* babel setup
@ 2014-06-09  5:18 Shiyuan
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Shiyuan @ 2014-06-09  5:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,
      I am using Emacs 24.3.9 + org-mode 8.2.6(from ELPA)
      I followed this instruction
http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/languages.html#configure

and added the following to my .emacs file.

(org-babel-do-load-languages
  'org-babel-load-languages
  '((python . t)
    (emacs-lisp . t)))

After that, org-mode mysteriously switched back to the old version 7.9.
 Another problem is that export command C-c C-e no longer works and
generates error: Symbol's function definition is void: org-defvaralias. Is
there any step I missed? Thanks.

Shiyuan

* Re: babel setup
@ 2014-06-09 10:00 ` Jacob Gerlach
From: Jacob Gerlach @ 2014-06-09 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shiyuan; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I think this has to do with autoload, but I am not an emacs or org expert.

Try making sure that (package-initialize) comes before any org functions in
your .emacs (from the answer here
<http://stackoverflow.com/questions/17416738/emacs-initialization-as-org-file-how-can-i-get-the-right-version-of-org-mode>
).

HTH,
Jake

On Mon, Jun 9, 2014 at 1:18 AM, Shiyuan <gshy2014@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>       I am using Emacs 24.3.9 + org-mode 8.2.6(from ELPA)
>       I followed this instruction
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/languages.html#configure
>
> and added the following to my .emacs file.
>
> (org-babel-do-load-languages
>   'org-babel-load-languages
>   '((python . t)
>     (emacs-lisp . t)))
>
> After that, org-mode mysteriously switched back to the old version 7.9.
>  Another problem is that export command C-c C-e no longer works and
> generates error: Symbol's function definition is void: org-defvaralias. Is
> there any step I missed? Thanks.
>
> Shiyuan

* Re: babel setup
@ 2014-06-09 13:48 ` Omid
From: Omid @ 2014-06-09 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

What else do you have in your .emacs related to Org?

(BTW, it would be much better if you could write a more detailed
subject line than "babel setup" like "Using
org-babel-do-load-languages causes Org mode to switch to older
version" so that the right people on the list can more easily
prioritize answering to your email based on how urgent it is.)

--
Omid

Sent from my Emacs
GPG: 0x371DC12B (see https://u.fsf.org/yw)

* Re: babel setup
@ 2014-06-09 14:54 ` Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo
From: Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo @ 2014-06-09 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Shiyuan <gshy2014@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi all,
> I am using Emacs 24.3.9 + org-mode 8.2.6(from ELPA)
> I followed this instruction
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/languages.html#configure
>
> and added the following to my .emacs file.
>
> (org-babel-do-load-languages
> 'org-babel-load-languages
> '((python . t)
> (emacs-lisp . t)))
>
> After that, org-mode mysteriously switched back to the old version
> 7.9. Another problem is that export command C-c C-e no longer works
> and generates error: Symbol's function definition is void:
> org-defvaralias. Is there any step I missed? Thanks.
>
> Shiyuan

Hi Shiyuan,

Have you tried to put (package-initialize) early (say first line) in
your .emacs?

Best,

Jorge.

* Re: babel setup
@ 2014-06-09 15:03   ` psycho_punch
From: psycho_punch @ 2014-06-09 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Yes, I had the same problem earlier (see the thread on required
'ox-publish). Here's what I did:

First, I noticed that the packages get loaded only after initialization, so
I put my org-related initialization script in the after-init-hook. Then
after other people here told me about (package-initialize), I just placed
it somewhere in the beginning of my emacs initialization script, and it
worked as well.

I also removed a similar script for setting up babel since I noticed my
installation works without it anyway. I think those languages are supported
by default.

On Mon, Jun 9, 2014 at 10:54 PM, Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo <
jorge.a.alfaro@gmail.com> wrote:

> Shiyuan <gshy2014@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Hi all,
> > I am using Emacs 24.3.9 + org-mode 8.2.6(from ELPA)
> > I followed this instruction
> > http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/languages.html#configure
> >
> > and added the following to my .emacs file.
> >
> > (org-babel-do-load-languages
> > 'org-babel-load-languages
> > '((python . t)
> > (emacs-lisp . t)))
> >
> > After that, org-mode mysteriously switched back to the old version
> > 7.9. Another problem is that export command C-c C-e no longer works
> > and generates error: Symbol's function definition is void:
> > org-defvaralias. Is there any step I missed? Thanks.
> >
> > Shiyuan
>
> Hi Shiyuan,
>
> Have you tried to put (package-initialize) early (say first line) in
> your .emacs?
>
> Best,
>
> Jorge.

* Re: babel setup
@ 2014-06-09 18:39   ` Shiyuan
From: Shiyuan @ 2014-06-09 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Omid; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

No, I don't have anything else in my .emacs.

Thanks for the suggestion for subject line. Next time, I will write more
meaningful(and longer) subject line.

@ 2014-06-09 18:40   ` Shiyuan
From: Shiyuan @ 2014-06-09 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Yes. Putting (package-initialize) immediately before the
(org-babel-do-load-languages
...) solves the problem.

On Mon, Jun 9, 2014 at 7:54 AM, Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo <
jorge.a.alfaro@gmail.com> wrote:

> Shiyuan <gshy2014@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Hi all,
> > I am using Emacs 24.3.9 + org-mode 8.2.6(from ELPA)
> > I followed this instruction
> > http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/languages.html#configure
> >
> > and added the following to my .emacs file.
> >
> > (org-babel-do-load-languages
> > 'org-babel-load-languages
> > '((python . t)
> > (emacs-lisp . t)))
> >
> > After that, org-mode mysteriously switched back to the old version
> > 7.9. Another problem is that export command C-c C-e no longer works
> > and generates error: Symbol's function definition is void:
> > org-defvaralias. Is there any step I missed? Thanks.
> >
> > Shiyuan
>
> Hi Shiyuan,
>
> Have you tried to put (package-initialize) early (say first line) in
> your .emacs?
>
> Best,
>
> Jorge.

* Re: babel setup