would use, which option (Babel-R vs ESS)
> is more advisable? I do want a nice integration of graphics/source code into
> a paper/slides.

Basically if you're using R in emacs you want to be using ESS. You can
also use org-mode to easily create reports, slides, etc. with embedded
R code.

Best,
Ista

> Any suggestions/options are appreciated.
>
> Shiyuan

* Re: Babel-R vs. ESS
@ 2014-06-25 14:44   ` Erik Iverson
From: Erik Iverson @ 2014-06-25 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

+1 for Ista. Use both.

 I tend to write a lot of R code for reading in data, and then merging
it with other sources and cleaning it. For my purposes, I usually do
those activities in a .R file (so using ESS in Emacs), and output a
'tidy' data.frame ready for analysis. Then I might use org-mode to
write a report using the data prepared in the .R script(s).

Related, if you haven't checked out knitr, you might look at that too.
It allows you to create reports in markdown and embed R code, similar
to org-mode. Somewhere I have support for this in ESS, but it's been a
while since I looked at it. Slidify is another cool package, using
markdown to create HTML slides.

On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 9:31 AM, Ista Zahn <istazahn@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Shiyuan,
>
> On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 3:08 AM, Shiyuan <gshy2014@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>     I am learning R and  use Emacs to work with R. I googled around and I
>> found two options: ESS and Org-R/Org-Babel.
>
> Org-Babel and ESS are not really alternatives; in fact the complement
> each other nicely. Org gives you a lightweight markup language, and a
> way to embed source code blocks. You can edit/evaluate/test R source
> code blocks using ESS.
>
>> Babel speaks multiple languages( Any languages?-if we write some sort of
>> parser, which I assume is not terribly difficult under Babel?).
>>
>> But if R is the primary language I would use, which option (Babel-R vs ESS)
>> is more advisable? I do want a nice integration of graphics/source code into
>> a paper/slides.
>
> Basically if you're using R in emacs you want to be using ESS. You can
> also use org-mode to easily create reports, slides, etc. with embedded
> R code.
>

> Best,
> Ista
>>
>> Any suggestions/options are appreciated.
>>
>> Shiyuan

* Re: Babel-R vs. ESS
@ 2014-06-25 17:39 ` Joost Helberg
From: Joost Helberg @ 2014-06-25 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shiyuan; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Shiyuan,

Babel-R uses ESS (session: parameter) for R-evaluation and interactive
development/debugging. Babel-R is more than sufficient for publications
with mixed text and graphs.

regards,

Joost

--